Ballroom Dance Lessons

dreamscometrue2

I thought that Rachael had better tango than John, although in general John is the best of the bunch. I heard from some friends that Jonathan (Rachael's partner) thought they were going because of the low fan vote last week. I however, thought the results were correct - Evander had to go.

I wonder how they're going to fill the time now that there are fewer couples dancing. I guess this week it was "what to look for".

abby

whose lessons are going well - we went over the results of our last test this week - all the problems that the tester mentioned were easy to correct, now it's just practicing them in.

Happy dancing everyone!

I thought that Rachael had better tango than John, although in general John is the best of the bunch. I heard from some friends that Jonathan (Rachael's partner) thought they were going because of the low fan vote last week. I however, thought the results were correct - Evander had to go.

I wonder how they're going to fill the time now that there are fewer couples dancing. I guess this week it was "what to look for".

abby

whose lessons are going well - we went over the results of our last test this week - all the problems that the tester mentioned were easy to correct, now it's just practicing them in.

Happy dancing everyone!

Abby, I think Tom mentioned two dances next week. :confused: Should be fun.

What were you testing out of/into?

Last year I sailed on the Carnival Triumph out of Miami. It was during the halloween week 10/30/04. There was this wonderful dance lesson group on board. Does anyone know of them or where they're sailing this year? :confused:

We had our Two-Left-Feet dance last night, Flag Day theme, about 75 people.

We have a wonderful wooden floor, a former Monsanto Company Club in Dickinson TX (think Houston). It was a taped dance, and no vocals, but this club has always been serious about dance, and used to test for admission. I'm Pres. this year and just booked a 6 piece combo for our Xmas meeting. We usually do 8 to 11:30, covered dish, beer and wine bar. Our problem is moments of silence for departed members, two this month. I would say our average club age is at least 65 plus.

That being said, hopefully, this new dance craze will help promote ballroom and membership. Anyone know what the featured dances will be this week on DWTS?

I sprained my ankle walking across a gravel packing lot in heels. This happened Friday night. It was quite swollen Saturday morning but I taped it up and went to our first group lesson offered by the local Ballroom dance club. My intention was to go and just listen and hopefully learn something but I just had to get out there and give it a try. Ended up completing the lesson and staying for the dance after the lesson. It is funny how the music just gets to you!! I just tried to keep the foot elevated when not dancing and I did not do any real fast dancing. I hope it heals quickly! We met some nice people and decided we will join the club. We have our private lesson tomorrow. I can't wear heals so I guess I will just have to wear tennis shoes.

Gcurry, I sent you and email a few days ago. I am wondering if you received it. I may have written your email address down incorrectly.

Have a great week everyone, Gretchen

Gretchen, we got your message( gcurry1@houston.rr.com )that you would mail us again when you were going to be in League City, that way we could provide current dance information. Our club dances are the 1st and 3rd Sat.s of the month.

Sorry about your ankle, learning to dance is difficult enough without pain.

Hello Gcurry. I don't think you are getting my emails. I emailed you about our friends in League City looking for dance lessons.

We do get to League city often. But my friend who

lives there is trying to find a place for her and her husband to take

lessons. Thought you may know of places in that area that offers lessons. They don't spend much time on the computer so I told them I would check with you. My email is gretchenmontero@cox.net.

Thanks!

Abby, I think Tom mentioned two dances next week. :confused: Should be fun.

What were you testing out of/into?

We were doing our midpoint bronze test. Our studio uses the DVIDA (Dance Vision) syllabus, and has divided their bronze patterns into 4 levels. We were testing both bronze I and II in waltz, foxtrot, tango, viennese walz, rhumba, cha-cha, swing and mambo. We now go onto the Bronze III patterns, which we're going to try to test out of in November.

happy dancing,

abby

Saw DWTS tonight. What is up with the judges?:eek: The soap girl is not that good. My favorites are John and Charlotte and Joey and Ashley. At least I saw some basic somba moves from them. Well let's see what next week brings. Our class starts again on the 27th, DH will miss the class because of work related travel, but I think I'll show up anyway just for the fun of it. Dance on my friends.:)

Can I just say how disappointed I am now. :( Rachel and Jonathan should still be in the top three. Although I didn't care for their Samba tonight. Too much fluff and not enough Samba. As much as I like John and Charlotte, Carrie Ann was right, he did flub a few steps. And what was the point of even having the Viennesse Waltz tonight? We didn't get to see much of any of the couples actually dancing it. Oh well. John and Charlotte still got my vote, just for being on time for most of his Samba (although it looked like his VW was a little off). :D

Abby, congrats! That's a great milestone. Have fun with Brnz3, so many more flowing, spinning movements.

I am also disappointed that Rachel and Jonathan were voted off... just for hahas I went on the abc.com chat... and they are bashing Rachel Hunter for being overweight.... what is up with that...??!!! :confused:

abby: congrats on your testing.... !!! that seems fast to test so quickly... is this true.. ??!!

We are doing a swing group class tonite.. only thing with the group class is -- you don't know who is going to teach it...and even tho' it is for Bronze I & II .... we've gone and there have been people there who need to learn the basic step... so you are not always assured of learning alot new but then we can always use the practice and work on out technique!!

tomorrow night there is a Swing dinner Dance at our local Elks Lodge that we have signed up for... I did buy a new dress for that!! :D sales are great at this time of year!!

Enjoy the beautiful weather!!! :cool:

Lorraine

Whew, well our friends that were visiting from out of town have left....and I am tired. She ran me ragged shopping as she says our shopping here is better than hers at home.... but she did get most of her new wardrobe for our cruise in Nov. as we are going together. Also took a day trip to Mexico (Progresso) shopping and she bought all her Christmas presents - then shipped em via UPS home !!! But one of our funnest nights was when we took them to our private lesson. They had so much fun will be going back home and look for a private instructor to work with until Nov. AND LO AND BEHOLD.... something happened to my husband that night... seems something clicked as he was dancing with instructor (the merengue) and started doing fancy turns and stuff (one was the hammerhold and the other was called the cuddle) and my jaw dropped to the floor. He looked really good and was having so much fun he couldnt wait to try them with me. Of course I had never done them and got all tangled up. A few tries later I had them tho. Anyway, seems like quite a few new people on here....still havent caught a show of dtws as we dont get abc on satellite here. The local affiliate will not remove block even if we pay extra. :mad: Oh well. I'll live. Take care, Cheryl

Thanks for the good thoughts on our test. In answer to a question - it was fast, but it was actually backtesting. Our studio used to have their own syllabus, and we'd tested through Bronze III on that. When they went to the DVIDA syllabus, they also raised the standard somewhat, so we decided to go back and test the new syllabus. It gave us a chance to really improve our technique as well as learn some new patterns.

On DWTS - I was quite disappointed that Rachael was eliminated. I had her in second place over the whole course of this thing. I think it's because she's not all that well known. I though Joey should have gone.

We wondered why they bothered with the V Waltz. I guess they had to fill the hour. With 4 couples left, there wasn't enough time to have them judged induvidually I guess.

cheers,

abby

Hello everyone, Our private lessons are going well. Having a lot of fun. We are still a little clumsy when we go out dancing in a club though. It is like we forget what we learn. It is not like in the studio when you make a mistake and you just stop and do it again. We will keep trying. My husband wants to know when it will get to the point where he can just dance and not think so hard! Have a great weekend everyone. Gretchen

You will eventually get your routine down to where the basic steps are automatic, it just takes time and practice. It helps if you communicate, leading is great, but it also helps early on to just say the next step. Ie. peek-a-boo, The Valentino, grapevine etc.

Don't be afraid to stop and start over, or keep repeating the step, you are, after all, dancing for you at this time.

In the words of W.C. Fields, "if at first you don't succeed try try again, then stop; no sense making a damn fool of yourself!"

we went to the Swing dance at the Elks... there was a large table of "gold" dancers from our dance studio there.. !! :D the band played all kinds of ballroom music... probably more foxtrots than swing.. and people were there from all over doing ballroom and "freestyle" dance... it was a fun night... I hope they do it again!!! The band was great!! :)

I have to say the more we practice-- the more comfortable we are with our partnering and knowing the dances... we wish we had more time (and energy!!) to practice more than we do!!

Nice hot summer weather here in the Northeast!!! :cool:

Roses are beautiful and I'm talking to the tomatoes!!!! :rolleyes: :D

Enjoy!!!

Lorraine

Greetings all,

DW and I are celebrating our 30th anniversary next year with our first cruise. We're scheduled for October of next year and can't wait. We've been researching the ship, shore excursions, what to pack, etc, etc, etc.

We are looking into learning to dance. Neither of us dance (oh, we've danced a couple of times in our almost 30 years together, but that's it.) We've found a few lessons locally (Memphis, TN) through some local colleges, Arthur Murray, and other dance instructors.

What can we expect?

OK I'm back..... friends visiting finally left.... got son off to Florida to attend school this fall. Whew.... nice and quiet tho.

SilverG: My dh and I are taking 2nd cruise this Nov to celebrate our 25th anniversary. Also have never danced much (I danced for 20 yrs when younger) but dh HAD 2 left feet. Started lessons about 2-1/2 months ago. something he promised a long time ago but just got around to. We are having lots of fun. Mostly learning latin dances (salsa and merengue) since we are going to san juan pr for 2 days pre cruise. Started w/class but now taking private lesson every other week (cost works out the same) but feel we get more out of it. My advice is to just go and have fun connecting with each other in a new way and if you dont look like fred and ginger - so what? Now we have empty nest I am thinking about taking golf lessons so we will have another thing we can do together. Know I will never be much good but will have fun trying. Cruise will be wonderful...first one is when everything is new and you dont know what to expect. What cruise line and where are you going? We like Royal Caribbean but only been on one.... my motto is "IF IT AINT BROKE - DONT FIX IT so will probably cruise with them only. Well I've rambled on as I usually do...Sorry Welcome to the thread:D Cheryl

Texancruzer,

Thanks for the welcome. Where, and with whom? RCI Voyager OTS in the Western Med. I'm still not sure about being one of 3100 passengers, but from what I'm reading, my concerns are unfounded.

We're new empty nesters now, too. It's a new stage in life, and we're trying to take advantage of it. We've moved 3 times since the kids left home, but they keep finding us!:D

SilverG: welcome to the group!! I love that...moved 3 times...!! that is too funny....

We started taking a 6 week course in an adult ed program..

I ended up getting mixed up trying to learn the basics of everything in one night... and we are doing so much better at a local studio...probably similar to the chains.. we are mixing

private classes and group classes.. tho when we started we did just private classes.... one thing with the private classes you can go at your own pace and you have the same instructor.. and for us it was good to start out just dancing with each other and not having to change partners...

I wish you much luck in finding the instructions you are seeking out and have lots of fun!!! keep us posted!!

Lorraine

http://abc.go.com/primetime/dancing/ This week a replay hour (7C)and new hour (8C) featuring the paso doble and the foxtrot. Place your bets ladies and gentlemen!

Had our weekly lesson with ole Lance last night, foxtrot and cha cha. "Sir, sir, get over here, you are like watching paint dry!" "Honey you aren't trying to lead again are you?"

Dance lessons and golf lessons at the same time? You'll be lucky if the marriage survives.

I am addicted..... DWTS!! that is... I soo wish the last couples were Rachel and JOhn... but John has my vote all the way...

"sides --- I'm dying to see him in that speedo thing he promised!!! :eek: :D

GCurry....that is toooo funny!! golf and dance....

at the swing dance last friday .... I got into a "discussion" with the "Gold" men about which is "harder" leading or following... I figure leading is easy.... comes naturally to us women!!! HHEHHEHEHHE!! :D :D

Our new instructor is much stricter than our last...probably a good thing... but nothing like your Lance... I would have trouble keeping a straight face!!!! :rolleyes:

Cheryl: welcome back... you were missed!!

Lorraine

Archived