WARNING!!! This is a 'sour grapes" post. "Special Rates" Those professions left out.

A Sixth?

I personally think it is very difficult to make generalizations about people based solely on their careers. There are many different reasons why someone makes the decision to become a fire fighter or a police officer. Some do it because they are truly altruistic while others do it for more pragmatic reasons such as job security and a good pension, without much formal education. Police departments also provide numerous opportunities for cream to rise to the top by having so many different ranks. In my opinion, anyone who is honest and does their job well, while making a contribution to society, is important. On the other hand, it is the cruise line's prerogative to decide what marketing strategy is best for their company and who benefits from them.

Jeez... Seems like I struck a nerve among the 'beltway bandits'...:rolleyes:

Not at all.BTW when I was in the Navy .Flew for standby rates but got a guaranteed seat:D.Hope airline still do this to our proud men and women of our armed forcesRCCL will give rates on select cruises to any VET.You must admit your comparison of being a civilian in a combat zone was silly.Thanks for the laugh

Jeez... Seems like I struck a nerve among the 'beltway bandits'...:rolleyes:

What the heck were you thinking. ;)

FWIW, the local municipal worker is getting clobbered with the furloughs as a result of the trickle down of cutbacks. Life changing amounts and no representation, at least here in NJ. Now in NY, that's another story, no one is afraid to raise their hand there and cry no fair.

Not at all.BTW when I was in the Navy .Flew for standby rates but got a guaranteed seat:D.Hope airline still do this to our proud men and women of our armed forcesRCCL will give rates on select cruises to any VET.You must admit your comparison of being a civilian in a combat zone was silly.Thanks for the laugh

The transportation and vacation industries ought to make deals available to military. Military get jerked around plenty - and can't quit. BTW - I wasn't getting paid much as a civilian back then... true combat zones aren't for civilians (non-Blackwater types).

Most Americans simply don't know WHAT the military make. Most lower enlisted make $20-40k; senior enlisted and non-comms $40-60k with some of them up to $75k. Warrant officers are mostly $50-75k. Commissioned officers - most lower $40-60k; mid-level $60-80k; older career $80-100 up to 120k. The few generals $120-200k. Its offers a great pension structure. I don't object to this.

What I object to is the presumption that the military is starving and underpaid relative to the country at large. Least we forget that average household income in the USA (which is 2 incomes) is less than $50k...

The transportation and vacation industries ought to make deals available to military. Military get jerked around plenty - and can't quit. BTW - I wasn't getting paid much as a civilian back then... true combat zones aren't for civilians (non-Blackwater types).

Most Americans simply don't know WHAT the military make. Most lower enlisted make $20-40k; senior enlisted and non-comms $40-60k with some of them up to $75k. Warrant officers are mostly $50-75k. Commissioned officers - most lower $40-60k; mid-level $60-80k; older career $80-100 up to 120k. The few generals $120-200k. Its offers a great pension structure. I don't object to this.

What I object to is the presumption that the military is starving and underpaid relative to the country at large. Least we forget that average household income in the USA (which is 2 incomes) is less than $50k...

:eek::eek::eek:

You're kidding right!!!!???? That's away more than anything in education here, and the "lucky" will work for at least 35 years before retiring. :rolleyes:

:eek::eek::eek:

You're kidding right!!!!???? That's away more than anything in education here, and the "lucky" will work for at least 35 years before retiring. :rolleyes:

No, he's not kidding. The very young enlisted don't make much but if they stay in, the salaries aren't bad, and are comparable to civil service rates. But, the health benefits are better, and they get to shop at PX's and commissaries (sp?) where they get cut a break. If they can find base housing, their housing costs are less.

Here in the DC area, it is hard to live on the income, and the loss of second income since spouses have it harder to find jobs is a problem.

To make things interesting, the retired vets here in Maryland are lobbying to get out of paying income tax. They actually made a statement as to how hard it was when vets are paying on average 6-10K in income tax.

Sounds bad, but 10K is 8% of $125000. Do you have a $125000 pension? And health care.

Trust me. It's a complicated interesting scenario.

By the way, do Coasties get military discount? They aren't part of DoD. They are part of DoT. They certainly took dangerous jobs putting their lives on the line to rescue boaters.

I am ducking already because I can hear the thunder on the horizon :o but here I go.

Every cruise line out there has "special rates" for Military, police and fire. For example, an online TA has pricing on the Solstice Aug 15th sailing, there's discounts for military and fire and police. The difference between those "special" rates and the ones the rest of us pay is $ 849.00 instead of $ 1,199.00 for a standard balcony. :eek: $350.00 less!

Now I appreciate the guys and girls in the military and fire and police very much and please don't question that, but what about teachers, nurses and care givers. Are they not deserving now and then too?

I did warn everyone that this is a "Sour Grapes" thread... but why are some of the professions always left out of 'special rates"?

I appreciate your honesty, but frankly I laughed.

My son is in the airforce. Do teachers, nurses and caregivers literally risk their lives every day to protect our country??? Are they trained to use guns? Did they go through a grueling 3-month training in awful conditions to train for combat? No. They get to go home every night to a nice comfy bed and see their families.

Yes, the military should get a break.

My son is in the airforce. Do teachers, nurses and caregivers literally risk their lives every day to protect our country??? Are they trained to use guns? Did they go through a grueling 3-month training in awful conditions to train for combat? No. They get to go home every night to a nice comfy bed and see their families.

I don't think many readers and posters here understand the concept of 'sour grapes" which is the title in my OP.

I am taking nothing away from those who are offered discounts, just asking what others could be offered a break too....

Is that so hard to grasp?

BTW I really had no idea that military jobs could pay that well.....

A Sixth, I didn't either until a friend of mine told me how well her daughter and son-in-law, who are officers in the Air Force, are doing. In addition to having excellent salaries, they get free housing and are entitled to shop at discount stores that are only available to people in the military. BTW - my friend, who thinks her military daughter and son-in-law are doing very well financially, is a doctor's daughter, as well as a doctor's wife.

I don't think many readers and posters here understand the concept of 'sour grapes" which is the title in my OP.

I am taking nothing away from those who are offered discounts, just asking what others could be offered a break too....

Is that so hard to grasp?

I think most people understand the meaning of "sour grapes", an expression which means "acting meanly after a disappointment". Or, to put it another way, "I don't want others to have what I cannot get".

You seem truly upset that there are groups of people who get a small price break in recognition of their status in our society while you cannot obtain the same break as a member of another group. While life isn't always fair, I also think that all of us who are able to cruise at all are very lucky indeed and the disappointments in such relatively small details should not even be an issue.

A Sixth, I didn't either until a friend of mine told me how well her daughter and son-in-law, who are officers in the Air Force, are doing. In addition to having excellent salaries, they get free housing and are entitled to shop at discount stores that are only available to people in the military. BTW - my friend, who thinks her military daughter and son-in-law are doing very well financially, is a doctor's daughter, as well as a doctor's wife.

Now if that Doctors daughter were an E1 they and you would feel differently .Sorry to rain on your parade:D

:cj

Now if that Doctors daughter were an E1 they and you would feel differently .Sorry to rain on your parade:D

I have no idea what that code you mentioned is, but I only mentioned the occupation of my friend's husband and father to provide a frame of reference. I obviously never asked my friend what her military children were earning, so I don't know the actual numbers, but felt that if someone with her background considers it to be an excellent salary it probably is. Does that answer your question?

I have no idea what that code you mentioned is, but I only mentioned the occupation of my friend's husband and father to provide a frame of reference. I obviously never asked my friend what her military children were earning but felt that if someone with her background considers it to be an excellent salary it probably is. Does that answer your question?

Most are not officers and do not make anywhere near the money and Officer does

I think most people understand the meaning of "sour grapes", an expression which means "acting meanly after a disappointment". Or, to put it another way, "I don't want others to have what I cannot get".

You seem truly upset that there are groups of people who get a small price break in recognition of their status in our society while you cannot obtain the same break as a member of another group. While life isn't always fair, I also think that all of us who are able to cruise at all are very lucky indeed and the disappointments in such relatively small details should not even be an issue.

Thats how I took it when this thread stated some time ago and was bolstered by many of the same pursuation.

Most are not officers and do not make anywhere near the money and Officer does

One of my associates was the wife of a Marine. There were very large bonus incentives to re-up. Yes, there were housing allowances and PX benefits too. Sadly, with all those things they did not own a home, so I thought great opportunities squandered.

I have no idea what that code you mentioned is, but I only mentioned the occupation of my friend's husband and father to provide a frame of reference. I obviously never asked my friend what her military children were earning, so I don't know the actual numbers, but felt that if someone with her background considers it to be an excellent salary it probably is. Does that answer your question?

You don't have to ask about military pay, the rates are public record.

See details here: http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/militarypaytables/2010WebPayTable34.pdf

Most military members are in the mid to lower "E-" codes, or enlisted codes.

Yes... and it does... But the entire issue of deployment of finite national resources isn't a laughing matter.

If A Sixth seems naive, that's your perspective... From mine, given the resources the country pours into our military, our personnel better NOT "literally risk their lives every day" (that's union drama; we/they better be smarter than that) and most fortunately do not suffer those risks. Most of the USA's 1.8 million military personnel are deployed in the USA, about 150,000 are deployed in the middle east... and we all know what risks that entails (about 6,000 killed and 20,000 seriously wounded over a decade). Those that spend 20-30 years in the military will qualify for pension of 50-75% base pay. That may not go terribly far in recession proof greater DC but they'll be doing quite well in the Carolinas, Colorado, north Florida and other attractive places they may have spent considerable service time. They will almost certainly have higher income generally than other pensioners and if retired in the senior officer grades they may take home more as retirees than a large percent of working families in their areas.

That's why this thread is on the Celebrity forum not Carnival...;)

I thought the meaning of sour grapes was to diminish the value of something you can't obtain to deal with the disappointment. When my daughter was accepted at her first choice college, one of her high school friends, who had applied to the same school, told her that after she visited the school she decided it was a school for geeks and she didn't want to go there. A year later I ran into that girl's mother and she asked me how my daughter liked college. When I told her she loved it, that woman surprised me by telling me how upset her daughter was when she didn't get in. In my opinion, that is a perfect example of sour grapes.

I just do my homework and try to get the best deal I'm qualified for and don't concern myself with what others may pay. I can only spend my own money, so I just do the best I can to take care of myself and those I love. I wouldn't spend one minute envying someone else. If they get a break, good for them.

If you had to switch places with someone else would you give up everything in your life to get everything in theirs?

I thought the meaning of sour grapes was to diminish the value of something you can't obtain to deal with the disappointment. When my daughter was accepted at her first choice college, one of her high school friends, who had applied to the same school, told her that after she visited the school she decided it was a school for geeks and she didn't want to go there. A year later I ran into that girl's mother and she asked me how my daughter liked college. When I told her she loved it, that woman surprised me by telling me how upset her daughter was when she didn't get in. In my opinion, that is a perfect example of sour grapes.

aka, Jealousy.

I just do my homework and try to get the best deal I'm qualified for and don't concern myself with what others may pay. I can only spend my own money, so I just do the best I can to take care of myself and those I love. I wouldn't spend one minute envying someone else. If they get a break, good for them.

If you had to switch places with someone else would you give up everything in your life to get everything in theirs?

No. Most of us who are smart know that the only problems that we could want are our own. When you hear about someone else's, its clear you know you like yours better.

Yes... and it does... But the entire issue of deployment of finite national resources isn't a laughing matter.

If A Sixth seems naive, that's your perspective... From mine, given the resources the country pours into our military, our personnel better NOT "literally risk their lives every day" (that's union drama; we/they better be smarter than that) and most fortunately do not suffer those risks. Most of the USA's 1.8 million military personnel are deployed in the USA, about 150,000 are deployed in the middle east... and we all know what risks that entails (about 6,000 killed and 20,000 seriously wounded over a decade). Those that spend 20-30 years in the military will qualify for pension of 50-75% base pay. That may not go terribly far in recession proof greater DC but they'll be doing quite well in the Carolinas, Colorado, north Florida and other attractive places they may have spent considerable service time. They will almost certainly have higher income generally than other pensioners and if retired in the senior officer grades they may take home more as retirees than a large percent of working families in their areas.

That's why this thread is on the Celebrity forum not Carnival...;)

60,000 were killed and over 300,000 wounded in Viet Nam and you also seem to be ignoring the fact that most do not retire as officers and most have to get another job after they retire.Nice try but you cannot hide the facts with your smoke screen

Archived