Best places to see bubbling mud etc - Rotorua

smalldog

Hello across the Tasman.

Can anyone tell me which is the best place to see bubbling mud, steaming lakes, etc, in the Rotovegas area?

We want to look at it and go for an interesting walk, not necessarily actually bathe in it - which might make a difference to the recommendations.

I know there are several locations around Rotorua that have this, but I'm not sure which to head for. We will be hiring a car in Tauranga and making our own way there. We don't' necessarily want to be shoulder to shoulder with 10,000 other tourists, but if that's where the best sights are, so be it.

many thanks in advance :)

Hello across the Tasman.

Can anyone tell me which is the best place to see bubbling mud, steaming lakes, etc, in the Rotovegas area?

We want to look at it and go for an interesting walk, not necessarily actually bathe in it - which might make a difference to the recommendations.

I know there are several locations around Rotorua that have this, but I'm not sure which to head for. We will be hiring a car in Tauranga and making our own way there. We don't' necessarily want to be shoulder to shoulder with 10,000 other tourists, but if that's where the best sights are, so be it.

many thanks in advance :)

Kia ora i Rotorua,

Rotorua sits atop a large geo-thermal area and while driving around you will come across steam coming out of the ground and pass the occasional boiling mud pool on the side of the road. There are a number of 'thermal areas' in and around the city, some of which also include a taste of the unique Maori culture. Coming from Tauranga, the first is Tikitere (Hells Gate) near the start of the Whakatane road, while in the town area we have Whakarewarewa thermal area (a 'living' Maori village with its marae where village activities are conducted) and Te Puia which is adjacent. On the road to Taupo we have a number of other thermal areas such as Waimungu and Waiotapu, which is a favourite of mine (see www.rotoruanz.com for further details on the above).

Adjacent to the CBD we have Kuirau park which has a number of boiling mud pools and a small hot lake (too hot for swimming) and nearby there is the historic area Ohinemutu with the magnificent Maori church of St. Faiths looking across the marae to Tamatekapua Wharenui. Ohinemutu is an active thermal area which can pose challenges when one is gardening! Guides are available.

Hope this helps. Happy to help further if I can.

Aquarians icon7.gificon7.gif

Thanks Aquarians and Kia Ora to you too!

I like the sound of the park and the historic area with the Maori church. Is that the kind of area you can just wander around without annoying anyone?

Do all the places have admission fees? (Not that I mind making my contribution to the local economy ;) but I don't want to be handing out money all day)

What makes Waiotapu your favourite?

smalldog:)

Thanks Aquarians and Kia Ora to you too!

I like the sound of the park and the historic area with the Maori church. Is that the kind of area you can just wander around without annoying anyone?

Do all the places have admission fees? (Not that I mind making my contribution to the local economy ;) but I don't want to be handing out money all day)

What makes Waiotapu your favourite?

smalldog:)

kia ora,

Yes in answer to 1st paragraph. In reply to second paragraph, generally yes for the thermal areas, although there are some smaller areas which you can see for free. Waiotapu is a reasonably sized thermal area about 20 minutes drive from Rotorua. There are a number of mud and hot pools with some amazing colours, plus if you are there in the morning you will see the geyser going. www.waiotapu.co.nz may help you decide.

Whakarewarewa (www.whakarewarewa.com) and Te Puia (www.tepuia.com)

are within the town area & may have the geysers there going too. Both of these have Maori cultural activities too.

Coming from Tauranga, Tikatere (Hells Gate) is the first thermal area on the way (and very active) & has the attraction of a mud spa if desired (see www.hellsgate.co.nz).

Trust this helps.

Aquarians icon7.gificon7.gif

Archived