Belize

bluewater4us

Hmmmm...I have no explanation as to why there are no beach excursions available.

I do know that there are not any beaches at the port. You'll have to go to a different island of Belize, like Caye Caulker. There's usually at least one Carnival excursion to an island with a beach in Belize.

Here's the link to the Belize board. Tons of info for you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109

HTH

Belize is a tender port, you are going to have to get on a boat wherever you go.

Mainland Belize is not known for beaches but many of the islands have beaches. One of the things the port area is known for is the pharmacy. :cool:

Bannister Island is a "private" island. Carnival used to go there, maybe they still do:

http://www.bannisterisland.com/

Geoff's Caye is a tiny island that you can also snorkel from.

Ex-pat Lan Sluder has lots of good info on his site, and often guides you can download:

http://www.belizefirst.com/

As mentioned Belize is not really a great beach island. Most have been made out of mangrove swamps and shorelines. However we booked a combo snorkel/beach trip at the pier for $45/person that was pretty much an all day deal. Stopped at Bannister Caye. Decent beach and good food and the price was OK.

Carnival goes, or did, to another really small deserted caye that I cannot recall the name of.

The caye I always wanted to visit is English Caye. The one with the lighthouse that you can see as you are entering the channel towards Belize. Looks awesome!

Bannister island is great, but we had my friend take us out there on a private tour. I know some private tours will come by for an hour or so after a snorkeling excursion. They have bathrooms, showers, and a bar, as well as kayak rentals available. Drop me an e-mail if you want more info @ foleydotgail@gmaildotcom Here are some pictures from our day there last month.

2911754470064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

2276341630064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

2510841870064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

2327911930064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

As mentioned Belize is not really a great beach island. Most have been made out of mangrove swamps and shorelines. However we booked a combo snorkel/beach trip at the pier for $45/person that was pretty much an all day deal. Stopped at Bannister Caye. Decent beach and good food and the price was OK.

Carnival goes, or did, to another really small deserted caye that I cannot recall the name of.

The caye I always wanted to visit is English Caye. The one with the lighthouse that you can see as you are entering the channel towards Belize. Looks awesome!

Probably Rendezvous or Goff's Caye. These islands straddle the Great Barrier Reef and are very similar to one another. Here's a couple pix:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2260604110088053251pHnxmG

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2107841000088053251ZHmEgq

check out coralbreezetours dot com --- They are and excellent company. We have used them in the past and booked them again for next week while we are on Legend. Ck reviews on tripadvisor dot com for many independent tour operators at different ports of call. We've never been unhappy with anyone recommended on these boards or tripadvisor. Their tropical island escape could be just what you are looking for. We have been there before. Cay Caulker is SMALL but lovely. Great little restaurant/bar right at the beach.

I've been to Belize twice now but have never been to Belize proper, both times I took the Goffs Caye excursion. I like this excursion because you are tendered directly to the Caye from the ship and back again. Last time we were there was 2 years ago and the locals had set up a grill & bar (pay as you go, not part of the excursion fee) and a few local crafts. It's big enough that you can find a little spot to call your own.

First time I went it was windy and the water was a bit choppy so not the greatest snorkelling so didn't spend much time in the water but the second time it was a calm day and it was fantastic!

#1- You will love the Legend, it was fantastic !

I am glad to see that so many people mentioned Goff's Caye. We were there in February. They pick you up from your ship take you out to this most remote island, and give you an opportunity to "drop in" over the reef or take the boat to the pier on the island. (which we did) then you can snorkle with the group or stay on the island. We snorked. when that "tour" is over, they gave us about an hour on the beach. As some one mentioned there is a shack selling food, we had lobster ka bob. And an orange soda. After we ate we went back in the water and swam and snorkeled. There are swift channels out there, but not in the area they tell you to swim in. The barrier reef is what makes Belize a beachless area, the small islands prevent the big surf from creating a beach, but as I have said in many posts, you will not find a place as wonderful and remote as Goff's Caye. ENJOY!

#1- You will love the Legend, it was fantastic !

I am glad to see that so many people mentioned Goff's Caye. We were there in February. They pick you up from your ship take you out to this most remote island, and give you an opportunity to "drop in" over the reef or take the boat to the pier on the island. (which we did) then you can snorkle with the group or stay on the island. We snorked. when that "tour" is over, they gave us about an hour on the beach. As some one mentioned there is a shack selling food, we had lobster ka bob. And an orange soda. After we ate we went back in the water and swam and snorkeled. There are swift channels out there, but not in the area they tell you to swim in. The barrier reef is what makes Belize a beachless area, the small islands prevent the big surf from creating a beach, but as I have said in many posts, you will not find a place as wonderful and remote as Goff's Caye. ENJOY!

I wholeheartedly agree. We did Goff's Caye last September on our Legend cruise, and doing it this September on our upcoming Legend cruise. Some of the best snorkelling we have ever done. This is the only place we have seen turtles while snorkelling and we saw several of them. The best part is that they pick you up and drop you off right at the ship. So no waiting in line for teders. And we were back on the ship before noon. We had time to wash up and take a tender in and grab a bite and do some shopping in the port area.

• 2 weeks later...

I've read somewhere on these boards that there are some restaurants/pool bar places near the port in Belize but havent received any details.

If we dont end up doing cave tubing and staying close to the port we are looking for something to do. I can be VERY happy sitting at a pool bar and hanging out. is there such a thing? is it nice? just looking for a little more detail about whats around the port besides the little shopping area

Archived