Why Not More Mexican Food Onboard?

globe9

OK, we get it. You don't like Mexican food. Was it necessary to be so rude in answering the OP's question?

Globe9, I don't know about the Triumph, but they did have a burrito station on the Freedom last year that was open limited hours. I wasn't too impressed with the food there. Also tried the Burrito bar on the Dream recently and it was pretty good, but also open very limited hours.

Hope you find something similar on the Triumph.

Probably because everyone's idea of "Mexican Food" is different. I love Mexican Food at home but am usually very disappointed when I try it anywhere else. TexMex is not the same as California or Arizona Mexican and chains are something else all together.

Just what I was going to say. I'm from Arizona, and I love Sonoran style the best. Santa Fe is pretty good, but I don't care for Tex-Mex at all. Food in Mexico differs by region, too and we have a restaurant here in Phoenix that makes it "Mexico City" style. ho-hum. I like most of what I've gotten in Mazatlan, but the bottom line is there is no ONE Mexican food even though Mexican families here own the restaurants and taught us to cook it.

OK, we get it. You don't like Mexican food. Was it necessary to be so rude in answering the OP's question?

Who were you referring to?

Ive started using the little triangle to report people when things get out of hand. (yes Ive learned...) As I found out calling people out does not and just makes matters worse.

OP, I would love that, too.

In regards to the brown Mexican food, it's not always brown or beef. Cerviche, which is fish or jicama, a vegetable, with lemon and seasonings.. or a fresh salad with jicama is delicious. I think it depends where you go in Mexico, as their food varies by regions.

I'm the OP and I didn't think this would be such a heated discussion LOL I like Asian food too, in fact Japaneese cuisine is my favorite.

By Mexican, I don't really mean "Authentic". I just mean the basic Americanized version of Mexican food....tacos(hard and soft), burritos, fajitas, etc. I like taco salads too. Burrito bars are big here in NOLA right now(think Subway, but for burritos...you pick all the toppings, or ingredients you want and the worker adds it to your burrito.

I'm not worried about calories or watching my diet while on a cruise, but I don't want to eat 2000 calories at 12:30am either.

Would be nice to offer something like that at the lunch grill on the Lido deck alongside the burgers/chicken etc.

BTW, comparing P.F. Chang's to Taco Bell is just wrong. Granted P.F. Chang's is a chain, but it's not fast food. P.F. Chang's compared to Across the Border, Chevy's, etc. would be more accurate.

Anyway, good to hear that some Carnival ships do offer some type of Mexican(burrito bar) aside from the late night buffet. I'll look for one on the Triumph.

P.S. All of the ships I've been on within the past decade(the earlier cruises I took as a child are a completely different animal than what is now crusing) seem to offer a lot of Asian foods....Is this b/c of the amount of passengers that are Asian? I've noticed a lot more Asians on past cruises. Just a thought.

OP, I would love that, too.

In regards to the brown Mexican food, it's not always brown or beef. Cerviche, which is fish or jicama, a vegetable, with lemon and seasonings.. or a fresh salad with jicama is delicious. I think it depends where you go in Mexico, as their food varies by regions.

Most of the food I've eaten while traveling in Mexico was not fresh looking. I agree a fresh salad with jicama is delicious though. I'd love to see something like that served on the ship along with some fresh guacamole and fresh fish like someone else mentioned. Yum!

Have a Chipotle on every ship. I would never have to eat anything else.

LOL, I love Chipotle but would tire of eating it every evening. I do love the idea of free range chicken though and once you start eating healthy you really can tell the difference. I know there are those who swear you can't but when you don't have a bunch of processed crud in your diet your taste buds sharpen. I can't eat junk food anymore without feeling sick.

Buritto bar on Liberty...also good "homemade" chips and salsa at the grill

you can ask for a bowl of guacamole at Burritto window and get your chips , salsa, sour cream out at the grill yum

Mexican Buffet on the deck one night also

I was wondering ?? why no "Irish" food?? LOL...I know Princess has English/Irish food in their "Pub"....<grin>

It would seem that niether of you have had Authentic Mexican food from your descriptions.

:eek:

And neither have the cooks on Carnival:D

Op they do offer their version of a burrito bar and taco bar on the Conquest class.......but they should have a warning sign above that says "FAUX"

Problem is, Mexican food is alot like steaks. There's nothing better if it's GOOD, but most restaurant food ranges somewhere between tolerable and NASTY! My wife is from New Mexico, and there's nothing better than good NM red and green chile. You folks who don't like "Mexican food" should visit Las Cruces sometime.

As has been stated, Mexican food covers alot of territory. Southern NM food bears little resemblence to Tex Mex, which again can be quite good, but mostly it's not. My wife can cook Mexican food that would knock yer eyeballs out! :D

The thought of Mexican food on a ship is a little scary. I wouldn't have very high expectations. I'd rather have something I don't get around here.

JHC

I'm from Arizona, and I love Sonoran style the best. Santa Fe is pretty good, but I don't care for Tex-Mex at all.

I'm from Texas and thus love TexMex, but what exactly is Sonoran? I'm just asking because I wonder if it is something I would like. I've seen shows on Food Network talking about Sonoran Hotdogs (BK Dog and El Guero Canelo), but what exactly is Sonoran "style"??

Thanks in advance.

Have a Chipotle on every ship. I would never have to eat anything else.

I second that.

Best Pseudo (Burrito, Taco ... ) Mexican there is. Although I wish they had fish on the menu. Arriba and all the ??????bertos here in AZ have excellent light fish fare. The best fish tacos I ever had were in Zihuantanejo at a small restaurant at the end of the pier.

Like some poster said there are different styles of Mexican food much like Asian (Szechuan, Hunan, Cantoniese ...) and even Italian.

I second that.

Best Pseudo (Burrito, Taco ... ) Mexican there is. Although I wish they had fish on the menu. Arriba and all the ??????bertos here in AZ have excellent light fish fare. The best fish tacos I ever had were in Zihuantanejo at a small restaurant at the end of the pier.

Like some poster said there are different styles of Mexican food much like Asian (Szechuan, Hunan, Cantoniese ...) and even Italian.

Exactly.....I have never had authentic mexican food that contained lard or that was brown and tasteless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_cuisine

Remember there are many poor imitations of every food in every country.

Heck even in Philly there are poor imitations of cheese steaks that are a downright crime. :p

It would be like orsering pasta from pizza hut and calling it authentic italian food. :eek:

My husband is Mexican American and we always have Mexican food ashore when in Mexico. Never really look for it on the ship. I have had the burrito bar on the Splendor (good, but seems very Americanish). The late night buffet Mexican stuff seems like Mexican food interpreted by a French chef then prepared by the Indian kitchen staff. Totaly weird.

I agree there are a lot of different regions to Mexican food. Sonora is sort of the heavy but good Mexican with the melted cheese etc, while good grilled fish tacos could not be healthier.

Tom in Long Beach

Exactly.....I have never had authentic mexican food that contained lard or that was brown and tasteless.

Me either.

Now I'm getting hungry.

PB did you happen to see the news story about the nanny?

Problem is, Mexican food is alot like steaks. There's nothing better if it's GOOD, but most restaurant food ranges somewhere between tolerable and NASTY! My wife is from New Mexico, and there's nothing better than good NM red and green chile. You folks who don't like "Mexican food" should visit Las Cruces sometime.

As has been stated, Mexican food covers alot of territory. Southern NM food bears little resemblence to Tex Mex, which again can be quite good, but mostly it's not. My wife can cook Mexican food that would knock yer eyeballs out! :D

The thought of Mexican food on a ship is a little scary. I wouldn't have very high expectations. I'd rather have something I don't get around here.

JHC

AMEN Brother! You said it all. I also grew up in NM with the food you have described above. Yes, I also like Chipotle (now living in Denver there are everywhere). With that said, being from land-locked Colorado, I try as many new things as possible and eat as much sea food as I can. Carnival just doesn't do the Mexican food, whether authentic or not, justice. If I get hungry late at night, then I'll order a BLT from room service. BTW, Carnival does make a pretty good pico.

Mexican food on the ship or deep inside Mexico is not our favorite. We found our recent trip on the Dream seem to have an awful lot of "Mexican food" (please don't get into the real or not stuff-that isn't the point) We found so much along the lines of Mexican from the Lanai barbecue that didn't have much in the way of anything we would traditionally barbecue, to the burrito bar and late night Mexican buffet. Since they did away with the Gala buffet, it seems that every ship we are on has one buffet at midnight and it is always Mexican. It saves us staying up for it, but it would be nice to have something else besides Mexican on the one midnight buffet they have now.

I've been on many cruises, and with the exception of one, they've all been to the Carribbean/Mexico. On all of these cruises, there was never any good Mexican food served(or bad Mexican food for that matter :) with the exception of the late night Mexican buffet one night a week on the Carnival ships(can't comment on other lines as it's been a while since I've done RCCL or NCL).

I've done the late night Mexican buffet once or twice, but I don't really like it b/c the lines of people lined up to eat this particular buffet are VERY long even 45 minutes before buffet is set to open(you'd think this would give them a hint as to how popular Mexican food is), and because while I LOVE Mexican, I really don't like eating all those carbs/heavy foods after midnight at night, just to go to sleep usually shortly after.

Would love to see more Mexican offered on the lunch buffet instead of all the Asian stuff and/or a Mexican place like the deli or pizzaria that is open all the time.

Does anyone agree? Do any other lines before Carnival offer this?

I'm a little cracked up over your post. Like you, I like Mexican food, and like you I do not care for the Mexican Midnight Buffet.

Where we differ is that when I see the only Mexican food they do is bad, Why would I want them to do more of it?:confused::D

Yes I am sure.I said Asian food not Americanized "Asian" food PF Changs is not REAL Asian food!I said Mexican is nasty and I meant Authintic mexican(as in eating in mexico) but if you want to go with chain resturans let's compare PF CHangs to say Taco Hell. Still better....

As another poster pointed out everything mexican is brownish and looks and taste the same.

And you think what you get on Carnival is better or less Americanized than PF Changs? ;)

And...no...real Mexican food is not brown and all tastes the same. That's a major stereotype.

Just what I was going to say. I'm from Arizona, and I love Sonoran style the best.

Whats your favorite place? I am going to be in Glendale sometime in the next 2 weeks and would love some good Mexican food:D

Archived