Veendam Stern cabins

I'd appreciate any views, thoughts or photos about the new stern cabins on the Veendam. We're in 76 for the cruise from Rio and up the Amazon next March. Are they worth the additional cost?

We were in 089 and the balconies on the stern are very deep--lots more room. Watching the wake was very relaxing at sea but I found that I prefer a side balcony when it comes to arriving and departing ports. Watching where you have been just isn't the same as watching what is coming up. When you are in the stern in Hamilton your only amusement comes from watching containers being loaded on the ship behind you. A starboard balcony would have afforded a view of the activity on Front Street.

The cabins, being new, were very nice and the air conditioning vent was not directly over the bed which was a plus. I don't know if it is peculiar to the new aft cabins or is a general issue on the Veendam but the plumbing makes a terrible racket at sea. The drains in the tub and basin sound like a coffee perk and water splashes out of the basin drain if it is rough. We had to close the bathrooom door at night because it was non stop and it kept us awake. I tried closing the plug in the basin but when I went in there in the middle of the night, the basin had filled with water. The force of the water coming up had pushed the plug up and then it had closed over it, preventing it from draining. Since I didn't want a flood, I stopped closing the plug at night. That is the first time I have ever encountered a situation like that at sea.

Hello, my dh and i just got off the veendam today. we also were 089. neither my, or my dh, heard anything from the bathroom at night or during the day. we did here some noise from the floor above us and that's where the retreat is. it was not so much that i wouldnt book the room though. there are two lounge chairs, two captains chairs, and two small round tables on the balcony. and yes, the view in hamilton was disappointing, but the wake, while the ship is at sea, is well worth it. enjoy your trip. i wish i was back on her.

Very helpful, thank you. Our cruise is gong up the amazon so we thought the rear cabins would afford a decent view of either bank.

Is there any furniture on the balconies other than the small table and chairs?

MN

Just the two chairs and a small table but there was certainly room for more. There may have been a footstool but I honestly can't remember, which scares me.:eek:

Archived