Tortola Charters

lozzie

We arranged a trip to the Baths; however, the waves were too big. Bill said it was not worth the risk, so we would go snorkling at "the caves". I was very skeptical but he did not pressure us to go in the least. After talking with the fam, we decided to do it, what the heck. It was already in the trip budget and it was better than walking around aimlessly.

We had a great time. Everyone had fun, saw some neat stuff, and was allowed to exolore at their own pace. Then we went to a beach with a bar (i snorkled instead) and had more fun. We returned with about 15 minutes to shop, and had a super time, though YMMV.

I told the family it was like planning a trip to Paris and the plane taking you to Rome. Not what was expected, but still a great trip to Europe

Too bad that you missed the Baths but I like that Bill had a back-up plan in place, we hope we don't have the issue in January but it is good to know that there are options if we do :)

Thanks for posting

Tortola Charters made a good choice to keep folks safe and still provide for a nice snorkelling trip to boot. So Hats off to them as they sound very proffesional with dealing with adversity and issues in general. Seems like a few posters have a personal AGENDA on here against them for some reason. I have not used them but certailnly looking forward to in Late February based on many good reviews compared to a couple of negative ones.. Stay tuned!

Our group of 10 was one of the ones left holding the bag with Tortola Charters on 10/25/10. I cannot tell you how disappointed we were as this was to be the highlight of our cruise. It had been seven years since our last visit to Jost and we were so excited to be going back again. My son planned to propose to his girlfriend that day. Can you imagine how crushed he was? I emailed Bill Dyess the day before leaving to ensure all was okay so we could make other arrangements if not. I was assured that even though there was a coast guard inspection, we still would have no problems. It was not to be. Below is what I posted on one of their many facebook pages. . . it pretty much sums it up. If I had torn into them like I really feel like doing, I was afraid it would have been taken down.

I'd really love to say good things about Tortola Charters, but I'm afraid I can't. You see, I never got to go out on one of their boats. After a year long planning of a cruise and seven years dreaming of going back to Jost Van Dyke, Bill Dyess and Company left us sitting in the hot sun for well over two hours back on... October 25, 2010. I should have known it was a bad sign when we waited on the sidewalk for 30 minutes while the van hawkers laughed and told us we weren't going anywhere that day but even as we were hearded over to a little boat through a thicket, I still held high hopes in my heart that even though time was growing shorter every minute, we would still make what for us was to be the highlight of our cruise. It never happened. After this unbelievable wait with no info and after all the vans with air conditioning were long gone, we were finally told there was engine trouble on both boats and that Tortola Charters could get us to Jost, but couldn't get us back. Bottom line... we were screwed.

Now, I know everyone has a bad day and that unplanned, unfortunate things happen to all of us, but I have to admit I at least would have liked to see a little emotion or something in the form of an apology but I guess since Bill sees Jost all the time, he just doesn't get as excited about it as we do. As a matter of a fact, we got very little explanation/emotion at all. He certainly didn't seem as regretful as I would have it I thought I had blown a group of people's only vacation day in the Virgin Islands. With as many boats as there were in the harbor, one would think he might could have called in some connections to get those people depending on him out on an excursion one way or another. I try to be fair in reviews and I have debated and debated on whether to write a negative one but I think it's only fair to let others know that you you might need to think twice about depending on this group to take you somewhere you may never get to see again.

Tortola Charters made a good choice to keep folks safe and still provide for a nice snorkelling trip to boot. So Hats off to them as they sound very proffesional with dealing with adversity and issues in general. Seems like a few posters have a personal AGENDA on here against them for some reason. I have not used them but certailnly looking forward to in Late February based on many good reviews compared to a couple of negative ones.. Stay tuned!

We are scheduled with Bill for our upcoming January cruise, I will come back and post a review. Fingers crossed that he and his crew provide excellent service as they were highly recommended here

Our group of 10 was one of the ones left holding the bag with Tortola Charters on 10/25/10. I cannot tell you how disappointed we were as this was to be the highlight of our cruise. It had been seven years since our last visit to Jost and we were so excited to be going back again. My son planned to propose to his girlfriend that day. Can you imagine how crushed he was? I emailed Bill Dyess the day before leaving to ensure all was okay so we could make other arrangements if not. I was assured that even though there was a coast guard inspection, we still would have no problems. It was not to be. Below is what I posted on one of their many facebook pages. . . it pretty much sums it up. If I had torn into them like I really feel like doing, I was afraid it would have been taken down.

I'd really love to say good things about Tortola Charters, but I'm afraid I can't. You see, I never got to go out on one of their boats. After a year long planning of a cruise and seven years dreaming of going back to Jost Van Dyke, Bill Dyess and Company left us sitting in the hot sun for well over two hours back on... October 25, 2010. I should have known it was a bad sign when we waited on the sidewalk for 30 minutes while the van hawkers laughed and told us we weren't going anywhere that day but even as we were hearded over to a little boat through a thicket, I still held high hopes in my heart that even though time was growing shorter every minute, we would still make what for us was to be the highlight of our cruise. It never happened. After this unbelievable wait with no info and after all the vans with air conditioning were long gone, we were finally told there was engine trouble on both boats and that Tortola Charters could get us to Jost, but couldn't get us back. Bottom line... we were screwed.

Now, I know everyone has a bad day and that unplanned, unfortunate things happen to all of us, but I have to admit I at least would have liked to see a little emotion or something in the form of an apology but I guess since Bill sees Jost all the time, he just doesn't get as excited about it as we do. As a matter of a fact, we got very little explanation/emotion at all. He certainly didn't seem as regretful as I would have it I thought I had blown a group of people's only vacation day in the Virgin Islands. With as many boats as there were in the harbor, one would think he might could have called in some connections to get those people depending on him out on an excursion one way or another. I try to be fair in reviews and I have debated and debated on whether to write a negative one but I think it's only fair to let others know that you you might need to think twice about depending on this group to take you somewhere you may never get to see again.

WOW - seems the customer service was not there :( Did you receive a refund, what if any conversation did you have with Tortola Charters.

May I ask what you did for the day?

• 2 weeks later...

We had a great experience at the Baths with Bill Dyess (tortolacharters.com) on Dec 14th. There were 10 couples on the tour from the ship and it lasted about 5.5 hours. We cruised to the Baths and snorkeled to the beach. Bill then led the group on a tour through the Baths rocks. In some places, the space between the rocks was narrow in both height and/or width. Everyone enjoyed!! We then snorkeled in the area in front of the Baths where some took the challenge of a deep dive through a small cave. We spent over one hour cruising the coast and returning to the ship. All snorkeling equipment was provided along with a swim belt and rum punch. From my perspective, the excursion was excellent and the value compared to the ship’s tour was unquestionable.

We had a great experience at the Baths with Bill Dyess (tortolacharters.com) on Dec 14th. There were 10 couples on the tour from the ship and it lasted about 5.5 hours. We cruised to the Baths and snorkeled to the beach. Bill then led the group on a tour through the Baths rocks. In some places, the space between the rocks was narrow in both height and/or width. Everyone enjoyed!! We then snorkeled in the area in front of the Baths where some took the challenge of a deep dive through a small cave. We spent over one hour cruising the coast and returning to the ship. All snorkeling equipment was provided along with a swim belt and rum punch. From my perspective, the excursion was excellent and the value compared to the ship’s tour was unquestionable.

Did you do a private tour or just one of their regular tours. We are booked with them next month and we did a private tour for 11 of us - I have been to The Baths previously but no one else in our group has, I am excited to see their expressions :)

How far of a swim from the boat (I assume he dropped anchor) to the shore?

Our excursion was their regular vs a private one.

The distance to the beach was approx 150 to 200 ft. One of the crew was in a kayak in case anyone needed assistance. Most also wore the swim belt.

Our excursion was their regular vs a private one.

The distance to the beach was approx 150 to 200 ft. One of the crew was in a kayak in case anyone needed assistance. Most also wore the swim belt.

Thanks so much for your response - can I ask one more question, how did you pay them; cash, credit card, at pier?

Im so excited for this excursion - more so than the cruise :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
We're booked on the Baths excursion.....can someone tell me if there is a boat available to take things to shore on the beach like towels, etc..? I swear I read that somewhere but I'm not able to find it now.

Thanks in advance!

I wish I had the answer for you but you are going on the tour with them before we are......can you come back and please give a review :)

Thanks

On our excursion, they had a kayak which could bring items to the beach from the boat but no one elected to spend any time on the beach. More time was used snorkeling, jumping off the boat and swimming. On their website, they do recommend bringing a "dry bag".

We booked with Tortola Charters to go to Jost Van Dyke on our Pearl Cruise in November. We actually were on the same cruise as MissRabbit who posted earlier and had a bad experience going to the Baths with Tortola Charters. We were the polar opposite on our excursion. We loved the trip and had the best day ever. We met Bill just past the second gate in the parking lot and once we were all accounted for he led us to the boat. It was a two deck catamaran type boat with plenty of room we were a party of 8, there was a party of 2 and then a family of like 38. I have to say that it was the best excursion of our cruise. We snorkeled, ate at the Soggy Dollar Bar and then relaxed and rested on the beach. We had Captain Vince on our boat and him and the staff were wonderful. I would recommend Tortola Charters trip to Jost Van Dyke again and again. :) Here are a few of my pictures from the ride to Jost and while on Jost. The picture of the boat in the water is the one we traveled to the island on. Happy cruising!

IMG_1305.jpg.027b5fda7a9fdd9385906b8ad98a42f0.jpg

IMG_1306.jpg.9652698325ab82d63c3f993569287bb9.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg.8e58ae72523aa7d8a4bf1173fc8c9c7f.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg.62b1402c7250b48afe0d918473932ca4.jpg

Sun - thanks for the positive report - we are using Bill on our upcoming trip and going to The Baths. Makes me feel a whole lot better about our choice

TJW - good information, thanks. I think some of our group will want to go off and explore the Boulders and possibly grab a beverage at Ivans

My family and I used Tortola Charters for a trip to Jost Van Dyke on Christmas Day, and everyone had a great experience. Bill and Ginger were great and very nice, I would highly recommend taking a tour with them next time you are on Tortola. Cannot wait to go back to Jost Van Dyke with Tortola Charters next time I am in the BVI's.

My family and I used Tortola Charters for a trip to Jost Van Dyke on Christmas Day, and everyone had a great experience. Bill and Ginger were great and very nice, I would highly recommend taking a tour with them next time you are on Tortola. Cannot wait to go back to Jost Van Dyke with Tortola Charters next time I am in the BVI's.

Thanks - we are booked with Bill and his crew for The Baths but it is great to know that you had a great day with him. We are counting down the days....

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning to spend our time at White Bay (Soogy Dollar). Do you suggest I book ahead of time or wait until we are there and do it. Is the only option to get there through Tortola Charters? I don't mind just don't want to waste precious time.

Thanks

When you return from Jost Van Dyke, let me know how they handled beach bags and things like that. We can swim over without any problem, but I am curious how they handle the extras.

Thanks

I have heard they have waterproof containers or something like that to bring our stuff up to land in. I'll let you know though how it's done when we return.

I am planning to spend our time at White Bay (Soogy Dollar). Do you suggest I book ahead of time or wait until we are there and do it. Is the only option to get there through Tortola Charters? I don't mind just don't want to waste precious time.

Thanks

This is how we plan to go, and from what I hear Tortola Charters is a good company. I'm sure there are other boats you can use to get there, but for $55/person with Tortola Charters, I don't think you can beat that.

We are getting ready for our trip to Tortola and have booked with Tortola Charters - going to the Baths.......his response to all of our questions and confirmation have been spot on

I think any time you can do a private tour without going through the cruise line you have a better experience, not to mention the cost savings

I will certainly do a full report when we get back....

Less than two weeks and we'll be enjoying beverages on deck!

Archived