Have you been on the Fantasy?

~earthmama~

We were on the Fantasy 3 times last year and of those 3 times, only saw one man in a tux. If you are worried about other people's opinions of you, yes you will stick out like a neon sign. If, on the other hand, you go, enjoy yourselves and dress however you darn well please and could care less what others think of you, you will have a MUCH better cruise, IMHO.

Friends just went on the Fantasy and said even on the formal night everyone wore golf shirts. Was this your experience? I enjoy dressing UP for the formal night and DH usually wears a tux. Will we stick out like a sore thumb?

You will see everything on cruise elegant night. Wear what you feel good in, and enjoy your cruise elegant night. Dress up and have your picture made in front of several different backdrops. Happy cruising!

Unfortunately, it's anything goes.

I didn't notice anyone really dressed shabbily when we were on the Fantasy. I didn't notice anyone dressed "to the nines" either.. no ball gowns or tuxes.

I did see people in our group dressed in their Harry Potter related dressy-costumes, though. We had our own little area, so I don't think we disrupted too many people. I hope, anyway.

Thanks for this thread!

HELP! For these Cruise Elegant Evenings on Fantasy ... how do MOST men really dress? :confused:

DH has a tux, suits, sports coats, and golf shirts so that's not the problem. We just need to know what MOST men wear so he'll be neither be over nor under dressed.

Your honest replies will be very much appreciated. :)

I agree with some of the previous posters you will see from one extreme to the other as far as dress goes. We do enjoy dressing up and my husband does still wear his tux. We usually see a few men in tuxes but not many. If you decide to dress up you will not feel out of place because they usually have alot of people who dress up.

We were on the Fantasy last Aug, and my dh wore a suit and tie. I wore a long gown, and my girls were dressed up. I actually don't even remember what the other people on the cruise were wearing. Didn't bother me a bit. LOL We sail on her again in just 2 weeks! Cant wait, and I will be wearing a long gown again.

Friends just went on the Fantasy and said even on the formal night everyone wore golf shirts. Was this your experience? I enjoy dressing UP for the formal night and DH usually wears a tux. Will we stick out like a sore thumb?

If your friend had Formal night on the Fantasy it was over 2 years ago.:D

It has been eliminated fleetwide for pver 2 years now.You can even wear dress shorts everynight in the main dining rooms except on what they designate as an elegant night.Check the CCL website for the new codes.

Continue to feel free to wear jeans too.

Steve

If your friend had Formal night on the Fantasy it was over 2 years ago.:D

It has been eliminated fleetwide for pver 2 years now.You can even wear dress shorts everynight in the main dining rooms except on what they designate as an elegant night.Check the CCL website for the new codes.

Continue to feel free to wear jeans too.

Steve

Formal night was my words they did say elegant night.

I admit I wish they had stuck with no jeans and no shorts in the MDR.

We dress up foe elegant night.. We saw some tuxes on the ship..Hubby just went and got a plain tux from Tuxedo Junction with alot of add ons for a great price..He won't wear them all on the ship.. Just the jacket and pants and whatever shirt I bring..We do like dressing up from time to time.. Just go,dress up and have a great time!!! :D

Formal night...elegant night...call it what you may. We dress up. We just got off the Fantasy in June and 4 of the 6 men (including 2 teenagers) wore tuxes and the other 2 wore black dress suits. The women (5) wore formal gowns.

Turthfully non of us paid that much attention to others, but on looking around from where we were sitting, most women wore gowns and the men wore suits.

We had a fabulous time and our waiters, the Matre D, and several people seeing our teens commented on how nice they looked.

So if you like to dress up...elegant/formal night is the time to do it. :)

We are first time cruisers and will be on the Fantasy in August. To be honest, one of the reasons we chose Carnival was due to the more relaxed dress code and overall atmosphere. DH wouldn't survive a cruise that was more formal... he absolutely hates "dressing up" and the most I can get him to wear is a shirt/tie and dress pants, so that is what he will wear for elegant night. As for the other MDR nights, he is thrilled that he can wear jeans or khaki shorts with a nice shirt and I am thrilled because that means I can enjoy the MDR meals and not eat at the Lido Buffet all week :D.

One thing people forget is each cruise is unique. You have different groups of passengers on each one so someone may sail the week before you and have a very casual experience and you might sail and see mostly formals and tuxes or suits. That was our experience on Fantasy last year. The majority were dresses very well with only a few in more casual looking attire. Even on the last night I'd say over half of those in the dining room line were dressed in cocktail dresses and guys with ties and slacks. It was the dressiest cruise we'd been on. But to date I haven't been on one where casual was the majority on formal/elegant night. This time it may be but so far I haven't personally seen it.

:confused: What I'd really like to know is how MOST men dress for these Elegant Evenings? HELP!

Like I stated above every cruise is unique so no point in trying to predict what yours will be like. Instead decide what you are comfortable wearing and go with that. For me it's gowns or cocktail dresses on elegant night and dresses/skirts or nice capri sets on casual nights. I know no matter how anyone else is dressed I will feel comfortable in that attire so that is what I wear. I would much rather be over dressed than underdressed but so far I've never come close to feeling over dressed.

If you would be comfortable more casual (yet still within the dress code) then that is what you should wear.

We are first time cruisers and will be on the Fantasy in August. To be honest, one of the reasons we chose Carnival was due to the more relaxed dress code and overall atmosphere. DH wouldn't survive a cruise that was more formal... he absolutely hates "dressing up" and the most I can get him to wear is a shirt/tie and dress pants, so that is what he will wear for elegant night. As for the other MDR nights, he is thrilled that he can wear jeans or khaki shorts with a nice shirt and I am thrilled because that means I can enjoy the MDR meals and not eat at the Lido Buffet all week :D.

LOL I live at the beach and see enough grown men in short pants here in inappropriate locations. I always liked that ppl were expected to dress nicely to eat in the formal DR. Too me if you don't want to dress there are plenty of other options.

Even my 11 month old has a tux!

LOL I live at the beach and see enough grown men in short pants here in inappropriate locations. I always liked that ppl were expected to dress nicely to eat in the formal DR. Too me if you don't want to dress there are plenty of other options.

In fact, on Carnival, the opposite is true earthmama. Carnival RELAXED their dress code because that is what the majority of their passengers wanted. Rather than trying to get a ship to conform to your needs, perhaps it would be more appropriate for you to sale Celebrity, HAL, or even Regent or Crystal if you want to see people dressed up. You are NOT going to see much of it on Carnival ships, especially on shorter cruises. You might see several dress coats with or without ties on the week-long cruises but will likely see polos and Dockers on the 3, 4 or 5 day cruises.

That being said, you can dress however you want. Just know that you will be in black tie at a semi-formal event. If you're ok with that, then sail on :)

On our first Fantasy cruise, DH wore a tux. He looked great, and didn't stick out.

On our last Fantasy cruise, since the "formal" had been changed to "elegant", and the ship was rockin' and rollin' (physically:)), he wore his work slacks & a nice linen shirt.

Like the other posters said, whatever you wear will be fine, because there will likely be others dressed like you.

If I only saw one man in a tux, I would think, "WOW! What a classy guy!" ;)

Don't worry what anyone else wears... this is YOUR cruise!

Concur, okwriter. The above statement from OP has me a touch concerned for her though. The statement seems to infer that she "expects" people to "dress nicely" (which again, based on the 11 month old in a tux paradigm seems that her standards of "nicely" are higher than Carnival offers) and that if they choose not to, "there are other options". As long as she is comfortable in a gown and DH and DS in tuxes but does not have a hissy fit because others are in polos or dress shirts without ties (gasp!) then she should be ok. As you pointed out, she can show up in whatever she wishes as long as she knows that gowns and tuxes are overdressed for the dressed-down "elegant" nights.

Archived