Ballroom Dance Lessons

dreamscometrue2

question:

does the phrase "ballroom classes" and "ballroom" only mean that ballroom type dances happen. basically, i mean, is it ok to do latin dancing (cha cha, tango, jive, samba, rumba...etc) as well?

cos am reallllly lookin forward to the dancing. i love ballroom dancing but i reckon i'm best at latin. sooo...

anyone fill me in?

p.s. this is with regard to the QE2

Hi GCurry, I wouldn't mind having a twirl with you either - I am sure I would also learn a thing or two. :-) I need lessons in following - I am not a good follower - having been a teacher for long I tend to take over and do my own thing - Gary often hangs on and goes for the ride. I am a very strong dancer (Make that hard to push around) Still working on putting some new vogue up on utube for you to look at. Mummsie

that is what I am really working on right now... focusing on feeling the lead ....:rolleyes: I feel like if I don't lead that I am slightly off the beat to the music... but it is definitely a work in progress...

Princess-cruz.. I thought Ballroom included latin... latin being one part of ballroom and the Smooth dances another... but I can't speak to the Cunard lines...and their ballrooms.. but then we always dance whatever we feel to a given tune... If we don't feel it ... we don't dance it!!! :D

Dave will just say to me,,,"I'm just not feelin' it babe!.."..:)

melodyisahore.. the small dance floors has led us to explore with our instructors how to dance in smaller spaces around folks not necessary dancing in the line of dance... still working on that!!! We have been on Century and I said the same thing about the poles... whattup with that??!! but we will be sailing her again with friends next FEb. -- Incidentally, last sailing one night the floor in the Rendezvous was so slick they had to have maintenance come down and work on the floor... we sometimes find space to the back where we can dance our own thing!!

Incidentally, Philadelphia is a wonderful city... didn't do any dancing ... but met lots of folk... did the King Tut exhibit and a carriage tour (both awesome!!).. My friend's son opened "the Rum Bar" this past spring... great food and Mojitos!! I just have to get back there!! :D

Happy 4th to all...

Hi GCurry, I wouldn't mind having a twirl with you either - I am sure I would also learn a thing or two. :-) I need lessons in following - I am not a good follower -

You guys are funny!! How much fun it would be to cruise with Gene and his gang!

I'm totally flattered, and would thrill at the idea of introducing you to the "Cotton Eyed Joe" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton-Eyed_Joe as that would be about the only thing I might know that you don't, and you with better steps.

My wife tells me at times, that when I'm lost in concentration I can be a painfully strong lead, so dancing with you two could resemble some form of wrestling!!

Yes cruising with us can be a lot of fun. We are planning our Jan. Spirit cruise already on a CC thread, with a diverse group of people out of Maryland, Oklahoma, and Californina. It is always fun to cruise with people you know and meet new ones along the way. This is Mexico, so I will be into the water snorkeling, while MSGCurry will be into the Margaritas & shopping.

Sorry to hear that Celebrity's dance floors resemble those of strip clubs in Houston complete with the poles.

Another problem we are encountering, is that many of the ships musicians can't play Latin music. The Diamond had a couple and a trio providing most of the dance music, and it was almost all light rock. They did have a few occasions where the ship's show band would play some ballroom including Latin, but we were at dinner for most of it.

I spent a year one week in Philadelphia Tropical, at a Rotrary International convention. Actually I enjoyed seeing the history of the city, with side trips to NYC and Atlantic City as well.

Hey Gc

They would love you at Magaritaville in Jamaica. My wife brought the house down last year doing the cotton eyed joe. They loved her , I just sat backed and cracked up at the dj's who were amazed she knew it. You also have to imagine her coming from the back of the room screaming to the dance floor:D .

Our next big vacation is going to be Argentina. We've found a wonderful hotel that also has a Tango club with instructions. I cant wait. From what I've seen Argentinian tango is different from what they teach up here in the states. More passionate and slower with more intricate footwork.

Anybody have a secret for getting along with a broken tow? I broke mine this last november (not from dacning)and I'm afraid of rebraking it again dancing. We do mostly latin dances.

Hey Gc

They would love you at Magaritaville in Jamaica. My wife brought the house down last year doing the cotton eyed joe. They loved her , I just sat backed and cracked up at the dj's who were amazed she knew it. You also have to imagine her coming from the back of the room screaming to the dance floor

The things wives will do to amaze and mystify their husbands!!

Women in Texas like to line dance a lot as it gives them a chance to dance, as often their husband can't. It is pretty impressive seeing about 50 ladies doing the "Boot Scootin Boogie". When I lived in the Panhandle I had three pair of boots and learned to Two-Step, Country Waltz and always the "Cotton Eyed Joe/Shottish", played together in Texas.

My years on the coast have switched the boots to boaters and the Two-Step to the Foxtrot.

Our next big vacation is going to be Argentina. We've found a wonderful hotel that also has a Tango club with instructions. I cant wait. From what I've seen Argentinian tango is different from what they teach up here in the states. More passionate and slower with more intricate footwork.

Have a great time in Argentina, I have a freind that lived down there running an electric company for a number of years, he loved it.

We dance American Tango, I've seen very little of the Argentine so perhaps some of the others on this board can elaborate. A lot of the music resembles a quick march to my ears.

A question dancers, on DWTS they describe Tango as Ballroom not Latin, our instructor calls it a cross between the Foxtrot and the Waltz any thoughts? You can't get anymore Latin then Argentina in my mind.

Anybody have a secret for getting along with a broken tow? I broke mine this last november (not from dacning)and I'm afraid of rebraking it again dancing. We do mostly latin dances.

You might try the old football trick of taping that toe securely to the one next to it, that usually helps.

Hey Gc

They would love you at Magaritaville in Jamaica. My wife brought the house down last year doing the cotton eyed joe. They loved her , I just sat backed and cracked up at the dj's who were amazed she knew it. You also have to imagine her coming from the back of the room screaming to the dance floor:D .

Seadancer - you will love Argentine Tango but forget everything you have learnt about ballroom to enjoy it. We have been learning since the beginning of the year and am always getting into trouble from our teacher.!! I keep moving over to the left instead of being directely in front of the man. They lead from the chest so its a completely different feel. Also the guys just lead you into a position and you just do whatever feels good at the time. I am slowly getting the hand of it but gee its hard and the to switch back to ballroom tango in our ballroom class (then I am not far enough over to the left!!!) :D With regards to the broken toe - very hard to break it again unless you do something silly like kick a piece of furniture or something.!!!:D Mummsie

Argentino Tango is on the top of my "list of wants" but I am passing for now... It is not that the desire is not there but I just cant deal with another dance frame to learn.... Good lord I have enough trouble with the killer stretch all the coaches want, yet another way to tourture my body is more than I can take!!

A few years back though I have an interesting story.... We live in New England not far from the Yale Campus... There were flyers up for AT classes on a week-end so we went.... Well... The space was beyond dirty, kind of an underground group and the Argentino instructors were teaching a **cough** a female class,,, yes all gay ladies and Nick and me!! The ladies were quite nice to me, although the changing partners thing was interesting to say the least!!!

So far my only experience with AT.... Talking about getting your feet wet

A few years back though I have an interesting story.... We live in New England not far from the Yale Campus... There were flyers up for AT classes on a week-end so we went.... Well... The space was beyond dirty, kind of an underground group and the Argentino instructors were teaching a **cough** a female class,,, yes all gay ladies and Nick and me!! The ladies were quite nice to me, although the changing partners thing was interesting to say the least!!!

So far my only experience with AT.... Talking about getting your feet wet

You don't have to be Dr. Phil to understand where you might have developed your tendency to lead, Smooth!!

That's a funny story, I've seen pictures of Nick, he's a pretty big guy, glad things went well.

I perhaps mentioned our cruise last Dec. out of Galveston. I arranged a precruise party, and for those that wanted to dance, we went to the Galveston Dance Club which meets monthly at one of the local night spots. Their dance was from 6 to 10 and included an Argentine Tango lesson, this was followed by Cross Dressers at 10:30. Not too unusual for Galveston, but if you are a couple from Oklahoma ----

Well Nick is a "go with the flow" type of guy with a very good sense of humor so it was OK!!

What a wonderful week I had.... My sister has a boyfriend that has a million dollar house right on the beach. They went on vacation and needed a house sitter(teens from his first marriage like to have parties while he is gone!!)

Man, so this is how the other half lives!! Was very cool. I felt like I was on a cruise. The bedrooms have wrap around decks and I slept each night with the sea sounds and breeze in the background... Yes I did still go to dance lessons but I was not there really... I just wanted to go back to the dream house!

Back now in my 1800 Sq Ft house... Oh well!!

I was channel surfing and caught the last half of a European ballroom championship for Smooth dances..... It is good to see more of this on TV... or maybe I just never noticed before.. they were so enchanting... and I was glad the Lithuanian couple I loved ...won it all.. their Tango seemed less staccato in the movements more like a foxtrot..

Smooth: any chance you could get them to stay away longer?? sounds wonderful..

Seadancer: I have been watching Samanta Brown' s latin America series that has been airing on Wednesday nights at 8pm.. I have always wanted to do a cruise to South America but as I watch this show... I'm changing my mind and I want to spend extended time in some of the cities!!

I will be anxious to hear your impressions..

I was channel surfing and caught the last half of a European ballroom championship for Smooth dances..... It is good to see more of this on TV... or maybe I just never noticed before.. they were so enchanting... and I was glad the Lithuanian couple I loved ...won it all.. their Tango seemed less staccato in the movements more like a foxtrot..

Tropical,

I'm just curious - do you know the name of the Lithuanian couple that you like?

abby

Thanks. The competition was at least a year or two ago, since they've taken some time off to buy a house.

I asked because I was curious to see if you were talking about the couple that I know.

She is my coach once removed ... She's my teacher's coach, and a lot of what he teaches is based on what she teaches. A couple of years ago, my teacher couldn't take his lesson, so asked if we wanted the time slot because she's so booked that he didn't want her to lose the lesson revenue. We worked on quickstep with her. My husband danced a wall with her and said it was quite magical, and the best 75.00 we've ever spent on dancing.

By the way, they are better looking in person than on their website.

abby

Hey Tropical

The Samantha Brown shows are one of the things that got us started. Did you notice that in Argentina she said take any transprotation you want cabs etc.... but in Brazil she hired a private driver and said why:eek: . I think i'll listen to the expert on this one. We've since expanded our trip planning to Chile and Peru. Sometimes i think the planning is as much fun as the going.:D

Hey Tropical.... about your dance practice

I was looking on Craigs list for used furniture and came upon someone selling a portable dance floor (750) square feet from a dance studio in our area.... I could not beleive the price. Had I not just recently finished our basement and had it carpeted it would of been in my house!

smooth: do you know the website... you can post it here or email me at beverage(at)optonline(dot)net. that sounds awesome!!

seadancer... I also saw a great show on travel channell. on Machu Picchu... makes me want to go while I can still do some hiking... but have to get over the fear of heights thing!!

I take it you are doing a land tour.. I am soooo JEALOUS!! ;)

abbydancer: I would love to dance like they do... but then I am definitely intimidated when I dance with Eddie the owner of our studio!! :)

Single, double, triple step, does anyone do double step?

We had that introduced in class, and will get some Lindy steps next session.

Just curious, as we do a pretty good single step swing.

Enjoyed a Mainland Dance Club occasion last night with a patriotic theme.

I never have seen a double step swing. I like the triple step the best, and will switch to a single step when the music is too fast.

Lindy can be a lot of fun. Years back we were in a show that was a group lindy routine to a Brian Seltzer song. Now though I have forgotten it all.

I never have seen a double step swing. I like the triple step the best, and will switch to a single step when the music is too fast.

Instead of a triple step triple step back step, or a step step back step, it's a touch (like foxtrot) step touch step back step. It feels awkward as the touch comes first.

Lindy can be a lot of fun. Years back we were in a show that was a group lindy routine to a Brian Seltzer song. Now though I have forgotten it all.

The Lindy is interesting, putting the "sway" in swing, so to speak.

We started Tango and Bolero lessons with a private teacher last night, along with the group ones. This means lessons two times a week, you people are killing me!!

The teacher is an old English lady who does dance cruises with a group out of Florida. Old old single men and women the way I understand it.

One interesting thing she told us, was that Costa Cruise Lines has some of the best dance floors.

I also heard that Costa had great dance floors....

Now I need Mummsie!!... There is a ballroom thread on the Cunard board and the subject of Sequence dancing came up... I mentioned what you said about New Vouge and now there are questions I cannot answer... Can you help over there???

The thread started out about complaints that on the QM2 the band was not playing a strict tempo to dance to... I thought you have got to be kidding me, try Princess and then you will see how lucky you are to be on the Queen!!... Since then the posts have gotten a bit nicer!!! Although the brits still wont accept American smooth dancing as a valid form of dance!

I will be working in the UK for the month of August, who knows what will happen to my dancing!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=577657

Here is the link. I think I did this right!

It seems to me that the fun part of making a gown has got to be doing the stones! I also am having a new gown made. It is the first gown that I picked a pattern sheer material. The bodice is a mint green, the skirts,mint green and blues swirl pattern. I hope it comes out like I have it pictured in my mind!

Archived