Flameco Dress from Cartagena Spain

I put a picture up earlier, but I can re-post if it is me you are asking? I'm blond so I may just be confused.

Ahhh....I missed that page of this thread.

Yes, you did post and you look fab!

What a great dress!

Hmmm....your memory is too good. :)

I don't know if he would share construction of a jacket that doesn't have seams. My guess is that he keeps that info to himself. Besides, it's probably one of those things that can't be taught anyway.

That jacket was memorable and hard to forget. Yep, there are some things that need to be kept in "one's back pocket".;)

I put a picture up earlier, but I can re-post if it is me you are asking? I'm blond so I may just be confused.

Hey now, I'm blond too.....waiting for pictures of you in the dress from Cartagena.:)

CruiseArizona,

Thanks for posting that big pic. So much better than that itty bitty thumbnail.

This is some fabulous dress!!! And you look just gorgeous in it!

I have no idea who Lacy is, but your daughter looks adorable!

Thanks for sharing!

Lacy Schwimmer was a top 4? or to 6? on So You Think You Can Dance and a pro-dancer on Dancing With the Stars. She gave a really good class that emphasized "being yourself" and "standing out" to the dancers. She was a lot of fun for the kids.

I do think that dress helped me in the competition. They give 2 points per judge out of 20 total for costume. If the costume doesn't suit the dance or seems too improvised you don't get full credit. Maybe that was the edge that helped me win over all. Little did they know I designed the dance around the costume rather than vice versa.

From what I've seen, it depends on the locality. Eg in Seville the dresses are generally very on trend. Seville is a very sophisticated city with a lot of v. rich people. You will perhaps see a few "traditional" gowns, but not many and mostly worn by older ladies and children. Jerez, Grenada and Barcelona are the same. There is a difference in some of the smaller villages for example in Carmona, you will see more trad gowns, mind you there are a lot more older folk there, so that might be the reason. Sometimes you will see the traditional gowns worn by girls sitting sidesaddle on horses behind their boyfriends/ fathers. It would be a bit difficult getting up there in the really figurehugging dresses. I just love them ALL!!

Catllar,

I finally had chance to check the dress for hidden pockets, but unfortunately there are none. I supposed I could sew one in if I really need one. I'm pretty sure the dress is about 20 to 30 years old so that might be why the pockets weren't included.

I got the score sheets from competition and the judges did really like the dress.

All the vintage dresses I've seen have pockets, but it's no big deal. In fact you could put one under the top frill if you can find a bit of fabric in a similar darkish colour.Doesn't have to be huge - just enough for keys and some cash and a lippy! Ours tend to be built into the petticoat frill to maintain some decorum!

Sorry off topic, but I need help Arizona!! If I remember correctly you are the one that does beading, right?

So I have a gown with beading on the front and lots are broken so I want to try to re-bead. Any suggestions. The problem is that the beading in on the front, the insdie lined. I dont know how to run the thread thru the front without going through the back of the dress...

This is the link to the dress... It is on EBay. I hope this is not against the rules, not trying to sell here but it is the only place I have pictures... Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120602956540&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT

When I have added or fixed beading, I have just sewn through both layers, you'll just need to make sure that when you do the beads that you are not pulling the lining out of line. You can experiment with a single bead at a time or three or 4 or just going continuously to see what works best for the pattern. Also, You can try starting your thread through the lining, and then just going in and out of the outer layer and finish it off back through the lining.

But when I have beaded dresses it has been just right through the lining.

Archived