OBC exhange rate.

doddsy

Has anyone else had this problem?

In March we were quoted an on board exchange rate of $2.02 dollars to the pound, we were told that this was our personal rate for booking early, and that this rate was guaranteed untill sailing in sep 2010.

However when ringing to buy we were told that the policy has changed and we can only receive the going rate at this moment.

Although we understand the reasons for this change, we feel that we should have been advised about the change of policy, this would have allowed us to buy at our guaranteed rate.

Can anyone advise :confused:

In March we were quoted an on board exchange rate of $2.02 dollars to the pound, we were told that this was our personal rate for booking early, and that this rate was guaranteed untill sailing in sep 2010.

However when ringing to buy we were told that the policy has changed and we can only receive the going rate at this moment.

Although we understand the reasons for this change, we feel that we should have been advised about the change of policy, this would have allowed us to buy at our guaranteed rate.

Who knows what happened; I've never heard of anyone else on here being guaranteed a future OBC rate at the time of booking, or that the rate had anything to do with booking early. Most of us who got a favourable rate already had, or were about to make, a booking, read about it on here, and were on the phone like scalded cats to take advantage of Cunard's largesse.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Mary

Has anyone else had this problem?

Hi Doddsy. There are other recent examples of Cunard changing its policy without advising passengers, so it would appear Cunard has taken the position that they can change the rules at will without notifying their customers in advance. I find this rather disquieting. Perhaps a remedy would be to request that Cunard send a written confirmation of any verbal

statements in the future.

Sorry for your dilema; I have no advice regarding your current situation as I am on the other side of the pond, but I'm sure those that do will respond shortly.

Regards,

Salacia

:eek:

Please tell me that the onboard pricing is in dollars... :)

I see that you're in the UK so I can understand why you would have been pleased with that rate.

everything on board is in US dollars. They are talking about the exchange rate that Cunard uses to translate dollars charged into British Stirling.

The offered rate was for purchase at the time of the request and most of us were overjoyed at this offer and "filled our boots" Of course it really was too good to last and was soon withdrawn.

If you were told that the rate would be held to September the information was obviously wrong.

To paraphraise Weegee "Offers like this are like blintzes ya gotta get em while they're hot"

David.

Yes, Cunard decided that there was a possibility of you money laundering and living fat off the profits of your crime, so they decided to change it ;)

Whilst this was the official line, it seems to me that they realised they were offering a rediculous amount and put a stop to it. Whilst you can probably feel hard done by at losing out on the $2.02, it can (with some justification) be argued that you haven't actually lost out on anything because it was never a legitimate rate as set out in any conditions to begin with - that is certainly how the Cunard lawyers appear to see it which is why they brought it in.

For the last few years, Cunard offered OBC's at a very favourable rate for us Brits.

It started out purely as gift vouchers for purchase by friends of the pax, then morphed into a free for all.

We got $2.02 for our June trip, but by that time, the goalposts were already moving and they places a $500 limit at that rate, which we obviously took anyway.

However, around the end of May, they not only moved the goalposts, but took the ball away as well.

So, I'm afraid you've missed the boat, if you pardon the pun.

Stewart

Archived