5 day Feb vaca on NCL Dawn w/8&6 yr sons

dlopiccolo

Hi I am vacation hunting for Febuary vacation of 2011. NCL has a 5 day W. Carib. on the Dawn stopping in Cozumel and Grand Caymen. It has caught my attention for a few key reasons. 1) the price is right 2) the Sun to Fri itenerary allows us to travel from MASS to FL a day early in the midst of possible snow storms and travel back with time to regroup before school starts on Monday. 3) I've heard Grand Cayman is beutiful 4) The freestyle cruising concept is warming up to me...less to pack when airlines are charging more for luggage.

So...has anyone travelled this cruise/ship before? If yes, pros/cons? Best (in your opinion) place on the ship to try to get a room? (the prices are so good I "might" try to spring for a mini suite. Excursions??? I asume all the cruise lines offer similar options...what is the best excursions for 6&8 year boys...they are not strong swimmers and are not into thrill rides but we love to explore new things. Is the Tulum Ruins worth the hour drive in Cozumel???? Thank you for any advice you can provide. I'm all over the map with this planning! I'm torn between a cruise, trying Disney LAND on the W. coast or holding out for Disney World (again) yet trying to stick to a family budget of 5K give or take. (incl airfare). THANKS!!!

:) I think they would have a good time on the trip!! I've not been on that ship but I have been to Cayman and Cozumel with my daughter when she has been those ages. She had a blast. We took her to the Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman which she loved. We did take her out swimming with the sting rays when she was 8. I know there are age limits on those excursions and I can't remember how old you have to be. Our favorite Grand Cayman day was when we rented a car and drove to the Turtle Farm and spent the afternoon on 7 mile beach. I personally would skip Hell. It's not that great.

I haven't been to Talum in over 12 years so I can't give any input because I don't remember. LOL! I personally really liked NCLs dinning program. It's nice to have a laid back go to dinner when you want cruise. :)

If you go to Grand Cayman - we did the submarine. I booked it myself online and the savings were significant. There office/shop is really just steps from the dock and you will love all that you can see - there isn't a bad seat. We did it at the request of my son and I was not thrilled about going down in a sub but it is easy and I didn't have the claustrophobia that I worried about.

We also did an island tour that we picked up on shore. There are plenty of vans that will take you around at significantly less than the ship tour price. They will include the turtle farm, hell and the rum factory and will offer to drop you off at 7 mile beach.

As for Cozumel, I love the ruins but would not choose to spend that much time on a bus with two young boys - a better choice would probably be something more active.

I have mixed feelings about NCL but I can see that it might be just the right choice for your time frame and needs. I must say I lived in Orlando for a long time and we had Disney World passes for years but I can still vote for Disneyland with California Adventure. It is more compact and easier to navigate, the rides are a great combination of 'old' Disney, Coney Island and hot, new ideas. Your family will have a great time no matter what you choose.

Hi I am vacation hunting for Febuary vacation of 2011. NCL has a 5 day W. Carib. on the Dawn stopping in Cozumel and Grand Caymen. It has caught my attention for a few key reasons. 1) the price is right 2) the Sun to Fri itenerary allows us to travel from MASS to FL a day early in the midst of possible snow storms and travel back with time to regroup before school starts on Monday. 3) I've heard Grand Cayman is beutiful 4) The freestyle cruising concept is warming up to me...less to pack when airlines are charging more for luggage.

So...has anyone travelled this cruise/ship before? If yes, pros/cons? Best (in your opinion) place on the ship to try to get a room? (the prices are so good I "might" try to spring for a mini suite. Excursions??? I asume all the cruise lines offer similar options...what is the best excursions for 6&8 year boys...they are not strong swimmers and are not into thrill rides but we love to explore new things. Is the Tulum Ruins worth the hour drive in Cozumel???? Thank you for any advice you can provide. I'm all over the map with this planning! I'm torn between a cruise, trying Disney LAND on the W. coast or holding out for Disney World (again) yet trying to stick to a family budget of 5K give or take. (incl airfare). THANKS!!!

I think this 5 day cruise sounds great. I would not advise going to Tulum with little kids. It is an 8 hour trip, hot and boring. It takes up the entire day and I just do not think the kids would enjoy it.

Archived