Turtle Farm Questions

Silverscreencruiser

We're interested in going to the Turtle Farm in September but don't really want any of the snorkeling trips that include it. Does anyone offer a reasonably priced land based tour? Can you get discount tickets once you arrive in GC and take a bus? Should we see just the turtle farm or pay the extra $$ to see the rest of the park?

I've heard conflicting reports about the farm so I"m interested in hearing from anyone who's been there. My wife is a big animal lover so this seems to me to be the type of thing she'd be interested in.

You can purchase tickets directly from the establishment: http://www.boatswainsbeach.ky/tickets/

and take a public bus (#1 Yellow Line which is direct or the #2 Lime Green Line which passes a few blocks away).

Info here: http://www.boatswainsbeach.ky/about/faq.cfm

(please note, the bus depot location described on their website is outdated. It is now located a few block West from the tender area on North Church St., behind the Dairy Queen)

Oh, and may people without kids recommend just the Turtle Farm portion.

We went to the Turtle Farm in February. While we booked through the cruise line, it's easy enough to do on your own. There are two tickets available: one just gives you access to the farm area, while the other lets you access the lagoon, pool, aviary, and shark exhibit. We did the latter (yes, we have kids) and really enjoyed it. I have photos posted at http://travel.webshots.com/album/576847767qrpcbe?start=108.

It's quite a bit of extra money for what else you get to see in my opinion. It's nice but a little overpriced. The pool area is nice, the day we went there we spent a while relaxing by the pool then got some lunch there which was pretty good. Oh, and I learned that I'm horrible at trying to blow a conch horn. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

We thought it was OK, but not as big as we'd expected. We would have preferred a shorter time at the turtle farm. We didn't want to swim, & eventually got bored, so we walked across the street to try the samples at the rum cake factory & to look at the ocean.

The highlight for us was watching a large (foot-long) lizard cross the street & go into the swimming pool at the turtle farm! It seemed to enjoy itself immensely!

Archived