Questions about Transatlantic crossings in November

SeaTeach

We are looking at doing our 1st transatlantic crossing the month of November in 2011 on the AOS. The port of departure is Malaga, Spain, with stops in: Funchal, Portugal; Lanzarote, Canary Islands; Las Palmas, Gran Canaria; Tenerife, Canary Islands, St. Maarten; with debarking in San Juan.

I am indeed a hothouse orchid living in N.J. and love Hot weather. I know about the weather in St. Maarten and San Juan, but not the other ports. Also don't have a clue about what to expect on sea days: Is it rough? Is it usually hot enough to sit on the balcony in shorts? Do I need to pack a jacket and some jeans? We are TA newbies and any bit of info will be gratefully appreciated.:D

Also if you have info on the ports / favorites / excursions / restaurants or anything I'd appreciate that as well.

We're trying to learn about this TA prior to our upcoming cruises in 4 weeks because we just might book it while on board.

To all who respond....Thank You:D:D:D

go onto the connections board. there is a thread there for the Transatlantic you will be going on. I will be on the ship too. The people on that thread can answer your question. And you can get to know some of your fellow travelers in advance of the sailing. Enjoy!!!

We did our first TA from Rome last November/December. We were very surprised at how warm the weather was. We could sit out on our balcony although I didn't wear shorts much, but capris or light pants were fine. The only bad day we had was the day before we arrived in Fort Lauderdale, which was rainy. The seas were calm every day.

We loved the TA and have booked another this fall.

Hi ,In Novemeber 2007 we did a TA from Monte Carlo to Ft Lauderdale, following a similar itinerary as yours (we didn't go as South since we didn't go to the Caribbeabean). Temps were very mild on the sea days between Funchal and Ft lauderdale. Shorts kind of weather. I think we had no rain or bad weather the whole time!

We are looking at doing our 1st transatlantic crossing the month of November in 2011 on the AOS. The port of departure is Malaga, Spain, with stops in: Funchal, Portugal; Lanzarote, Canary Islands; Las Palmas, Gran Canaria; Tenerife, Canary Islands, St. Maarten; with debarking in San Juan.

I am indeed a hothouse orchid living in N.J. and love Hot weather. I know about the weather in St. Maarten and San Juan, but not the other ports. Also don't have a clue about what to expect on sea days: Is it rough? Is it usually hot enough to sit on the balcony in shorts? Do I need to pack a jacket and some jeans? We are TA newbies and any bit of info will be gratefully appreciated.:D

Also if you have info on the ports / favorites / excursions / restaurants or anything I'd appreciate that as well.

We're trying to learn about this TA prior to our upcoming cruises in 4 weeks because we just might book it while on board.

To all who respond....Thank You:D:D:D

I was thinking of taking the same cruise. We are from NJ also. How are u flying to Malaga?

We will use Spirit Airlines back from San Juan.

• 1 month later...
I was thinking of taking the same cruise. We are from NJ also. How are u flying to Malaga?

We will use Spirit Airlines back from San Juan.

Soooo sorry Jeremy for taking soooo long in responding....was in overload getting ready for our B2B and time in San Juan. I must say that you've asked the 64K question. We've done a little lurking but haven't even decided which airport to utilize (Philly, Newark, or the 2 N.Y.'s). Spirit is just so out of the question for us...they 5 and 10 you to death. The irony of the whole thing is that we live less than 10 minutes away from the airport.

Our plans are to get a nonstop as close to Malaga as possible, stay there for a few days and get a nonstop from there to Malaga. From San Juan we'll probably fly U.S.Air back to Philly. They have an early afternoon flight.

That is a real good route for November since it is somewhat southern. With luck your days should be in the 70s and warm-up as you cross the Atlantic.

Hank

You have no idea how broad my smile became after hearing about the weather. In fact the smile became a mega grin.:D See, I told ya!

You have no idea how broad my smile became after hearing about the weather. In fact the smile became a mega grin.:D See, I told ya!

Always glad to make someone smile but remember, it is the weather and the weather is never a sure thing. This past May we did a crossing from Ft Lauderdale to Portugal and were surprised to have relatively cool weather for the entire trip (mostly 60s) which is somewhat unusual. On the other hand, the weather was offset by spotting whales on several ocassions (first time we have seen whales on a TA).

Hank

• 3 weeks later...
Always glad to make someone smile but remember, it is the weather and the weather is never a sure thing. This past May we did a crossing from Ft Lauderdale to Portugal and were surprised to have relatively cool weather for the entire trip (mostly 60s) which is somewhat unusual. On the other hand, the weather was offset by spotting whales on several ocassions (first time we have seen whales on a TA).

Hank

I agree, very hard to tell. I was on a Med cruise (end of May/early June) on the Ruby Princess. Days were very very warm and only once were we able to go topside after an early dinner to watch a MUTS. It was extremely windy and cold up there. The one night we decided to stay was early June and I was lying on a lounger with warmer jeans, tennis shoes/socks and a light jacket on with two blankies thrown over me and I was still cold. Stuck it out that night tho!

Archived