Family Friendly Activities--Not Disney

roxannex

It's cruise planning time again! For the past two Decembers we've been Caribbean cruising with my mom and grandma (who just turned 90). It's also me, my husband and our 4 year old son.

We loved all the family friendly activities on Disney. The kids club was great too, but our son didn't go that much since grandma and GG (great grandma) love to hang out with him. But we all enjoyed the activities together. We went on Freedom of the Seas last year, and while it was nice...we did miss the family friendly activities. We're not going rock climbing and we never did the ice skating and we did 10 minutes on the crowded flow rider. :)

The thing is that I would rather wait until next year for Disney so we could go on the Dream when (hopefully) prices will come down a little...also would prefer a 7 day cruise.

Am I kidding myself that there is another line/ship where can find lots of fun things to do together? I think I am. I was looking at the Norwegian Epic, which seems to have great entertainment, but reviews have been mixed and I don't really like to pay a premium for a new ship...would rather wait until prices come down.

I was thinking maybe Crown or Ruby Princess? Love the MOTS...which they had on Disney as well. There is a 9 day out of Baltimore on the Celebrity Mercury and we wouldn't have to fly. But they are retiring the ship and 4-5 of the 9 days will probably be cold as we cruise down from Baltimore.

Any cruise gurus with a suggestion? I think I am really looking for Disney. LOL.

We are fans of Princess but I am not quite sure by what you feel is family friendly. Certainly, some Princess ships have MUTS, there are the pools, ping pong, sports courts but the children's program does not usually involve the adults. There is afternoon tea and the evening shows. I guess part of the equation is how many sea days you have since on port days you will be out and about together. What is it about Disney that you enjoyed - then we can all let you know if you will find that on other lines?.

Thanks! I'm talking about the special activities listed in the daily itineraries. There was a Disney trivia game show. Frog hopping with prizes for the kids. The pirate night complete with the pirate party on deck afterwards. Etc...As opposed to just the usual napkin folding, salsa lessons, basketball, etc...

Obviously, very geared to kids, but we all enjoyed them. As I'm writing this, I know that the other lines don't have these kinds of things because they are very "Disney-esque!" We also loved the entertainment--felt that the shows were great quality (something that Disney does well in general). Loved the movie screen on deck showing animated films during the day.

I've heard great things about Princess, so we may end up trying them. But I'm pretty sure that Disney is Disney and then there's everything else when it comes to family entertainment. Or maybe I wait and see if they have any offers coming up for the winter....

Plenty of people on this board will tell you they have cruised Princess with their kids and loved it. I also like Princess, but only when it is my husband and I. I find the line to be a bit more sedate and would choose RCI over Princess when traveling w/children( probably won't try Disney for a few years). The ship itself is slightly more refined (instead of a Promenade it is a 3-tier approach that is very elegant). I also don't recall a great deal of 'family' activities outside of the usual family trivia, MUTS, etc.

It sounds like you enjoy having your little guy hang out with you and that your experience with RCI was good....but missing something. If you anticipate that will still be the case and Disney fits the bill ....sounds like you have your answer:D

In all honesty most ship's scheduled activites are geared towards adults. I've never really been on a ship (besides Disney) that had activities for kids (asides from the already mentioned ice carving) outside of the children's center programing. Now with that said I have never had a problem entertaining my child on a ship. There is the pool and depending on the ship the ping pong tables, arcades, mini-golf, basketball court etc. If you really want the scheduled organized activities to be provided by the ship I think you already now the answer. Disney.

We're cruising Disney in Feb. 2011 for exactly that reason - looking for family-friendly activities we can all enjoy together... Last year on Carnival, we found there really weren't any. Our kids are in school and daycare all day long while we both work, so when we go on vacation we really value the time we get to spend together as a family and don't want to send them to the kids clubs the whole time... I do wonder if the new Dreamworks partnership with RCI will result in some family-friendly activities that take place outside the kids clubs, but too soon too tell... I'm hopeful though - that's why we booked Liberty for 2012 :o

One thing about Princess is that parents are allowed in the kids club (one parent at a time is the rule, but hasn't really been followed when I've been there). Most parents don't, but I loved to sit with my kids and do the arts & crafts, play on the equipment outside with them, etc. We also enjoy dancing before and after dinner in the lounges. They do have theme night parties and lots of kids go, but they usually start late (like 9 or 10) and we're always in bed by them :)

Best,

Mia

Archived