Train Travel on French Riviera

bardstowntraveller

I have been researching train options for our trip to the area in November. I am using the SNCF site which bumps me over to Rail Europe when I put in that I am from USA. I am able to get train schedules but the schedules don't indicate from which station the trains depart. Is there another site I can get regional train info from? My experience with the Rail Europe site is that the rates quoted are on the high side. I'm looking for the lowest fares and the most detailed schedules. HELP!!!

Shhh! Don't tell our little secret. You can look at the site saying you are English if you feel weird about looking as a Frenchman in English but it isn't a problem as they do not have a program onboard to filter you by isp. If you say that you would like the tickets electronically or alternatively pickup at the station you will be able to purchase on line with no problem.

Alternatively just wait to get to France to buy. But I have purchased online from SNCF with no problem.

The Bahn website is good for schedules (anywhere in Europe).

For prices, use the SNCF website (and why on earth would you say that you are from the USA;) ?)

The exact wording is "Sélectionnez le pays de réception ou de retrait des billets" ; which means "Select country in which you will collect your tickets". So, if you choose to pick up your tickets at the train station, France would be a very truthful answer.

I have written a blog post on this very subject -it's an advanced draft, so may not be perfect ; I only planned to publish it later. But just for you, here it is: http://www.walktomycruiseship.com/blog/?p=189

If someone has any suggestion to improve it, feel free to contact me

Thank you,

Olivier

Archived