Tours from Cherbourg to Mont Saint Michel

I am trying to arrange a tour from Cherbourg to Mont Saint Michel. While there is much information about tours to WW II sites, there is very little about tours to Mont Saint Michel. The two companies I have contacted are Westcapades and Normandy Sightseeing Tours. Does anyone have any experience with either company? We're not looking for a lot of bells and whistles, just a nice drive up (with commentary would be nice), take us to the Abbey, let us walk around town for a little and then take us back to the ship. It is a 2-1/2 hour drive from the port to MSM so I am trying to decide if the ship's tour might be our best option.

Thanks for any info you have.

The run down to Mont St Michel is very straightforward, perhaps just a little boring but with little time to go exploring off-route.

Info on Mt St Michel is easy enough to get.

So a tour driver/guide might be a bit of an extravagance.

I rate a car or van rental as your best option.

Betcha there'll be folk on your roll-call looking for rental sharers, rather than tour sharers.

John Bull

We took a ships tour. It included a nice lunch with a view of Mont St Michel. Due to our ships schedule, we could not spend the day nor explore as much as we would have liked. But we enjoyed the trip.

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...

6 of us used Pierre Doublet at www.cabtourservices.com out of Cherbourg for a day in Bayeux. You might inquire about Mont St Michel, I think he

goes there. He was very nice, full of excellent knowledge but unassuming and allowed everyone to do their own thing without us feeling rushed. I had little trouble finding folks to share this tour on my Roll Call.

I'm the OP and I thought I'd share our experience and final decision from our trip there three years ago. I emailed a few companies but the most realistic offer came from http://www.normandy-sightseeing-tours.com/en/. At this point, I cannot remember why we did not use them but I think there were several factors. First and foremost, Mont Saint Michel is a long way from port and all you're doing is getting there and getting back. Once you arrive there, everyone is in the same situation - you have to climb the steps to the top of the mountain. It doesn't matter whether you got to the parking lot in a big bus or a mini-van. While we are usually in favor of private tours, we chose to take a ship tour for Mont Saint Michel. I'm also pretty sure that the cost of the ship tour was comparable to a private tour so going on our own (and running the risk of a delay on the long road back) just did not seem worth it.

We were on Celebrity and they provided us with a wonderful day. Mont Saint Michel is beautiful.

Thank you 2theship. I appreciate your response. Our cruise is next September. I have done the Normandy beaches so I really want to visit Mont St. Michel. As yet, Celebrity is not showing an excursion there. Perhaps, it will be added later. When a site is so far away from port, I too prefer to book with the ship. No worries about missing the boat.

Thank you 2theship. I appreciate your response. Our cruise is next September. I have done the Normandy beaches so I really want to visit Mont St. Michel. As yet, Celebrity is not showing an excursion there. Perhaps, it will be added later. When a site is so far away from port, I too prefer to book with the ship. No worries about missing the boat.

We were on the Celebrity Eclipse, the transatlantic that sailed October 31 so it was very early November when we stopped in Cherbourg. While an excursion to Mont Saint Michel was offered, it was sold out when we first saw it. Apparently they added extra buses because more openings became available as we got closer to sailing. Looking back at my old files, we booked the trip about six weeks before sailing. I hope they give you the option.

Archived