1st time cruise for friend that found out she is pregnant!

cruisegirl36

Personally, I wouldn't cruise. Low odds of something happening, but not worth the risk of something happening to the baby, esp. the first and third trimesters as Mr Pete stated . I don't feel thet the Medical Staff is qualified to handle many Obstetric complications or premature infant care.

From my years in the OB offices, if "something happens" in the 1st trimester, there is Nothing that can be done anyway. Its usually natures way (the bodys way) of rejecting a pregnancy that would not have been viable anyway (sad but true) -

I was 3 Months pregnant on my first cruise with my 2nd child and I went to Jamaica and grand cayman. In Jamaica i did the zip lining and in grand cayman I did the sting ray tour.

My wifes water broke while she was putting the boarder up in the babies room and hanging new curtains . I was working a ton of OT at the time and never had time to get around it. When I left work and met her in the ER . "She said I want those curtains up by the time I get home. I put that whole boarder up thats the least you can do" :)

That was 17 years ago and yessssssss I got the curtains up:)

Yes of course she should discuss the don'ts with her doctor but that being said, if it were me it would be one time I would wait until I was onboard before booking any excursions, when I was pregnant one day I would have a ton of energy and the next none. Booking excursions at the last minute would allow y'all the flexibility of taking advantage of days when she has lots of energy and take it easy on days when she's not feeling as energetic. Just my little two cents.

So our best friends are going on the Conquest with us in September(for their first cruise)and she found out today she is pregnant. Its so new she hasnt even went to the doctor yet. BUT I told her we need to change some of our excursion ideas around. We were planning on doing the ATV in Jamaica and me not having children and this being her first we dont know anything but I thinks it best we dont do that.

Help us out on what she shouldnt do while on the cruise (other than the obvious, dont drink) and what kind of excursions we should in Jamaica and Grand Caymans? We are going to Nachi Cocom in Cozumel so we already have that planned.

I want to make this cruise so great that they want to come back with us in the future even though she may be limited since she is pregnant.

Ask the doctor, not a cruise message board. Though I suspect that in September (it is mid July already) she will have no limitations other than alcohol and medications.

Personally, I wouldn't cruise. Low odds of something happening, but not worth the risk of something happening to the baby, esp. the first and third trimesters as Mr Pete stated . I don't feel thet the Medical Staff is qualified to handle many Obstetric complications or premature infant care.

You can't sail during the third trimester, only before your 24th week. If you miscarry before that time, the baby would not be viable, but the mother could still have a medical emergency: hemorraging to death being one of them. Yes, it happens. I'm not saying I wouldn't travel pregnant, but would be aware of the possibilities.

As many other have said, this shouldn't be a place for this type of advice. She can discuss it with her doctor and go from there fully and correctly advised.

I must need a nap! I looked at this and thought it said: Things like smoking would be relaxing for her. :eek: :D

That is hilarious, I thought I saw the same thing sitting here at work at 3:30 in the morning

she can eat seafood but it is not recommended for the first or second trimester and she should not eat any deep water fish.the levels of mercury in a deep water seafood can injure a babies growing brain and cause all kinds of problems .

Well I am surprised all the negativity about asking on the board ideas of what to maybe do as excursions or things to watch for. As I said neither of us have had a child so I was hoping to have some things for her to ask her doctor about. For instance, swimming in the ocean or what pills she could take. Just wanted to give her questions to go to the doctor with. We defiantely dont want to do the ATV excursion we had thought about doing and some of the beach parties wouldnt necessarily be worth the money because she can not drink. I think we may take a tour in Jamaica not sure yet and maybe the same in Grand Cayman. We had already planned Nachi Cocom which I still think will be worth the $48 even though she cant drink

I cruised while I was pregnant. Nachi will be great she can relax on the beach or at a pool. Jamaica we did an all inclusive excursion - however - the food was "odd". Honestly, rainforest tours all take you shopping and those cabs are incredible hot - could be very uncomfortable.

I do think it is a good idea to play it by ear. Some of the stuff I am reading blows my mind, but I think you are on the right track. Hot tub usage - probably not, salt water - never heard of anything like that as a restriction. Bring low comfortable shoes to avoid any accidents.

Speak to her doctor and relax. Each person is different. Enjoy!

Well I am surprised all the negativity about asking on the board ideas of what to maybe do as excursions or things to watch for. As I said neither of us have had a child so I was hoping to have some things for her to ask her doctor about.

By people saying "we don't know, ask your doctor stupid!", they really mean "um, I don't know, but let me show everyone how clever I am by channeling Captain Obvious." :rolleyes: Of course your friend is going to consult her doctor. Don't worry about all the negative nellies. They're on every thread. I hope you guys have a great time and that your friend feels well by September. I like someone else's suggestion about waiting a bit to book any "active" excursions to see if she's up to it. I'm at the end of my 1st trimester now, and one day I'm prancing around the gym sweating, and the next day you couldn't get me off the couch if the house were burning down! Hormones are awesome! ;)

Well I am surprised all the negativity about asking on the board ideas of what to maybe do as excursions or things to watch for. As I said neither of us have had a child so I was hoping to have some things for her to ask her doctor about. For instance, swimming in the ocean or what pills she could take. Just wanted to give her questions to go to the doctor with. We defiantely dont want to do the ATV excursion we had thought about doing and some of the beach parties wouldnt necessarily be worth the money because she can not drink. I think we may take a tour in Jamaica not sure yet and maybe the same in Grand Cayman. We had already planned Nachi Cocom which I still think will be worth the $48 even though she cant drink

Is she asking YOU for all this help? And then you're asking complete strangers? She married?

WHAT PILLS SHE COULD TAKE??????

Is she asking YOU for all this help? And then you're asking complete strangers? She married?

WHAT PILLS SHE COULD TAKE??????

That's not really that ridiculous of a question. When women get pregnant, they go to their doctors. At their first appt, their doctors usually give them a list of medications that are safe for a variety of common ailments. One of these ailments is nausea. This is essentially a universal list that all pregnant women know about. There are many pregnant or formerly pregnant women on these boards. So, you see, she's not asking complete strangers. She's asking people who've been there, done that. And, might I add, AT NO TIME DID SHE SAY HER FRIEND WOULD NOT SEE HER DOCTOR FIRST! Yes, I meant to shout. :p

That's not really that ridiculous of a question. When women get pregnant, they go to their doctors. At their first appt, their doctors usually give them a list of medications that are safe for a variety of common ailments. One of these ailments is nausea. This is essentially a universal list that all pregnant women know about. There are many pregnant or formerly pregnant women on these boards. So, you see, she's not asking complete strangers. She's asking people who've been there, done that. And, might I add, AT NO TIME DID SHE SAY HER FRIEND WOULD NOT SEE HER DOCTOR FIRST! Yes, I meant to shout. :p

I could understand her asking about what activities other pregnant women who have "been there, done that" have done.

But asking about medications-doesn't matter what someone else has done, was not allowed to do, was told not to do, or was told is okay. THAT is a question strictly for her doctor, who is the only one who knows her medical history, her current routine medications, her risk for complications, etc. I see people asking medication questions all the time on here, and that's just not a wise thing to do. Well meaning but unqualified individuals really need to stay out of the medication advice business. I'm a nurse and people occasionally ask me to answer questions that are out of my scope. The correct response is "ask your doctor and follow his advice."

I don't think anyone thinks she won't see her doctor:rolleyes: I believe people were advising her that all her questions should be directed to the doctor......not strangers on the internet....

And I would wager to bet if she is in great health her doctor will tell her any kind of excursion would be up to her and how she felt......in other words just use common sense......

I could understand her asking about what activities other pregnant women who have "been there, done that" have done.

But asking about medications-doesn't matter what someone else has done, was not allowed to do, was told not to do, or was told is okay. THAT is a question strictly for her doctor, who is the only one who knows her medical history, her current routine medications, her risk for complications, etc. I see people asking medication questions all the time on here, and that's just not a wise thing to do. Well meaning but unqualified individuals really need to stay out of the medication advice business. I'm a nurse and people occasionally ask me to answer questions that are out of my scope. The correct response is "ask your doctor and follow his advice."

Go back and read the original question. She didn't even ask about pills. She asked about excursions. Then someone mentioned to have the friend ask her dr about seasickness medication. And she said she would. There's nothing wrong with other posters giving her suggestions about what to ask her doctor. Give the poor girl a break.

From my years in the OB offices, if "something happens" in the 1st trimester, there is Nothing that can be done anyway. Its usually natures way (the bodys way) of rejecting a pregnancy that would not have been viable anyway (sad but true) -

This is a very true statement! We were on a cruise in November 2008 and I had a miscarriage one week after we returned. It had nothing to do with the cruise or anything that I did. (No alcohol or over-doing it on excursions).

It was just one of those things....

Go back and read the original question. She didn't even ask about pills. She asked about excursions. Then someone mentioned to have the friend ask her dr about seasickness medication. And she said she would. There's nothing wrong with other posters giving her suggestions about what to ask her doctor. Give the poor girl a break.

I thought she had asked about which pills to take, so point taken. Nevertheless, I DID NOT give her a hard time, so your last statement is uneccessary. My response was not inflammatory or critical, just good advice.

I don't think anyone thinks she won't see her doctor:rolleyes: I believe people were advising her that all her questions should be directed to the doctor......not strangers on the internet....

Yes, I agree that is the sentiment most are expressing. It's just good common sense and nothing to get so defensive about.

YOU'RE JOKING!

Are YOU prepared to tell her what pills to take? And it's not even for her; it's for her friend?

And if not you, are you suggesting others tell her to tell her friend what pills to take?

Good gravy Marie!

I thought she had asked about which pills to take, so point taken. Nevertheless, I DID NOT give her a hard time, so your last statement is uneccessary. My response was not inflammatory or critical, just good advice.

Yup. It's there. :rolleyes:

Yup. It's there. :rolleyes:

I think I know what they are trying to say. In the original email (very 1st one), she didn't ask anything about pills. In her response that you have quoted, she was using that for an example as to the types of things her friend needs to ask her doctor, but she never came out and asked about which type of pills she could take. She was mostly asking about the excursions.

However, bottom line is this: her friend just needs to talk to her doctor when she goes. Her doctor will know best as to what she needs to avoid.

Archived