Done the forts,OSJ, El Yunque...what else?

calliecat

As you can see by my post, we've done the forts, walked around OSJ, been to the rainforest, Bacardi factory....we will be in San Juan for a couple days prior to leaving on Jan 2 on the Caribbean Princess and wonder if anyone has some other suggestions.

We will have a rental car so we could head out of SJ. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We will have our 18yr old son with us and we are open to just about anything.

If you are "foodies" I highly recommend the Old San Juan Food and Culture tour (try googling that phrase). I would suggest doing it early in your stay because you'll find restaurants you want to go back to for a full meal!

I gather you'll be arriving on or near New Year's Eve, right? On Jan 1 everything will be closed, of course, except beaches. Old San Juan is pretty festive all through the holidays and there will probably be concerts in some of the plazas.

My first thought was to recommend Ponce, on the southern coast, because it's a nice city with small museums, old houses, and there's a nice old coffe plantation nearby that you can visit. However, the dates may be all wrong for that.

My second thought then would be perhaps to stay in one of the resorts in Rincon (west coast, google Porta del Sol for info on that area) or Rio Grande (can't name names, as a local ;) but there are lots of discussions about the hotels in that area right on this board). You can enjoy a couple of days relaxing and hotels normally have a big party for NYE.

HTH! :)

san juan and the rain forest is less than 5% of Puerto Rico, you might want to explore the west, northwest, mountain and southern region

1. Camuy caves (western region)

2. Toro Verde (zipline, hiking, mountain bike, located in Orocovis)

Toro Negro (rainforest in Orocovis)

3. Ponce, the second largest city of Puerto Rico, southern region

4. Guavate (traditional roastpig restaurants located in the mountain region, as seen in travel channel

5. Revolution Square (located in the mountain region, in the municipality of Lares, first independence revolt 1868)

6. Rio Tanamá (hiking, caves, waterfalls located in Utuado, mountain region)

7. Mayaguez , third largest city of Puerto Rico located in the western region

8. Museo de Arte (puerto rico's premier museum located in Ponce)

9. Coffee Plantations (many in the mountain region)

10. Cerveceria Medalla ( Brewery, Puerto Rico's national beer, brewery and factory tour, located in Mayaguez)

11. Rincon, bohemian and surf town located in the western region, many hotels, one of the best diving spots in the caribbean.

12. Cabo Rojo, the caribbean sea beach in the southwest (remember san juan and the north coast is facing the atlantic, the south facing the caribbean sea.)

13. Parque Botanico y Cultural de Caguas (a botanical and cultural park located in the city of Caguas where you can find the tobacco museum near as well)

14. Hipodromo Camarero (horse racing is one of Puerto Rico's top sports, weekly races in a very modern horseracing track center, includes indoor restaurant)

15. Tibes - Taino indian museum located in the southern region.

16. Guajataca, resorts in Quebradillas (northwest), lighthouses near and arecibo observatory and telescope.

So disappointed that everything will be closed on New Year's Day.....but that happened to us when we pulled into port

in Cabo San Lucas (I think). We will be coming in Dec 30 late evening, staying at ES on Isla Verde and we would have the entire day to explore on 12/31 once we picked up a rental car. I like the idea of getting in the car and driving. What would be possible to drive and possibly return back to Embassy Suites that evening (they might have a good NY Eve party!)? I have the map up as I type and I like the idea of driving to Vieques or even driving to Cerveceria Medalla. We enjoy seeing the countryside but I am unsure of distances.

Orquidia, I am overwhelmed by all of your responses, and I truly appreciate it. I will look at everything because we really need to leave San Juan and explore!

san juan and the rain forest is less than 5% of Puerto Rico, you might want to explore the west, northwest, mountain and southern region

1. Camuy caves (western region)

2. Toro Verde (zipline, hiking, mountain bike, located in Orocovis)

Toro Negro (rainforest in Orocovis)

3. Ponce, the second largest city of Puerto Rico, southern region

4. Guavate (traditional roastpig restaurants located in the mountain region, as seen in travel channel

5. Revolution Square (located in the mountain region, in the municipality of Lares, first independence revolt 1868)

6. Rio Tanamá (hiking, caves, waterfalls located in Utuado, mountain region)

7. Mayaguez , third largest city of Puerto Rico located in the western region

8. Museo de Arte (puerto rico's premier museum located in Ponce)

9. Coffee Plantations (many in the mountain region)

10. Cerveceria Medalla ( Brewery, Puerto Rico's national beer, brewery and factory tour, located in Mayaguez)

11. Rincon, bohemian and surf town located in the western region, many hotels, one of the best diving spots in the caribbean.

12. Cabo Rojo, the caribbean sea beach in the southwest (remember san juan and the north coast is facing the atlantic, the south facing the caribbean sea.)

13. Parque Botanico y Cultural de Caguas (a botanical and cultural park located in the city of Caguas where you can find the tobacco museum near as well)

14. Hipodromo Camarero (horse racing is one of Puerto Rico's top sports, weekly races in a very modern horseracing track center, includes indoor restaurant)

15. Tibes - Taino indian museum located in the southern region.

16. Guajataca, resorts in Quebradillas (northwest), lighthouses near and arecibo observatory and telescope.

Agree this is a great list, and I've heard really good things about the caves, in particular (although I haven't been there). Our tour guide in March said it was one of his favorite day-trips.

Archived