Anthing to do at ports with little ones?

DianaAqua

We will be cruising on the Star Princess in April with my 1 and 3 year old. I am a bit of a safetey freak so am not comfortable getting in a cab with my kids on my lap. Is there stuff like shopping or accessible beaches within walking distance when we get off the ship at ports of call? We will be visiting Cozumel, Ocho Rios, Grand Caymen and Princess' private island. I am almost dreading this cruise thinking we will be stuck on the ship for 7 days and my kids are too young for the childrens program. The up side is my mother in law is paying for the whole family to go!

Diana

Diana,

We just got back yesterday and traveled with my brother, sister in law and their two young children ages 3 and 1. They did not use the car seat once we were in port. They did the butterfly farm/semisubmersible sub in GRand Caymans and they held the kids on their laps. In Cozumel my brother and sister in law went on their own for an excursion and we took the kids to paradise beach which was about a fifteen minute drive. We held them on our laps in both to and from the beach. We didn't have any problems!

Diana:

Check out onestepahead.com. They have a Toto 'n' Go DX portable car seat which weighs 4 lbs. and costs $30. It is for kids 25-40 lbs, and up to 40". Another option is the Sit 'n Stroll - it is a stroller with retractable wheels which converts to a car seat and an FAA-approved flight seat. It is $200 and is designed for children up to 40".

We bought the Sit 'n Stroll for a trip to Italy when my now 6 year old was 11 months. I knew we would be both spending a lot of time in taxis in Rome (!!)and driving a lot with a rental car. It brought me peace of mind. I have used it since on a couple of trips to Europe when I knew we would be spending a lot of time driving. It is very light weight and yet very sturdy (spent a lot of time with dad grabbing the bottom and mom holding the handles as we traversed the many stairs in Venice!)

However, it does not recline - makes it uncomfortable for a toddler to nap. There is no storage - you need to get a bag for the back. There's no hood - so no shade and no rain cover. It does not collapse - so no stowing under your bed in the cabin. I've never once been able to convince an airline (US or other) that we should be able to bring it on board as a "plane" seat.

Having said all of this, on our recent cruise on the Glory, we took a collapsible umbrella stroller which had a five point harness, reclining seat, hood and basket underneath. Took a rain cover and bug net. Very much needed the rain cover (although mostly in Florida) and never used the bug net.

Also, got a car seat for the rental car from the agency while in Florida. Then, held my two-year old daughter in my lap for the short cab rides to Paradise Beach in Cozumel and Dzibultchuan (sp?) in Progreso.

We're considering a trip to the southern caribbean, and I think I'll get the Tote 'n Go for my daughter, as on that trip we will likely spend much more time in vehicles sightseeing. I am particularly concerned about Dominica, which apparently has winding, narrow mountain roads, the maintenance of which I am uncertain about.

Hope this helps a little.

Diana:

I've never once been able to convince an airline (US or other) that we should be able to bring it on board as a "plane" seat.

I travel exclusively on airlines with the sit n stroll for my daughter. I have never been refused to bring it on board as a "plane" seat for her. Did they tell you why you couldn't use it in her seat?

I've used it on United, American, Southwest, and America West.

thanx!

Has this been recently? In fairness, it's been a few years since I've tried. I was just refused so often from 1999 to about 2002 that I just quit asking. It's terrific the airlines seem to have gotten with the program! Thanks for the info.

Has this been recently? In fairness, it's been a few years since I've tried. I was just refused so often from 1999 to about 2002 that I just quit asking. It's terrific the airlines seem to have gotten with the program! Thanks for the info.

I've been using it since 2003. Each airline has always let me secure it in her seat.

I am traveling to Mexico in a few weeks - you made me nervous! :)

Take care!

Archived