Bring Your Own Coffee Beans

fragras

We are leaving next week for our 8-day Alaskan cruise on the Pearl and will be in a 2-bedroom family suite on the 11th deck. I hear there is a wonderful coffee/cappucino machine in that suite but am wondering:

(1) Does it use whole bean or ground coffee?

(2) If whole bean, do they supply decaf beans? OR

(3) Should I bring my own beans if I want decaf coffee?

This is an interesting question....

Although I cannot answer completely, I can offer this:

We've stayed in an AA on the POA and the Star.

The POA had a machine that actually ground the beans, whereas the Star had a machine that used individual "pods" to make coffee.

On both the POA and the Star we were offered "de-caff" for our machines.

The last time I was on an NCL cruise they had a "french press" in the stateroom. Needless to say I wasn't prepared for anything.

One thing you may want to try (if you like Starbucks) is their new Via instant coffee. As a rule I don't drink instant coffee (well at least for 40 years) but I did try Via when the gave out free samples when it was introduced. It is a bit pricey, but, not as pricey as the coffee bars. And of course there's the convenience of having it in your room.

I carry Via when I cruise on anything but Royal Caribbean and Celebrity who have good coffee.

The AC rooms on the Pearl have a Lavaza machine.

It takes pods and can make, Café Americano, Espresso, cappuccino, de-caff, and they even have pods for tea. (The lemon was really good.)

Your Butler will keep the pods stocked daily. We also asked her to keep milk stocked as the unit has a steamer on it.

Don't be afraid to play around with the machine, the buttons are graphical and there are no written instructions.

(Hint, the pods go in upside down and that small shelf below the nozzle swings out to make space for a larger mug.)

912664355_94Quy-M.jpg

The AC rooms on the Pearl have a Lavaza machine.

It takes pods and can make, Café Americano, Espresso, cappuccino, de-caff, and they even have pods for tea. (The lemon was really good.)

Your Butler will keep the pods stocked daily. We also asked her to keep milk stocked as the unit has a steamer on it.

Don't be afraid to play around with the machine, the buttons are graphical and there are no written instructions.

(Hint, the pods go in upside down and that small shelf below the nozzle swings out to make space for a larger mug.)

912664355_94Quy-M.jpg

Thanks for the hint.. As many times as I have used the machine I never knew that little shelf pulled out. Thats a very good tip. 8-)

Archived