Disposable camera + Foodsaver = waterproof?

I was just wondering if anyone had tried putting disposable cameras in "foodsaver" vacuum bags for underwater use.

I don't have a camera anymore as I use my phone for photos, so I'm thinking of going disposable for my dives on my upcoming trip. Alas, no underwater cameras have a good depth rating. I figured that if I vacuum seal a camera...then it shouldn't get any water in it.

Just wondering if anyone had tried this before for diving.

But I like to dive deeper then the 17 foot maximum those cameras allow. I could put one of them in a food-saver vacuum bag...but the extra cost for the "waterproof" would only be worth it if the hard plastic case kept the camera from getting squished in the vacuum.

Best depth I've found on a disposable was 50 feet, and if I go to a wreck I'm looking at 100+ at times. Removing the air from the bag seems like it would do the trick....just wondering if anyone has tried it though.

I teach photography, and while I haven't tried this method, I don't have a good feeling about it:

First, those disposable cameras have plastic lenses. And you're talking about placing another piece of plastic over the lens. A piece of plastic that won't be held steady in front of the lens. I think you're going to get pictures that're a bit blurry.

Second, a regular disposable is no different from a waterproof disposable (except, of course, for the housing). Whatever makes the waterproof disposable good only to 17 foot will also be true of the plain disposable. They don't discuss it on the packaging because they don't have any idea that you might take a plain disposable underwater.

I don't know whether I'm right or wrong, but the experiment wouldn't cost much. If you lose the camera, it's only $10 or so. The loss would be in the pictures.

Can you rent a good underwater camera? Buy one on ebay?

If you do try this, go with a Fuji camera. They have superior blues/greens, making them better for underwater photographs, whereas Kodak's strength is in the yellow/browns.

Yeah, my biggest concern is putting another piece of plastic over the lens.....and then not even knowing if the pictures were any good till getting them developed.

As far as the underwater disposables, I always thought they were a "gasket" style of waterproofing, which was what gave them their low depth rating....where I'd have one in a completely sealed bag. Since pressure goes up as I go under water, I'd think it would be ok to keep some air in the bag since it would compress as it went deeper.

I think I'll try it with a camera for the heck of it....my budget isn't going to allow for the purchase of an underwater camera, and the last one I had weighed too much that it made diving un-fun (but it could go to 130 feet).

I'll let you know and post pictures if it works. If not, I prob won't admit to my failure. :-)

Archived