Worrysome Travel Insurance exclusions

maniakman

Greetings,

I am flying out of Charlotte to Copenhagen this June.

Right now I am still scheduled for Princess to arrange the Air and Cruise insurance for me but I am trying my best to arrange those myself.

But...

Reading through the various policy exclusions, they all have USAirways,United, Independence Air on their exclusion list (all likely carriers out of CLT).

I am unclear as to how that would affect me should the unforseen occur. E.g. what happens if the Airline stops flying the day before the cruise? I'd assume 3rd party insurers would just point to their exclusions list.

That is the main reason why I am leaning towards letting Princess do Air and insurance this time around, -- assuming that they would be more obliged to help me out.

Any words of wisdom?

Shawn.

06/04/05 Star Princess

From all I have heard, the cruiseline is only acting as your purchasing agent for the air portion of the trip. Therefore is not responsible in case the airline folds, which seems very likely for a couple that you mentioned. I can't believe that Independence Air just announced that they are buying additional Airbus aircraft to add westcoast destinations, when they are only flying with 46% of the seats occupied. USAir has little chance to continue flying beyond June. Can Delta provide your destination from Clt? Are they on the exclusion list?

Delta seems ok for now though I am not sure how desirable the itinerary would look like. A cursary look yields no Delta itineraries on the various travel sites. One can end up with a ~11hr triptime (CLT-IAD-CPH on UA/SAS) to almost 20hrs (Continental)...

Wonder if anyone has had any experience with non-covered incidents (e.g. weather delay) when booked via the cruise line vs. 3rd party insurance. From previous posts on oterboards I was under the impression that the cruiseline would help you join the ship should you have missed it.

Shawn.

You should be fine with the UA/SAS flights. DH does this flight frequently (RDU-IAD-CPH) and it is much more preferable to (RDU-ORD-CPH). Make sure you have enough transfer time. In the past two months, he has twice missed his connection from Chicago(ORD) to CPH and had to fly the next day. I would not fly through Chicago, definitely choose the route through IAD.

DH prefers SAS to all other airlines. He feels it has better food, better service, better legroom (he's 6'3") and is less crowded. He usually flys business class, but said coach is good, too.

Let's hope United lasts for at least another year, we are booked on them for Thanksgiving :)

Archived