Eastern or Southern Caribbean?

alcie

We're going to be traveling with 2 kids, ages 3 & 6 next year and we're trying to decide which itinerary to do. It will like be on RCCL, I like the Eastern Caribbean on Oasis or Allure of the Seas. I think it would be easier because there are fewer ports plus the ships look really fun. Hubby likes Southern Caribbean on Serenade of the Seas because of all the ports. The ports look cool but I worry about finding excursions and the ship looks a little smaller. Which would you rather do with 2 small kids?

You can check out the excursions by ports on the Royal Caribbean website. It will tell you about age requirments for each excursion if there is one. This may be helpful in helping you pick out an itinerary.

I haven't done eastern or southern yet so I haven't researched it. I was very limited for my 7-year-old for excursions in Roatan and Belize on our western cruise.

I personally prefer the Southern Cruises. St. Thomas and St. Martin are fine but I'm tired of going there. A 3 and 7 year old are not going to notice that the ship is smaller. I say do whatever makes you happy. We tend to do it ourselves when we get off of the ships and make our own schedules. It's much easier than trying to follow an excursion with a small child.

My hubby LOVES ports...hates sea days. If your hubby will be totally unhappy with a bunch of sea days, do the port-intensive itinerary. No sense making him hate cruising for that!

If you don't want to leave the ship, you don't have to...but give him the option!

The kids are lucky to be on a cruise at all...I really wouldn't take their opinion into consideration....they'll be happy either way!

Our girls will be 2 and 6 when we sail in February and we faced a similar choice - we've done eastern twice, and were thinking it may be time for something different. I would LOVE to do southern someday, but the southern routes are very port intensive. I couldn't face the thought of all that planning, and schlepping (not to mention the carseat dilemmna) every single day, and I would hate to miss any of them (if they kids were having a bad day) since they would all be places that I've never been. Ports and/or excursions are no fun for anyone if the kids are tired and cranky, especially after 2 or 3 days on the go... So we opted for Eastern again - an extra sea day or two for some R&R and easier to plan for ports that we know and have visited before - St. Martin and Bahamas are easily walkable, and given the latest sad, sad news out of St. Thomas, we may just stay on the ship! And if you're considering Oasis or Allure for Eastern, the ship will be a destination in itself... we're doing Disney for similar reasons. We will do southern when the kids are a bit older and we'll all be able to relax and enjoy it more :)

Archived