Detailed Carnival Victory review:Photos,Menus,Fun Times July 4th-11, 2010

Thank you Suzy! Having never done this before, it's a little overwhelming! But you've helped me to decide to just take a taxi. I knew it was cheaper but I didn't know there would be an opportunity to get rid of our big bags before we reached our cabin.

I printed out your post! That is my plan!! :D

I didn't realize there is a wine shop there. How is the selection? How are the prices? Great ideas on the luggage tags & pics.

I am not sure of amount of selection as did not go into the store myself.

My parents went to purchase wines. They have been to wine tasting parties, and my mom had no problem finding a Reisling she liked for $12.95 each. They spent $25 which qualified for a drawing for and won the pull along luggage type cart I mentioned earlier in first day post.

I had gotten a booklet from her, I scanned in the cover, champagne and the one wine page. I am sure they have more of a selection than booklet. It adveritzes it is the only Duty Free store in San Juan -so that will help on pricing. The carry on limit is one litre wine or champagne per person. One is also allowed to purchase liquor- but that will be held until Saturday night.

If someone has a particular liquor and brand I can see if it is listed in booklet. It is 16 pages. Just ask.

Cover of duty free store booklet:

2264521810103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

Champagne ad page:

2385624470103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

wine page:

2013928950103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

Hopefully these prices will give a general idea. Not sure why wine prices were not listed, perhaps too many brands and years that would change prices. I can only guess.

Thanks for compliment on luggage tag ideas.

Thank you Suzy! Having never done this before, it's a little overwhelming! But you've helped me to decide to just take a taxi. I knew it was cheaper but I didn't know there would be an opportunity to get rid of our big bags before we reached our cabin.

I printed out your post! That is my plan!! :D

Your welcome. Yes the xray scanners are same size as airport, so carry ons must fit same rule, so no way "big bags" would go through.

Just be sure to pack a swimsuit, makeup etc with you as our bags arrived by 3:30 but I saw some being delivered much later (maybe they were late checker-inners.)

I know it can be over whelming- my parents would never go without us.

Once of airplane, there is basically one area that funnels down to luggage area-it will go down what used to be an escalator- now it is a long rubber ramp LOL (only in San Juan!) There are a few turnstyles, but chances are it is first one. Last trip it took about 15 min for it to start coming out, prior cruise 45 minutes. So hope for the best.

After retrieving luggage head straight towards glass windows, and if in main area revolving door should be on left that takes you to sidewalk and a taxi stand right there. It will depend on what airline you come in of course.

San Juan airport is more secure to outside- people cannot get into luggage area that are not coming off planes, so you will see people looking in from outside. Kinda strange.

There are restrooms in luggage area if need be-

female- should be called Damas (they may or may not have figurine on it)

If going to a hotel- have name and address ready for taxi dispatcher, they can tell taxi or you can show the driver address if they do not understand. Most speak pretty good english but not all.

Edited by Buffettfan 225

Thanks for all the info in you review, I am going back and re-reading everything to get Plan B ideas. Just in case.... :D

Orthonurse, come join our roll call. We have some Florida people, some from England and some from Austraila! Here is the link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1044909

Suzy, hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for all the info in you review, I am going back and re-reading everything to get Plan B ideas. Just in case.... :D

Orthonurse, come join our roll call. We have some Florida people, some from England and some from Austraila! Here is the link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1044909

Suzy, hope you feel better soon.

Hi--thanks to all the well wishers, today was my first day back at work, and knock on wood actually felt great. Had enough energy, could talk and no coughing issues. Hope the illness is past and stays there.

MCDebbie--I saw a question I think about train tour possibly on you roll call- if you see it, can you link them to my review? Thanks. Suzy

I'd love to join you all, perhaps in future I can get together with those who have a group or better an official CC cruise.

Buffettfan, how was the weather/temp in the evening? Cool, need a wrap or comfortable if I wore a sleeveless dress?

Just trying to guage my attire. Thanks

Keep in mind I sailed early July. We were commenting this was the first ship I was not always freezing in. Even dining room was comfortable. I never needed a jacket or sweater at dinner.

However we did not attend any shows, and that tends to be a cool location. I often find despite hotness outside I tend to get cool in evening (must be all the sun during the day) and felt good to throw a light linen jacket on, and even a pair of workout pants when walking around ship. Lying on a chair watching a movie I grabbed my beach towel. So no, ship is not overly cold, just rather be prepared with "comfy clothes" like a versitile light jacket, or thin sweater. Can always take it off.

The cabin seemed always cold, and we did adjust a/c temp. Just found it easy to throw robe on or use it as a blanket.

I also packed my own pillow from home,(put in a air squishing bag)- made whole thing more comfortable for sleeping. Their pillows seem to soft and squish flat, and I think we still had some down pillows in cabin (which I cannot sleep on or near.)

hope this helps. Maybe just the jacket or sweater you need for airline travel is enough. The planes always start so hot and then get cold. Plus airports are often cold, especially Houston I noticed.

• 2 weeks later...

Buffettfan225 - thanks for the recommendation about the Rendezvous resort in St. Lucia. I contacted them and we're all set up to spend a day there when the Victory docks on October 7th. Soooo looking forward to it! We're huge fans of all inclusives so this will be like a vacation within a vacation for us!

Buffettfan225 - thanks for the recommendation about the Rendezvous resort in St. Lucia. I contacted them and we're all set up to spend a day there when the Victory docks on October 7th. Soooo looking forward to it! We're huge fans of all inclusives so this will be like a vacation within a vacation for us!

Your so welcome. I hope your weather and day is as perfect as ours was.

Did you get a chance to look all the photos from album?

What hours did you arrange? Ours was 9-3pm for $50 each

Here is the start after we got off ship:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/578174237LSPBfN?vhost=travel&start=312

Please email me with your Cruise Critic screen name any further questions:

buffettfan225-trip at yahoo dot com or post them here

1.)Literally taxi is 5 minutes away! Walk thru center and taxi lot on right side- rate was $12 or $15 I recall--we gave driver a $20 and boy did he return ready and waiting for us!! Nice man. Make sure take confirmation with you--just in case guard at resort asks- otherwise taxi cannot enter property.

2.) Will walk in go down walkway, and when see the "tiki statues" the concierge check-in office is on right-just a door with two desks. As enter, they will take information, "check you in" pay and that's it.

In that office as you enter and note on left side is an internet terminal I believe is free for use, we did not use or inquire though.

3.)The bathrooms are around bend behind the statues.

The property is huge, and we hardly explored it.

As you came in initially is the small darker, very warm pool that has wonderful lounges and got taken quite quickly by those staying at resort. No need---so much beach room and other pool facing beach much nicer.

4.)We then walked to beach-picked a set of chairs with umbrella right near the stairs and set for the day.Right away attentative servers/bartender.Being early and not wishing alcohol he made us a "Miss Scarlet" -nice fruity drink, really liked it including DH.

5.) As facing water, there is a jut out cove area -nice and calm there, we tehn walked over to ridge on right, became very pebbly,rough on feet,windy and decided not area we were interested in. Instead spent time right in front of resort and some down to left. Right by stairs it is more small sand coral , but beach is real sandy. We brought our ship towels, but towels are available to the right of stairs as face building-by the ping pong table. There is also a shower for feet by main stairs.

6.)I fell in love within minutes of discovering "beach glass or sea glass" as I stepped off steps. Some small 1/4" pieces other larger size. I then found more all over, a real hot spot though is on beach edge where launch small sailboats and right around the small squatter type shop that sold necklaces and scarves. Nothing in that area to really purchase-cheap quality and if go to "just see" will disappoint ladies when you walk away. Skip it and shop in stores for better pricing and quality unless you feel charitable.

The one thing I wish I had brought was a child pail and sifter--to collect glass and some shells from waves. Down near the runoff area was a one foot drop off from waves crashing and I bet lots of glass and shells were caught there.

It may be weird to collect "old glass" but they are known as "mermaid tears legend" and intend to make perhpas some earrings out of some pieces, but enjoy just looking at them recalling our day.

7.)The resort keeps all vendors away--only saw one roaming one- they are not allowed past waterline--he came up claiming he was called by a guest--he literally got thrown off property after many warnings. The resort literally walks in their khaki's and polos watching for guests safety and belongings.

8.)Down further left from beach is a small cemetary-kinda creepy being on water edge, yet a few good photo ops of this really old iron like cross.

Down that far can still see resort, but do not go alone-take a male along as some squatters live near cemetary and better safe than sorry.

We did not have one issue at all.

9.)Lunch buffet: Left side was cold salad items,right chaffing dishes.

In back on right made great pressed sandwiches. The desserts are so great.

10.)If you are patio (tiled area with chairs) you can have glassware,bottles etc. once on beach only plastic cups. However if ever want a drink-just put up little orange flag in sand.

There was a nice gal that must have been in charge of entertainment and offered Limbo lessons had I wanted any. She later came by to talk at our lunch table. So friendly. The only time we saw a crowd (20-30 people) was at lunch area. Otherwise just 4-6 people!

I got a peek at day visitor list upon check in and saw only 12 were on list.

Most people I over heard that were staying at resort appeared English or European accent.

Enjoy and report back!

p.s.the little shopping area stores are a bit better in back loop area kinda resembles a circle area. That is where I found batik "cushions" or what are really pillow covers for $12 each. I think the real Caribelle store had better colors, but missed out purchasing and was happy to find them in St.Lucia.

Fantastic! Thank you so much for all your input...I'll be printing off your insider tips to bring along for our visit :) We were quoted 10-4 p.m for $50 each, which is perfect since we're in port 8-5 pm. I'll get to sleep a smidge later and we should still be back in plenty of time for sail away. Thank you again! I'll be sure to get in touch and let you know how our visit goes!

I'm not sure how I missed your wonderful review at first posting but am very happy it showed up today. This is without a doubt, the best review

I have ever read on Cruise Critic (and I've read a zillion of them). Your

writing style is interesting, entertaining, and very informative. You should sell this post to first time cruisers to these islands. Your pics are excellent and really will help all of us find the stores, museums, and sites you mention in your write-ups. Thank you for taking the time and effort, even while sick, to offer up such a first class review.

Betty

I'm not sure how I missed your wonderful review at first posting but am very happy it showed up today. This is without a doubt, the best review

I have ever read on Cruise Critic (and I've read a zillion of them). Your

writing style is interesting, entertaining, and very informative. You should sell this post to first time cruisers to these islands. Your pics are excellent and really will help all of us find the stores, museums, and sites you mention in your write-ups. Thank you for taking the time and effort, even while sick, to offer up such a first class review.

Betty

Thank you for the praise. This was my first attempt at a longer review, and one with photos. It took a while, and still working on a posting a packing list. I wish I could work for Cruise Critic :D

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Im really excited from reading your post. I kind of agree with your DH you need to be paid. Our first cruise is in 28 days and I have been researching for about 8 months and I have to say by far this thread is amazing AND MOST INFORMATIVE. THNANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Wow, Im really excited from reading your post. I kind of agree with your DH you need to be paid. Our first cruise is in 28 days and I have been researching for about 8 months and I have to say by far this thread is amazing AND MOST INFORMATIVE. THNANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Your welcome, I love looking back now at it all. Still have on to do list of posting a packing list.

Any questions be free to post.

Suzy

• 1 month later...

Thank you for such great information. I will be printing out your thread to pack in my suitcase. We will be flying in the day of the cruise. We purchased our flight through Carnival (due to high air prices) they were able to get us a really good deal. My concern is that we won't get into San Juan until late in the day with no/little time to get soda/water from CVS and no time to walk around the ship before it sets sail. Again, thank you for taking your time to help us all preapare for our cruise (we leave Feb. 20, 2011).

• 1 month later...

Thank you Buffettfan!!! We leave TWO weeks from today for this cruise. I booked it in July of this year and your review has been the best I've read...and I've read soooo many!!!

I especially appreciated the train review. That's the whole way I got my husband to agree to this tour as he found the train tour mentioned in one of his train books.

Thanks again for such a positive review!

Did you ever get around to posting that packing list? Or did I just miss it?

PS - we have a lot in common: the same cruise, motion sickness, Buffett, sun poisoning and BRONCHITIS! Geez.... I think the cruise and Buffett is by far the best out of that list! ;-)

Thank you Buffettfan!!! We leave TWO weeks from today for this cruise. I booked it in July of this year and your review has been the best I've read...and I've read soooo many!!!

I especially appreciated the train review. That's the whole way I got my husband to agree to this tour as he found the train tour mentioned in one of his train books.

Thanks again for such a positive review!

Did you ever get around to posting that packing list? Or did I just miss it?

PS - we have a lot in common: the same cruise, motion sickness, Buffett, sun poisoning and BRONCHITIS! Geez.... I think the cruise and Buffett is by far the best out of that list! ;-)

OK glad to know I have time to amend my promise for a packing list.

I have a few days off, and hope to get it posted here--just gotta get all the pieces of scrap paper together (do you do that too?) I really have good intentions for "I gotta do that"..and it sounds like a wonderful idea to clean a closet,organize a folder/photos when we are at work, then we get home.....you get the picture

So no you didn't miss the list...keep watching for updates. I hope the train is as wonderful as I made it sound. It is more about appreciation and serenity.

Suzy Happy Holidays. At least you didn't travel now with the east coast weather.

I keep wondering what the weather will be like in two weeks. Felt so sorry for all those folks who missed their flights and their cruise. :(

YES! Yesterday I said I needed to compile all my lists. I have them on my laptop, in two notebooks, my Daytimer and an envelope by my bed (as the ideas pop in my head!)

I am so glad you are out here...wanted to ask about your St Lucia resort day pass. The train is for my husband and I want something for me...which is either Magen's bay excursion from the ship OR the St Lucia resort. How quickly do I need to reserve the resort pass? What all does it include? Have you done Magena's Bay? If so which one do you prefer?

Thanks again! I really appreciate it!

I keep wondering what the weather will be like in two weeks. Felt so sorry for all those folks who missed their flights and their cruise. :(

YES! Yesterday I said I needed to compile all my lists. I have them on my laptop, in two notebooks, my Daytimer and an envelope by my bed (as the ideas pop in my head!)

I am so glad you are out here...wanted to ask about your St Lucia resort day pass. The train is for my husband and I want something for me...which is either Magen's bay excursion from the ship OR the St Lucia resort. How quickly do I need to reserve the resort pass? What all does it include? Have you done Magena's Bay? If so which one do you prefer?

Thanks again! I really appreciate it!

OK-third times a charm- I have typed a response and had it disappear before my eyes! I think I hit a mysterious keyboard button before I finished typing. So now using office and will cut & paste!

First of all, Hands down my choice is St.Lucia is was by far our most favorite day of cruise. It was like pretending to be a celebrity to for a day. To be catered to from door to door shown property, offered beverages whenever we cared for one and relaxing was all that was on agenda.

I like beaches, but find them inconvenient with sand,rinsing self off etc. but this was so pleasant to sit by never found need to go by one of the multiple pools. Besides feeling catered to,private chairs and umbrella, we felt safe the whole time as security patrols –out of site, but they quickly responded to a vendor who was selling necklaces and crossed the invisible property line. He had been warned earlier and quickly dispatched off.

I originally contacted Rendezvous Resort about six weeks prior to cruise, but can try and see what they can handle short notice. I bet a bunch of compliments and mentioning the referral may help.

I initially contacted the genral resort email address :

To: rendezvous@theromanticholiday.com

Subject: ATTN:front desk;Day Pass reservation request

The initial response from the front desk manager via emaiL: Mr.Angus Sexius.

Half day pass (Morning) Includes only, Drinks and use of resort facilities from 8:00am to 12 noon. cost US$40.00 Half day pass (afternoon) Includes Lunch, Afternoon tea, Drinks and use of resort facilities from 12 noon to 6:00pm. Cost US$50.00

Angus Sexius Angus@theromanticholiday.com

Malabar Beach , Castries , Saint Lucia (758) 4577920, (758) 4577917 | TO CALL: 011 + 758 + Area Code+ Tel #

First time it took a day or so for a response, then I did not hear back after I replied to him, so emailed general email address and got a response from Angus in a day after that. I wonder if Angus is not there everyday to read email,busy or internet unreliable--so keep on top of it. I had a hard time addressing him in my emaill--that last name -couldn't bring myself to start email Mr.Sexius!

I then emailed back explaining limited cruise ship hours and suggested 9-3pm which he later emailed back as being acceptable. I saw day pass list on his desk when we arrived and most were due at 10am -2pm so felt our 9-3pm offer of $50 per person was great. Just make sure you get an email confirmation and bring it along, as taxi want to see it as they must pass through a security gate to get to resort.

I would go back in a heartbeat and miss the resort a lot. Enough that I looked into flying there---not even close with airfare costs. I also wish I had brought a sand pail and sifter like kids use—there were lots of sea glass or beach glass around and plan on making some jewelry from pieces we collected on beach and water line. I would have relaxed more on the chair but it became so obsessive looking for sea glass, time passed so quickly, I developed the seashell stoop people call it! Plus my spouse who thought I was nuts gathering surf tumbled glass, later joined the quest. We found a large quart Ziploc of various pieces. Enough to make a wonderful 25th anniversary memory and great souveniers.

Any questions feel free to post, or contact me buffettfan225-carnival at yahoo dot com

Link to my St.Lucia photos: http://travel.webshots.com/album/578174237LSPBfN?vhost=travel&start=312

Regarding Magens Beach- we have done it multiple times, and in no way would trade St.Lucia for it. However I would recommend just playing it by ear and if you decide you want to go, do it on your own. It is much more flexible to catch a taxi at pier ($8 + $4 National Park entrance fee per person, plus $8 back = $20 a person plus tip.) and return to ship when you want. There are a constant line of taxis to take you back. It is easy to do, and we even took my 70 year old mom with us that morning.

Also my opinion on shopping in St.Thomas- I would recommend NOT going to downtown Charlotte Amalie- yes it is quaint,historic but noticed most shops are now jewelry and liquor, and not as safe area as used to be. Others may disagree but I think most unique vendors and same jewelers and liquor stores have moved to Havensight Mall shipside. Plus being shipside it is in a scecure safer area, can come and go to ship easily. Plus if spouse is not a shopper can get off alone given common sense.

Megan’s Beach photos

[URL="http://travel.webshots.com/album/578174237LSPBfN?vhost=travel&start=72"]http://travel.webshots.com/album/578174237LSPBfN?vhost=travel&start=72[/url]packing list off the top of my head:

-ziplocs

-trail mix small bags like Planters from /Walgreens come in handy for excursions

-insulated sports bottle with wide mouth to add ice;I found a Polar brand at local Dick's Sporting Goods store. Great for poolside and filled with ice for off ship.

-battery alarm clock to be able to see in dark (cabin phone offers wakeup service but easier to use my own)

-conditioner if you use it-none on ship

-Tums

-Bonine

-plenty of memory cards for camera (I like multiple and change often that way if lost or camera malfunction do not lose whole trip)

-cough drop strips :I bought the Triaminic dissolvable strips just in case-no messy liquid

-clothes pins- use to pin towel to chair on a balcony or on deck really helps

-Thank you cards/envelopes- I think much nicer touch

-pre addressed labels if you plan on writing post cards

-post its to leave each other notes or cabin steward

-small purse for dinner for camera and reading glasses

-two cheap rain ponchos (Menards)

-extension cord, or multi outlet adapter

-hairdryer

-light weight backpack for shopping

-The Victory had just stopped using Luggage Express program, so night before went to internet and “checked in for flight” worth the hassle at airport. No need to print passes-they reprint them at airport anyhow. I just like knowing I am checked in day prior. So if need to check email by an internet package earlier in trip=cheaper.

buffettfan 225 ~ Suzy

Edited by Buffettfan 225
telphone #