New cruiser wants to do Alaska w- a scooter

anchorman

My wife and I are new to cruising. She's dying to do Alaska, (though I'd kind of like Italy). I have MS and have difficulty walking more than 3 or 4 city blocks, (using a cane), so I've just bought a scooter (a Pride Sonic).

Now, I'm looking for suggestions for the best lines/ships to do Alaska. We're in our mid-50s, love good food and relaxation. I'd like to be able to work-out in a fitness center on board and massages are a luxury we both love.

I bought the Sonic with the intention of flying commercially with it and would certainly take it aboard ship to get around. It would be great if I could do some shore excursions with it, but I can leave it on the ship if the walking isn't too far, (avoiding stairs, if possible).

Suggestions?

I too have to use a scooter in travel.

I started cruising last year and learned some things quickly.

A MUST is to book early and get a handicap cabin. They generaly have space to store and charge your scooter. Have your TA or you yourself contact the cruise line about their requirments for scooters as it varies with each line. Some lines will not let you store a scooter outside the cabin because the passageways are narrow and you would be creating a problem for staff and other passengers.

On board is not a big issue and many excursions can accomidate the scooter. BUT, as soon as you get on board check with the Excursions Mgr. (not underlings) and request that they make ADA transportation availavilable to you. Alaska if very accomidating if you pre-plan with a good EM. I was able to do more because of a wonderful EM on the Mercury when we went to Alaska.

The major problem is in tender ports. Some cruise lines have a poor attitude about tendering scooter and wheelchair riders into port.

My personal experience it that Celebrity is the best of the three lines I have used. The crews will do anything to make your getting on and off the ship easier. In some Alaskan ports the gangways are steep at high tide and one lady is a wheelchair had 5 crew members assisting her up the gangway.

The worst was HAL and RCI was just a notch above HAL. There are many issues in tendering wheelchairs and scooters. Most HAL tenders don't have an access hatch big enough to load a scooter and you need special handling that they don't like to perform. The other main consideration is the sea and safety getting you on and off with no danger to you or the crew.

I hope that gets you a start on making good decisions. Others can have different views I have only used my experience.

If you take a scooter, I would also recommend taking a manual wheelchair. This can be used ashore in tender ports much more easily, and it can serve as a back-up. Get a lightweight folding one (with big wheels in the back) which you can either purchase or rent and take with you. You can also rent and have it delivered to the ship, but we prefer to take our own as we can use it in the airport, etc. and also know what we are getting. You can take two wheelchairs on the plane (and any other disability equipment) at no extra charge.

We went to Alaska on Princess. You do have to be VERY specific with them about what you mean by an accessible tour, but they did arrange lift van tours in all our ports once we made it clear. We have also been on many HAL cruises and did just fine (with the manual chair, not the power chair) at tender ports. They cannot fit a scooter on their tender lifts. HAL and Princess have been doing Alaska the longest of any cruise lines, so this should be a consideration. Regardless, we have had good experiences with Celebrity as well.

All the large cruise lines have spas with massages and gyms now days. You may also consider how accessible public rooms are...some have stadium type seating in the showroom, which we hate. We much prefer cruise lines like HAL that have tables and chairs and let you sit where ever (and with whomever) you desire.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

My husband uses a scooter , a Pride extra large. We have been to Alaska on the Regal Princess out of San Francisco twice. The first time he used a walker with a seat, the second we took the walker and the scooter. We are going again this August. Last year he used the scooter more than the walker and we did run into problems. First was the elevator, you could be the only person waiting for it and when it came ten people would show up and get on before you. I know this is really a RUDE person problem but how hard would it be to post a sign saying something like let the handicapped on first. Second problem area was the hallway. Narrow and if the cabins are being made up it is difficult to get by. On the plus side was the crew, they would move carts to let you by and were very nice about doing it. All in all I would say take the scooter, my husband will be taking his again and we will have a wonderful time in the ports, enjoying the sightseeing together instead of my telling him all about things when I get back to the ship.

Book early and get a handicapped room. We like D 109 on the Regal Princess. An indoor room but it is the largest handicapped room and gives us the room for both the scooter and the walker.

I do wish the outside doors had handicapped buttons to push to open. That would make a HUGE difference.

Mrs C

Mrs. C -

Thanks for the info. More and more, I think I'll take the scooter. I have absolutely no reluctance to run right over the feet of anyone trying to get into the elevator ahead of me :-).

We're looking into a balcony stateroom on Holland America. From the research I've done my scooter (20" wide) will get through its 23" wide door and HAL says there's enough room inside the room to park.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Your scooter will be able to pass laundry carts in the corridor-mine does and it is 19" wide. On Sapphire Princess the corridors are too narrow to park the scooter, but our room was near the elevators and they had no problem with me leaving it along the wall in this area. We were on a two week cruise -no one complained or bothered it.

juliab

• 1 month later...

We sailed the diamond princess in june 2004. The only ascess to the main theater is a steep ramp for wheelchairs. Many people could not push themselves up the ramp and the staff was available to assist. The main draw back was they only allowed 1 person to sit with the w/c person. That is for all shows, lectures and movies. That sure puts a damper on your enjoyement when families cant sit together. Also this ship does not have any zero entry to the main theater. has 3 tiers of steps so even if not completely disabled it is hard to get in theater. Another bad point for the disabled mobility impaired is that they saved the upper 3 rows for people that are mobility impaired. That means if you are impaired you cant sit or even get to the seats that are near the stage due to steep steps and many steps. The have one zero entry off the side of the theater room but once you are in theater room you have to do steps to sit any where. For a new ship i cant even believe they would build one this way with all the older people who cruise and people with limited mobility.

• 3 weeks later...

taking a manual chair if you can push it. Makes life easier for everyone.

Once ashore, there won't be that many problems. Getting on and off the ship is the problem. Be an a** with fellow passengers, and an angel with the crew, and all work out okay. I tipped when my wife was helped, and it paid off immeasurably. 20 bucks is worth it to have a good vacation experience.

:o

• 1 month later...

My husband and I did Alaska in 2001 with a scooter. We took the Carnival Spirit and sailed from Vancouver. We also did the train back through the Denali Forest. The carnival staff throughout the whole trip were remarkable in assisting my husband. He, too, is only able to walk approximately 100-200 ft without having to sit down. He uses his Pride Go Go scooter to get around. We took the scooter on the planes and throughout the trip. There was never any trouble with the tenders, planes, ship, airplanes or train. The only time he did not have immediate access was through the Denali Forest on the train, as his scooter was sent on ahead to anchorage by bus and we traveled the train. He did whatever walking he could and our tour through the forest was by bus and it picked us up at the front of the lodge and returned us there. We traveled from Florida and found Carnival to be exceptional.

Since that time we have done 6 more Carnival cruises on different ships and take the scooter with us each time. We have no trouble and everyone is great. I would recommend Carnival for this type of travel.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Margaret

• 2 weeks later...

My wife uses a folding No Boundaries Featherlight Deluxe. She's taken it all over the world, both with cruises and with land tours, with few problems.

We took a cruise to Alaska 3 years ago on the Regal Princess. We did not have a handicapped cabin and had plenty of room. Of course, this scooter folds up like a baby stroller, so it takes up less room. On HAL we were able to leave it plugged into a wall socket in the hallway, as our room was at the end of the hall and it was out of the way. My wife has never had problems in hallways.

The ship personnel were always willing to help us with the cart down and up the gangways and since it folds we were able to take it on tenders. We went on a whale-watching excursion in Juneau with no problems. We had a private tour in Ketchikan also with no problems. I think you'll find it really adds to your freedom and I don't think you'll need a manual chair.

Archived