No more TA discounts on NCL cruises

2Cruise4Ever

I have read on here before about people getting these huge discounts from on line TA's. When I first joined CC I asked about how people where getting these discounts and a couple of people tried to explain to me. I then spent several weeks contacting several on line TA's and cruise discounters over the phone and through emails, and I was never able to come up with the huge discounts that people talk about. So I have a question for those who are getting the huge discounts from TA's and on line discounters. Just so I know if we are comparing apples to apples. When you say that you are getting your cruise for several hundreds or thousands less than what you can get it for from NCL, when you check the prices with NCL are you checking the price of full undiscounted fares and comparing what you get from the TA less the discounts? Reason I am asking is that if I go to NCL.com and I check the price of my cruise without any discounts it comes up with a price of $3378.42 and I have a quote from an on line TA of $2904.00 which is a savings of $474.00 sounds good, but if I am on NCL and enter all the discounts I am entitled to such as Latitudes and over 55 and union I come up with a price from NCL of $3084 now we are only at a difference of $180 still a nice discount but no where near the big $474 discount. The $2904 price from the TA includes my lattitudes, over 55 and union discount. So what I'm asking is when you are quoting the NCL price vs the TA price are you quoting one with discounts and one at full fare?

When I book I am entitled to the latitudes discount , no others. I do search long and hard and have yet to book direct with NCL. Now we do always book a suite , so that may have an influence in the larger discount , I dont know . But I can tell you that we almost always pay substantially less than what NCL is quoting and I'm sad to hear its changing..;)

edit :: 2C4E , yes we use the same online site ,and others..

The highest OBC I've seen them advertise (through purchase with points) is $1,000, which would require a much higher cruise fare to get than we we would typically pay. There is no way the OBC offer will be anywhere near what the discount was.

I agree.

I have booked with the same on line TA since 2003 because of the FABULOUS and unbeatable rates they offered 'registered members'. I got the email about the changes a couple days ago.

They will be offering other perks, but the truth is, they always DID...We used to get really good OBC on top of really good cruise prices. I don't think they will make it up in OBC :(

They are going to offer free insurance, but I like to purchase my own so I know what I'm getting.

No matter what I still will probably book through that TA. I have had nothing but good experiences using them for all these years and although I know some people have good luck booking directly with the cruise lines, there are enough complaints about inept service on these boards when booking with the cruise lines to turn me away from doing so....

Thats great that NCL finally woke up. They spend quite a bit of money on their cruise consultants and its disappointing to see that certain online travel agencies offer large discounts for Garden Villas Penthouses, etc. I booked a a2 and an online discounter was considerably less. I prefer to book through NCL
Just curious: why is it disappointing to spend LESS for a cruise????

SERIOUSLY! :eek:

I have read on here before about people getting these huge discounts from on line TA's. When I first joined CC I asked about how people where getting these discounts and a couple of people tried to explain to me. I then spent several weeks contacting several on line TA's and cruise discounters over the phone and through emails, and I was never able to come up with the huge discounts that people talk about. So I have a question for those who are getting the huge discounts from TA's and on line discounters. Just so I know if we are comparing apples to apples. When you say that you are getting your cruise for several hundreds or thousands less than what you can get it for from NCL, when you check the prices with NCL are you checking the price of full undiscounted fares and comparing what you get from the TA less the discounts? Reason I am asking is that if I go to NCL.com and I check the price of my cruise without any discounts it comes up with a price of $3378.42 and I have a quote from an on line TA of $2904.00 which is a savings of $474.00 sounds good, but if I am on NCL and enter all the discounts I am entitled to such as Latitudes and over 55 and union I come up with a price from NCL of $3084 now we are only at a difference of $180 still a nice discount but no where near the big $474 discount. The $2904 price from the TA includes my lattitudes, over 55 and union discount. So what I'm asking is when you are quoting the NCL price vs the TA price are you quoting one with discounts and one at full fare?

Just curious what ship/sail date/cabin type you are looking at. As far as I know, only one type of discount can be applied toward a booking. You can't apply multiple discounts because each discount has a distinct fare code.

Also, I am sure that the online discounters are finding the cheapest fare code applicable to a sailing and discounting from there. Like some others have stated it would be impossible to give a $1500 discount on a $6300 cruise. The commission is LESS than $1000! If you take into account NCFs and taxes, average commission for those in the highest tier comes out to about 6% - 9% of the total cruise price.

When I book I am entitled to the latitudes discount , no others. I do search long and hard and have yet to book direct with NCL. Now we do always book a suite , so that may have an influence in the larger discount , I dont know . But I can tell you that we almost always pay substantially less than what NCL is quoting and I'm sad to hear its changing..;)

edit :: 2C4E , yes we use the same online site ,and others..

Same here. ..

When I was comparing my price quotes I was comparing pricing on an AD suite on the Star for a seven day cruise to Mexico at the end of April. When I book through NCL my PCC can and does give me the Lattitudes, over 55 and Union discount. So when booking though NCL I can get a discount off the full fare they quote any where from $300 to $500 less depending on the cruise and type of cabin. When I was pricing my cruise to Alaska on the Star in an AE suite I paid $3827 from NCL and the lowest price I could find from searching for months though on line TA's was $3668 only a savings of $150. Still a nice discount but still no where near the thousands of dollars that some people here are getting. Also when getting these quotes I am not being offered any OBC over and above what NCL offers and some of these on line agencies want you to pay them a non refundable fee of $15 to $25 so that also cuts down the amount of the discount they are quoting. When I ask for quotes from various on line agencies I tell them what discounts I am entitled to and they have never been able to come up with any discount that made me feel it was worth not being able to be able to deal directly with NCL without having to go through a third party.

When I was comparing my price quotes I was comparing pricing on an AD suite on the Star for a seven day cruise to Mexico at the end of April. When I book through NCL my PCC can and does give me the Lattitudes, over 55 and Union discount. So when booking though NCL I can get a discount off the full fare they quote any where from $300 to $500 less depending on the cruise and type of cabin. When I was pricing my cruise to Alaska on the Star in an AE suite I paid $3827 from NCL and the lowest price I could find from searching for months though on line TA's was $3668 only a savings of $150. Still a nice discount but still no where near the thousands of dollars that some people here are getting. Also when getting these quotes I am not being offered any OBC over and above what NCL offers and some of these on line agencies want you to pay them a non refundable fee of $15 to $25 so that also cuts down the amount of the discount they are quoting. When I ask for quotes from various on line agencies I tell them what discounts I am entitled to and they have never been able to come up with any discount that made me feel it was worth not being able to be able to deal directly with NCL without having to go through a third party.

I never saved thousands either...but the people who did may be saving that for an entire family in a suite. When I book, it's a balcony cabin for two. We have saved hundreds using our on line TA, but never thousands.

Hundreds was good enough for me. :)

Their 'service fee' was a mere $5.95...WELL worth it.

The downside was they did have a cancellation fee of $50 that the cruiselines did not have, but we have never cancelled a cruise we had booked so it never mattered.

I am really bummed about this new development but cruising is still a reasonable vacation so I won't stay bummed for long. ;)

I've been very spoiled by these great prices the past 3 or 4 years. It was great while it lasted.

I never saved thousands either...but the people who did may be saving that for an entire family in a suite. When I book, it's a balcony cabin for two. We have saved hundreds using our on line TA, but never thousands.

Hundreds was good enough for me. :)

Their 'service fee' was a mere $5.95...WELL worth it.

The downside was they did have a cancellation fee of $50 that the cruiselines did not have, but we have never cancelled a cruise we had booked so it never mattered.

I am really bummed about this new development but cruising is still a reasonable vacation so I won't stay bummed for long. ;)

I've been very spoiled by these great prices the past 3 or 4 years. It was great while it lasted.

I also used that travel agent when booking NCL. The free insurance they will be offering comes with a possible caveat. When we inquired about purchasing insurance from them, it was clear that if you had to cancel ,you wouldn't get a cash refund, but credit toward a future cruise booked thru them. I think this is an important feature that may matter to some and not to others.

And should be questioned when they offer you the free insurance.

I agree.

I have booked with the same on line TA since 2003 because of the FABULOUS and unbeatable rates they offered 'registered members'. I got the email about the changes a couple days ago.

They will be offering other perks, but the truth is, they always DID...We used to get really good OBC on top of really good cruise prices. I don't think they will make it up in OBC :(

They are going to offer free insurance, but I like to purchase my own so I know what I'm getting.

No matter what I still will probably book through that TA. I have had nothing but good experiences using them for all these years and although I know some people have good luck booking directly with the cruise lines, there are enough complaints about inept service on these boards when booking with the cruise lines to turn me away from doing so....

SERIOUSLY! :eek:

NCL is offering free insruance in lieu of discounts. Your TA is just passing along the NCL freebie.

I tend to get better deals from travel agents than by booking direct. the agents either discount the commission or kick back as OBC. as the deals are better, I will use an agent. However, I do my own research. I make my own decisions, and the travel agent just places the order and is an unnecessary middleman. No offense intended to agents; some people need or want the service. I don't happen to need an agent for anything but do desire a discount or OBC. I look forward to the day when cruise lines wake up and join the Internet age by giving Internet customers their best price. That will be good for me and good for the cruise line's bottom line. If NCL's policy discounting policy is a first move in that direction, fine.

Like some others have stated it would be impossible to give a $1500 discount on a $6300 cruise. The commission is LESS than $1000! If you take into account NCFs and taxes, average commission for those in the highest tier comes out to about 6% - 9% of the total cruise price.

Like we said before, it's NOT the COMMISSION...it's the fact that they purchase a block of cabins (as a group) and then pass on the discount to the consumer.

Trust me... that $1,500 discount is FOR REAL!

Like we said before, it's NOT the COMMISSION...it's the fact that they purchase a block of cabins (as a group) and then pass on the discount to the consumer.

Travel agencies can reserve a block of cabins (they don't purchase them) but they CANNOT reserve suites WITHOUT both full names and deposits on the cabins.

I'll make you a bet. I'll send you $50 if you can find me a similar cruise for a similar price that can be booked currently. Show me any $6000 cruise that has a $1500 discount because I just can't see it happening. Get a quote today and post how much they are charging for a suite.

Travel agencies can reserve a block of cabins (they don't purchase them) but they CANNOT reserve suites WITHOUT both full names and deposits on the cabins.

I'll make you a bet. I'll send you $50 if you can find me a similar cruise for a similar price that can be booked currently. Show me any $6000 cruise that has a $1500 discount because I just can't see it happening. Get a quote today and post how much they are charging for a suite.

Um, the name on the cabins to begin with is the Travel Agency. They don't sell those cabins, they pay for them.

Since the price of a cruise has dropped over the last few years overall, I doubt I will find the $1,500 savings today. BUT, 4 years ago, when we booked the NCL Dawn (in a penthouse).. the price on NCL was $8,000 (approximately... give or take a few dollars). We booked through our TA, for $6,500. Why would I lie about THAT????

I believe you..

Um, the name on the cabins to begin with is the Travel Agency. They don't sell those cabins, they pay for them.

Since the price of a cruise has dropped over the last few years overall, I doubt I will find the $1,500 savings today. BUT, 4 years ago, when we booked the NCL Dawn (in a penthouse).. the price on NCL was $8,000 (approximately... give or take a few dollars). We booked through our TA, for $6,500. Why would I lie about THAT????

I'm not saying that you would lie about it. I just know that A LOT of agencies throw around numbers and percentages. When I was a consumer, I would get all of these emails from the various companies saying "This exclusive sale only through our agency, blah, blah, blah. 70% - 80% off! What they don't tell you is that is off the full fare and nobody pays full fare." In fact, I STILL get those same exact emails and it's a lot of deceptive advertising.

Now that I'm on the other side, I sadly see that a majority of all that advertising is a LIE. For the most part, there really aren't exclusive sales. They might throw in a coupon book but those prices are available to every agency out there.

What I am wondering is if when the prices were compared, were the discounts applied to the $8000 cruise or was that the price before Latitudes, other discounts, etc. were applied.

And I don't know what you mean by the agency pays for them? You mean the agency goes ahead and buys the suite outright and then turns around and sells them? I don't think any agency would be that bold and risk having to hold onto unsold inventory without a possible buyer. A dozen suites unsold here and there could lead that agency into bankruptcy!

I'm not saying that you would lie about it. I just know that A LOT of agencies throw around numbers and percentages. When I was a consumer, I would get all of these emails from the various companies saying "This exclusive sale only through our agency, blah, blah, blah. 70% - 80% off! What they don't tell you is that is off the full fare and nobody pays full fare." In fact, I STILL get those same exact emails and it's a lot of deceptive advertising.

Now that I'm on the other side, I sadly see that a majority of all that advertising is a LIE. For the most part, there really aren't exclusive sales. They might throw in a coupon book but those prices are available to every agency out there.

What I am wondering is if when the prices were compared, were the discounts applied to the $8000 cruise or was that the price before Latitudes, other discounts, etc. were applied.

And I don't know what you mean by the agency pays for them? You mean the agency goes ahead and buys the suite outright and then turns around and sells them? I don't think any agency would be that bold and risk having to hold onto unsold inventory without a possible buyer. A dozen suites unsold here and there could lead that agency into bankruptcy!

You are absolutely right in that agencies throw around numbers and figures that aren't exactly accurate.

What I am saying is... I looked at NCL.com for our suite... the total price (including port charges and taxes) was about $8,000, then I went to my on-line TA... and it was about $6,500 (including port charges and taxes). What we paid (on the credit card) was approximately $6,500 (give or take a few bucks). What we would have paid with NCL.com was approximately $8,000 (give or take a few bucks).

What our agency does is a gamble: they block off (purchase) cabins (a certain number in each category). If they don't sell them, then they eat the cost. If they do, then they (and NCL) win. They have always been able to sell them.

One of the reasons I know this is when we booked that 2006 cruise, after final payment, we couldn't get our e-docs. I contacted our TA and was told that the others "in our group" hadn't completed their on-line profiles. Once they did, the e-docs were released. So, I called for more clarification (because we were not part of a "group"). And, found out how they did business.

BTW, here's another reason why the various cruise lines have restricted rebating.

"... some years back the biggest rebater in the cruise industry— South Florida Cruises— rebated itself out of business. Travelers were stranded, the entire industry got a black eye and the cruise lines had a huge mess to handle. He also cited another sad situation – that of Cruise Value Center (CVC), noting that Cruise Week reported at the time that nearly $3 million in client final payments were never forwarded to the suppliers. Had CVC not rebated they would most likely be in business today...".

If one of these online agencies closes its doors and goes out of business, you could have a really tough time with your reservation. The cruise line won't talk to you about your booking and until they can actually verify the agency is gone, there is nothing you can do.

Many TAs had this happen to them when a huge host agency when out of business in the last year and a half and it took months for the cruise lines to assign the bookings to new agencies so they could get paid. Since there was no one at the host agency to confirm the bookings could be transferred the cruise lines wouldn't transfer them. Even pending lawsuits and news articles about the agency basically being closed did not resolve the issue.

I'm glad somebody does. Because I don't appreciate being called a liar. Thank you!

BTW, I never called you a liar and I am sorry if you thought that I implied that. Truly was not my intention. I just wanted some more clarification.

Understanding now that the agency you went through actually does purchase a block a cabins makes a lot more sense. That being the case, you very well of could have seen such a significant price difference. Like you stated, it's a risky thing to do but it could well pay off in the long run if the prices go up on suites. Kinda like buying a stock hoping it would double in a year. Only they can return them before final payment for a refund.

Maybe this is part of the reason that the companies in my previous post might have went out of business and stranded thousands of cruisers?!?!?

I booked an SF suite 10166 on the Pear for April/2011

0n 2/10/2010 thru my TA for $6659 includes taxes/fees/everything plus 300 OBC--

todays NCL price ( and there are a lot left)--$8021 includes taxes and fees

Total savings from my TA $1362 plus $300OBC

This an example of what i will save any longer.

Big Green

Big Green

BG ~ enjoy the savings while you can!

Big Green

no it isn't

1. The price today is different than the price in February.

2. If the TA is willing to kick back commissions through a discount, they will kick back commissions through an OBC.

Archived