RCCL Adventure Ocean and Special Needs

Babyberger

Has anyone with a child with special needs participated in Adventure Ocean on Oasis or any other RCCL ship recently?

My son has Asperger’s Sydrome and for the most part we did not have any major issues on Freedom when we sailed last summer, but then again most of the staff did not understand the actual disorder and just called us with any problems that arose (most of the time).

I was just curious to see if anyone has had any experience with this on Oasis and how they felt the AO staff handled their child and his/her needs.

If you would rather respond to me personally, please do so at babyberger@att.net

My son is on the spectrum as well. Our last cruise was about 2 years ago and he was in the RCCL Adventure Ocean camp. Even though he was not potty trained yet they still allowed him to participate. They gave me a pager in case they needed to get a hold of me. He really enjoyed it and I felt like the counselors were very helpful.

Our next cruise is in Oct. and we are going on Carnival this time so I hope they do as well with special needs as RCCL did. We actually booked our cruise through Autism On The Seas and they will provide us with many helpful services for my son. Here is the info. from their website, www.autismontheseas.com that they will provide at no extra cost. If you have already booked your cruise with the cruise line or another travel agent you can just transfer it over to them.

Autism Individual Cruise Package includes:

- Our Guidance

We've made cruising with autism our expertise and we're here

to help you. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or

concerns, especially as it relates to autism and cruising.

- Prices you find on the Cruise Line websites, are the prices you pay.

- Special Children Nametags more info

- Cruise PECS more info- Cruise Social Story more info

- Small Dinner Table just for your family more info

- Pre-Cruise Questionnaire to aid the onboard Children

Counselors more info

- All of the regular services and activities on board each Cruise Line

- Special Dietary Accommodations

- Priority Boarding onto Ship more info

- Priority Disembarkation from Ship more info

- Private Muster Drill Area more info

- Autism Awareness Cards for Cruise Staff

access-on-the-seas%20Wheelchair.gif Access and Services for People with Disabilities more info

- Professional Medical Physicians and Nurses more info

- Special Gifts

- Special Potty Training Provisions more info

- Special Children's Program Grouping Rules more info

- Exemption for Dinner Dress Code more info

- Most "Special" Requests and Needs met

- Group Discounts available.

We have a 16 yr old with HFA. We;re going on the Oasis in Aug. We've done many Royal cruises and they've always been great, sometimes letting him move down a group (since the older kids are more mature). This time he'll probably go into the teen group. I will let you know how we make out.

We have a 16 yr old with HFA. We;re going on the Oasis in Aug. We've done many Royal cruises and they've always been great, sometimes letting him move down a group (since the older kids are more mature). This time he'll probably go into the teen group. I will let you know how we make out.

I am glad you mentioned the moving down a group, I have been thinking a lot about that. He will be 7 1/2 so on the older end of the 6-8 group, but I dont know if that is going to be the right fit. I am thinking that I am going to have to make the decision once we are on the ship and meet the counselors, etc. I also have a daughter who will be over 5 1/2 that I could ask to be moved up to be with him, let counselors know when he is upset, etc...she is very protective of him around other people. Have a great time on your cruise! I cannot wait to hear how it goes :D

Thanks, I'll write myself a note to come back here! last yr on Carnival he was 15 but he went into the 12-14 group, but I'm thinking he's too old this year to go down a group. We have some people on our roll call w/boys near his age, I'm going to try and get him to email and maybe they can 'hang out" a bit together, if they're not too mature.

• 2 months later...

I just remembered I was supposed to report back here about our trip. My son had a great time on the Oasis in the 15-17 yr old group. I spoke to the counselor at the beginning, he said better to keep him with his age (16 1/2) because he's tall and in the 12-14 he would stand out. I went back once and the counselor said he was fine, doing a "Meet & Greet". There was a smallish group of kids who went every day - they did most of the activities, or just "hung out". At night he went to Club Fuel, danced, loved it - stayed out till almost 2AM every night. I'm sorry that next year will be his last year in the clubs.

Archived