Best snorkeling place

larryb1974

Please let me know which place you think is best for snorkeling and best way to get there from Calica Carnival port.

How much is everything?

(Presuming you meant shore snorkeling)

For sea turtles and a reef - Akumal beach, straight out from Lol-Ha restaurant

For beginners or if the seas are a little rough - Yal-ku lagoon

For something unique - Try one of the many cenotes (semi-open roof caves) for snorkeling.

If you're tight on a budget take a taxi to Akumal and spread your towels on the beach, for the others you may want to get a guide. Edventures is a good outfit, there are others. Give some feedback on your inclinations and read this boards other threads on the above options

tks, i was either talking about a boat or shore, either.. It will be me, my wife, and two kids (11 and 5). There is one or two other families as well, probably 15 or so in all.

We really want everyone to be able to do it, whether strong swimmer or not..

What are the recommended companies people have used and been happy with, we really do not want to go over $50 per person for a boat if possible.

tks, i was either talking about a boat or shore, either.. It will be me, my wife, and two kids (11 and 5). There is one or two other families as well, probably 15 or so in all.

We really want everyone to be able to do it, whether strong swimmer or not..

What are the recommended companies people have used and been happy with, we really do not want to go over $50 per person for a boat if possible.

Is your budget $50 per person including transport to/from Calica?

The cheapest way to do it (around $50 per person for the day):

Is everyone capable of walking a ways in the heat? If so then walk out to the main road and hail one of the numerous Colectivos there. Your group of 15 will end up splitting up over several vans. A few dollars per person will get you within a mile of Akumal beach. Walk in from the main road and spread your towels on the beach near Lol Ha. Rent snorkel gear for $15 or so per person from the dive shop right there. Spend $20 per person for food and drinks at the restaurant.

On the return walk back to the main road and ride a Colectivo all the way into Playa Del Carmen, buy a few cheap $1 souvenirs in town, then take a regular taxi (~$6 pp) back to the port.

Please let me know which place you think is best for snorkeling and best way to get there from Calica Carnival port.

How much is everything?

Yal ku, Akumal, and Xel ha, are good. We rented a cab ($30 one way) to Yal ku Lagoon then took a collectivo back to Playa del Carmen for $2 or $3 @. If I went back I would take the collectivo both ways.

Archived