Itinerary change. Shop times?

Babie

Our itnierary for the Grand in April was changed today. Belize and Costa Maya were switched. This would be a good idea except the port time for Belize is 6:30am til 1:30pm. I had a snorkeling excursion booked for Rendezvous Caye, but I think 6:30 is entirely too early to snorkel (or even have breakfast)

So, Ive canceled the excursion and will spend the day in port. I've been there twice, so I know people warn not to leave the Tourism Village (I prefer the shopping outside to inside, I find it perfectly safe as long as you have the ability to say "no" with conviction).

What I'm wondering is what time do the shops normally open in the tourism village? I would assume they open between 8 and 10am. Anyone know?

I think the time of this visit sucks and is really just a waste of a perfectly good port. The only good thing is that Costa Maya's time is a bit better. IMO.

Thanx for any information on what to do that early in Belize.

LES!

We were on the Grand and the ports were switched without prior notice. It all turned out fine. Others may have differing opinion from my own but...

Costa Maya does have shopping, but the tourist village prices are higher than say Cozumel. You can take a taxi into the town, but most said it was not really that great. I could have skipped shopping in Costa Maya and done perhaps a snorkling tour. The shops on the perimeter of the village are ok, however the "craft area/stall shopping" just subjects you to pushy, in your face people trying to sell you anything. When we sailed away from Costa Maya the whole area was already dark as the cruise ships are their only business and we were the only cruise ship.

Belize, according to our guide, is not a safe place to wander about outside of the tourist village. Talk about abject poverty, crime, drugs, scary looking back alleys, shantys for homes.... We took the cave tour and drove thru the town and country side, it was a depressing site. They do have million dollar homes here, but we saw none and the guide said some had been taken away from the "foreigners" who had built on the island. According to the guide, the native Mayans still live in the hills and reject progress. Others may be more adventurous - but not I.

Archived