Detailed Carnival Victory review:Photos,Menus,Fun Times July 4th-11, 2010

"St. Kitts arrival backed into port, the port side of ship was facing the gangway. The orientation of ship if parallel to pier, but perpendicular to shore. It is a very long dock, and gangway is at far end of ship near front.:

I have enjoyed your review and your pictures.

When I read your quote above, I am concerned that it will be a challenge for my husband who get leg cramps when he walks. Have you been to Roatan ? How do the two piers compare ? That one would have been impossible but the Legend allowed us to borrow a wheelchair and leave it in the shopping area until we returned. I know that wheelchairs are not always available to borrow from the ship so I am gathering information so that we can be prepared.

P.S. I can't remember the easy way to include quotes in the posts so I just cut and paste.

I really love this picture of the Black sand beach...I'll be borrowing it for my screen saver! Thanks :-)

sigh..retyping and posting review--CC boards crashed! thakfully had some narrative save in word doc.

St.Kitts Railway tour review:

Being the first tour, this was to be a short 15 min ride to the train station. Teddy our driver,did a nice narration pointing out local sights like the National Bank, town sights, airport and information about population, religions and the fact the people are outnumbered 2:1 by monkeys. He said we may call them “PETS” they call them “PESTS.” Seems they are very smart and a scarecrow in field that never moves did not outsmart the monkeys, rather its limbs were pulled off. Worse yet, they began using family dogs to keep monkeys away from their farms and gardens only to find monkeys befriend the dogs by picking bus & ticks off them and riding them! We also saw the airport on way to station-it is growing in size and takes direct flights from Miami, New York,Charlotte etc. We then pulled up to our destination. Each bus load of people (I’d say 16-18 people in our group) were stopped at the train car you would be riding in for the train tour – so being bus or group #3—we were in car #3. So group accordingly when standing in line under arch. There are two levels of seating. The lower area is of wicker chairs, and air conditioned (only one elderly lady chose this seating for our tour.) The lower level near entrance to train car also has a bathroom that looks like it would have been put in an airplane. To get to upper level must go up a small metal spiral stairway (about 6 steps or so.) On top deck is padded benches that are lengthwise, and face inward with a large aisle down middle. We started seating on right side as you face forward thinking this would be side to get better photos. Fortunately our train car was not at capacity of I count of 24-26. I was able to sit across on opposite bench facing the water without having to turn my head. I often did get up to take better photos by kneeling on benches or standing. We were joking that standing and crossing to other bench was like standing on a surf board. While traveling there is a main narrator on train thru speakers who is in car 1. Each car also has a hostess to serve free beverages and a later sample of “sugar cake.” The train also has a traveling accapello singing trio (we had a duo though) that moves from car to car during journey. I am very motion sick prone, so did take a Bonine prior. The train starts with a shrill squeaking while moving at its starting slow pace. It then gets going and does do some side to side swaying, not enough to ever bother me though.

Rolling out of station- the most swaying & squeaking here until it gets up to speed:

2975567800103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

While it was 89 degrees and full sun in July, there was enough breeze to never feel hot. (NOTE:adnvatage of taking 8:30am tour vs. 10:00am) They also offer as I said free beverages including Pina Coladas, punch (with alcohol if one wishes) by end of tour I think I heard them offer at least four times for beverage service. They also have soda and bottled water. Hint:bring a beverage cooler that can hold a cup, or a bottled water- it sweats and gets warm fast

Beverage service:

2480065420103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

We were told they have only two seasons on island- dry and wet. We were just starting the wet season, thankfully the scenery still reflected green and not dryness. One gets to see the Caribbean shoreline, black sand beach, where the sea and ocean meet, new housing opportunities for the low income families to wealthier homes, sugar mills, sugar cane,many types of churches (almost every religion is represented on island.)

Landscape view of volcano:

2615257860103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

A sister island in the distance (amazing I was just on tour and do not know name- so much information to take in.)

2977263960103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

The people are very kind and anytime we saw a person they were waving at the train. The tour narrator said they have 4 tours each day and they called her "mama" as she comes out to wave at the train everytime:

2365050770103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

Black sand beach:

2461799120103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

"St. Kitts arrival backed into port, the port side of ship was facing the gangway. The orientation of ship if parallel to pier, but perpendicular to shore. It is a very long dock, and gangway is at far end of ship near front.:

When I read your quote above, I am concerned that it will be a challenge for my husband who get leg cramps when he walks. Have you been to Roatan ? How do the two piers compare ? That one would have been impossible but the Legend allowed us to borrow a wheelchair and leave it in the shopping area until we returned. I know that wheelchairs are not always available to borrow from the ship so I am gathering information so that we can be prepared.

P.S. I can't remember the easy way to include quotes in the posts so I just cut and paste.

Hope you don't mind me butting in with an answer. :)

If I remember correctly, we ended up walking the entire length of the pier when we debarked in St. Kitts. I would say the walk to where the taxis and such depart from is at least similar to Roatan and possibly a little longer.

I have been Roatan- and would compare it to getting off ship, walking to shopping and exit area by main road. Or if you have been to Belize probably about double that length.

I am posting photos for reference-

looking downtoward gangway and back from suite 7312

2695260060103372150S425x425Q85.jpg

Looking toward cruise terminal from suite 7312

2561314070103372150S425x425Q85.jpg

after passing back of ship

2753903980103372150S425x425Q85.jpg

another 60 feet or so..

2597026890103372150S425x425Q85.jpg

Doing the math, the ship is 893 feet long + at least 100 feet to get to building. One of the longer walks of all piers.

I did see a golf cart once on pier--perhaps if you talk to guest services, they can come up with a solution. I would do it early in cruise--perhaps to "check out a wheelchair." I would assume your spouse has a handicap card? I would bring it for embarkation line and perhaps going through handicap due to walking and standing, and take with to guest services to explain health issues. Maybe you can contact Customer Service--ask for disability help prior to arrange a wheelchair. Make sure you tell them you do not want a handicap room--if you do not.

Any other questions like that or anything else I will try to answer.

Thank you SO MUCH. Your detailed analysis is perfect. I never would have thought of taking the handicapped sticker with us. We do not need a disabled cabin, but just some assistance with distances.

I will certainly follow up on your suggestions. It is so much better to know what your challenges are ahead of time. When we walked off of the ship in Roatan, my husband felt absolutely defeated and said, " I can't do this." As I said, fortunately there was a wheel chair we could borrow to get to the shopping area.

I can't thank you enough. These boards are awesome. I think cruisers must be among the nicest people in the world ! I really appreciate your help.

Thank you SO MUCH. Your detailed analysis is perfect. I never would have thought of taking the handicapped sticker with us. We do not need a disabled cabin, but just some assistance with distances.

I will certainly follow up on your suggestions. It is so much better to know what your challenges are ahead of time. When we walked off of the ship in Roatan, my husband felt absolutely defeated and said, " I can't do this." As I said, fortunately there was a wheel chair we could borrow to get to the shopping area.

I can't thank you enough. These boards are awesome. I think cruisers must be among the nicest people in the world ! I really appreciate your help.

Are you on the same itinerary? what ports otherwise visiting, I can comment on them.

Thank you SO much for your wonderful posts of your July cruise on the Carnival Victory. We're scheduled for Feb 13, 2011, and are taking along our two sons and their families, for a total of 9. We've cruised and visited these ports before, but the kids and grandkids haven't. I'm anxious to read your posts on St. Marteen and your disembarkation.

Wonderful job! And, thanks again!

LindyLou2

I really love this picture of the Black sand beach...I'll be borrowing it for my screen saver! Thanks :-)

thanks-I apprecaite it. I like taking photos, and once learned if you can get one good photo in a "roll" then be happy. So glad things are digital now and point and shoot.

If you need photo at higher resolution I can email original-just send request to buffettfan225-carnival at yahoo ~Suzy

Hi Again, No,the Miracle 1/30/2011 will visit St. Kitts, St. Lucia and St. Martin. We're going with a CC group called Miracle Maniacs, who are doing a back to back. We are only do the first leg.

I remember how helpful your Legend review was as we were preparing for the Feb. 2010 trip. Everything worked out very well even though the Roatan situation was a challenge. Grand Cayman was fine, Belize was fine and so was Cozumel because we used the rickshaws on the pier. That was a great trip. I have linked my review of that trip in my signature.

If you have been to St. Lucia or St. Martin, I welcome any of your comments. The detail you include makes you feel like you are right there as you read it.

Have a great week-end !

Sorry for the delay-- just having hard time with my back and typing was making it worse. But for the love of Cruise Critic here ya go..

Brimstone Hill Fortress review:

We decided to do go back into the cruise terminal area after lunch and asked how much for a taxi to get to the fort? The official guard looking lady motioned us to a few taxi drivers standing over to side in shade in front of another gal literally sitting at a TV tray table. She was the dispatcher. On the way over to her though, a few drivers tried to snipe their potential fare and boy did the guard lady scold them!

We just shook our heads and pointed to the awaiting taxi drivers.

It was $50 to go to Fort which included 45 minute waiting time at fort.

So late in the day (2:00 or so)--most drivers were happy to pick up an extra tour. We walked around corner where in the morning the buses for train tour picked us up. We got in a huge extended van meant for 16 people! After we were behind building--he asked do you mind if we pick up my wife? No problem, the more the merrier--she was also a driver but done for the day. We then switched vehicles to an SUV (her taxi) and took that--he said it had much better airconditioning. He was right.

It was a pleasant ride, learning more about their life on the island,hurricaines,gas stations (only 3 on island) and that they used to own a bakery, but found themselves being run by the business.

We then started our winding route into more of a natural fauna state of vegatation. It reminded me of going through a State Park. That was when the monkey troupe was sighted by our driver just as I was telling him that we had not seen any monkeys. The people of St.Kitts definitely do not think of them fondly. They once got in their home-ransacked everything, pull out items in gardens that are not edible and eat what is--nothing than can do to stop them he said, they are too smart.

We then arrived at gate house for fort and paid our entry fee of $8 for adults ($4 for kids.)The fort is a world Unesco World Heritage Site. There area also audio headphones available for purchase. 2689222250103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

We arrived at the visitors center and our taxi driver and wife grabbed a cooler and headed off for a picnic in the shade to wait for us.

It was funny when are taxi arrived and came around corner to visitors center it is like catching children doing something they weren't supposed to..

We could swear the staff were playing with a canon ball and rolling it down a handicap ramp--playing some sort of game for entertainment. There were no other cars around -so we were first "visitors at the fort at the moment" ;)

We then were shown the entrance to the visitor center (air conditioned if I recall) -it has a lot of photos, things to read -a small museum —only if we had more time- so for those unable to climb stairs could view the video, read displays, have a snack and still walk over to the other side where some fort remains were. we went into a small area with a television and were shown an 8 minute video on the history of Brimstone Hill. It was a really good informative video.

We were anxious to get to the top—having only 45 minutes! The beauty of it though—there was only one other couple we saw during video and no one to get into my photo shots!

View from across looking at visitor center and “the Stairs” – The stairs are a bit deeper or a longer step and I counted with my stride 103 steps to get to top and I am 5’2.”

It can be done—just take your time if you need, and plenty of room when it is busy for those to pass by.

2871284890103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

looking down from top of stairs

2014900510103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

One of many views from top of fort

2492788210103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

It sure was nice and quiet and beautiful up there. I would highly recommend—do something in the morning like the train tour, "Behind the Fun" ship tour of ship or beach and find a hire a taxi to go to Fort in the afternoon when it is much quieter and great lighting for photos –we were there from 2:30-3:20pm. The taxi was $50 for up to 4 people, so cheaper to do on your own--I am not sure what kind of narrative a ship tour would provide, but we learned a lot from our driver, and just the lack of crowds was worth it.

Walking around top perimeter--watch your step, those edges are down to center fort area.

2683877290103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

This photo also gives you a closer look at the black volcanic rock, or brimstone, that gives both the hill and the fort their name. Most of the fort, including its massive seven-foot-thick walls, is built of brimstone.

2088218320103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

Close up of volcanic pattern on walls

2677615760103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

The thick angled walls did pose a problem however when wanting to take a few photos of “us” in them. Since it was so quiet we had to use our camera timer. We had to balance our camera on the Fort wall ledge—and they are slightly angled to the outside. I was so careful to place camera toward inside edge. It is also hard to set up a photo when you can’t see into view finder since it faced outward and I would have had to been scaling the wall to do so.

2785001030103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

Inside the fort courtyard area

2452996790103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

timed portrait shot:

2274887120103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

Side shot of fort and one of many barrack area

2460091230103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

Our cruise is in Oct for our daughters wedding on the Legend and I haven't been on a cruise in almost two years. Seeing this review and pics is making me so excited. Thank you so much I know it can be so time consuming and hard so thank you again. I also, like your DH think you

should get something out of it for posting.

Our cruise is in Oct for our daughters wedding on the Legend and I haven't been on a cruise in almost two years. Seeing this review and pics is making me so excited. Thank you so much I know it can be so time consuming and hard so thank you again. I also, like your DH think you

should get something out of it for posting.

Thanks for above poster for bump, and compliment.

I'd love to work for cruise critic as reviewer, host or helpful hint cruiser

At end I am going to post miscellaneous things, and perhaps a long packing list people can work from.

Hi Again, No,the Miracle 1/30/2011 will visit St. Kitts, St. Lucia and St. Martin. We're going with a CC group called Miracle Maniacs, who are doing a back to back. We are only do the first leg.

I remember how helpful your Legend review was as we were preparing for the Feb. 2010 trip. Everything worked out very well even though the Roatan situation was a challenge. Grand Cayman was fine, Belize was fine and so was Cozumel because we used the rickshaws on the pier. That was a great trip. I have linked my review of that trip in my signature.

If you have been to St. Lucia or St. Martin, I welcome any of your comments. The detail you include makes you feel like you are right there as you read it.

Have a great week-end !

The miracle was one of my favorite ships (Except the "grapes" in MDR were a bit over done). Our Maitre'd was most personable one I have ever met. Once you were introduced he knew your names, and every crew member I was told. I will post a photo in your roll call with a few other photos. I think his name was "stubbe" or something close to that.

Back to St.Lucia- The pier is one that is manageable. (Although I sure hope you can get a wheelchair from ship to borrow--like I said call customer service ahead) It is a mild walk from the ship-also with benches to sit on throughout the shopping area and taxis are very close by. I liked the variety of shopping, and found two nice batik zipped and padded pillow covers (same as in Barbados for $12 or $15 each) -funny they label them "chair covers" it was in a store more in the round area off to side of center. St.Kitts is not a bargain hunters location but items to meet "gift" needs are there.

St.Lucia Pier as pulling away--we were parallel and gangway not too far. Second photo is a view more right to the right. At end of orange building were the taxis.

2822249180103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

2624883710103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

Are you beach people, or just enjoy sitting watching the waves,relaxing by a pool and being catered to?

I cannot say enough about the Renezvous resort. For $50 a person we could have partaked in breakfast-but passed, then any drink you wish-from nonalcoholic,beer,mixed,fruit,wine etc..lunch buffet at 12:30

and tea later in afternoon. The terrace had so many spots to relax in shade, read a book under a fan and the beach chairs right at bottom of steps. or a say a 50ft walk to the pool area (I saw two pools, but read there were three)

Here is link to album starting page 12 of St.Lucia Renezvous resort.

We were there from 9-3pm. We could have stayed all week. They do not take money until you arrive (with a reservation ahead though.)

http://travel.webshots.com/album/578174237LSPBfN?vhost=travel&start=308

St.Maarten -will be posting in next few pages. That is more of a walk

from ship to a taxi area, or a water taxi area. To get to downtown Phillipsburg (main shopping) a wheelchair would work- it is all cement, the water taxi could help load it, and they have now built a cement boardwalk area that runs behind some of the stores and the beach. Even the main shopping area is sidewalk-with some curbs.

I will post our shopping point of view, and experience at Maho beach (taxi to it).

Congrats on all the weddings to be. It takes so much planning, glad this helps excite you about honeymoon cruise. Enjoy the journey.

Thanks for the compliments, I really,really appreciate them. Typing the review is like reliving the reason we love to cruise and places we visit.

We just celebrated our 25th anniversary on this cruise and those commenting about looking forward to their honeymoon cruise made me recall an episode I wish to forget about that happened on our honeymoon cruise (and also our first cruise.) Keep in mind sun protection was not the big topic back then. I decided to lie on a deck chair face down and read a book for hours. I awoke the next day not recognizing myself, I looked like I had nasal surgery; all swollen. So off to infirmary as we had snorkeled earlier in cruise and thought it could be a weird infection. According to the ship doctor it was sun poisoning, so a day resting in cabin with lots of loving care and ice packs provided from my new husband. Moral of story, I did not realize my book was acting as a reflector. So watch that Caribbean sun, sand reflection and take it in small doses. I’d hate to see anyone miss a day of a honeymoon or any cruise.

sorry for delay of St.Maarten review - I have been working a lot and now dealing with bronchitis.

I am now not sleeping as much and can work on my review. I usually desktop computer it, and using a laptop from bed- I just the lap keep leaning on that darn mousepad and erasing typing, thankfully I am using word doc first so don't lose entire post.