Carnival v Royal C v Norwegian ~ Suggestions?

CupKayke

Hello! Husband and I are not first-time cruisers however, I would like some advice. We are looking at taking a 7-day cruise out of New Orleans in February 2011. We both have cruised with Carnival (LOVED) and with Royal Caribbean in the past (like Carnival better but still LOVED) and we are completely unfamiliar with Norwegian. For the month, the places you can visit, and the price ~ Norwegian has the best deal however, the reviews have me running toward Carnival. Anyone have any opinions to lend?

We are in our late 30s, no children, balcony cabin only, want a fridge in our room, comfy bed, like late dining or open option, husband smokes (on balcony), I like to take fancy pictures, he likes drinks (and me too at times), and we both like good food. I want iced tea available (preferrably through room service like Royal), and I want decent room service (again, Royal did very well on this and Carnival so-so), and I just want to relax and have a fantastic time (of course)! I don't want to do the Bahamas/Key West or Cozumel/Progresso route so I'm looking at the Belize/Cayman Islands routes. We aren't picky but I would dislike picking a ship and then not having the small luxuries like a fridge in the room or good food. Opinions requested! :D

We live in the New Orleans area and therefore, like to cruise out of New Orleans to save on airfare. We have taken the NCL Spirit the past 3 years for either Mardi Gras week or spring break because our kids are out of school and the prices were the best. We have also been on the Truimph and Fantasy out of New Orleans. I will try my best to give a rundown. The food and entertainment have varied from year to year on the NCL. In my opinion, NCL and Carnival are on the same level in regards to food quality, Carnival maybe being a slight bit better but then again, it depends on the particular dish. Carnivals beds are more comfortable but NCL's aren't horrible. We have never had a frig. on any ship. We get either an interior or window cabin, never a balcony.

This past spring break, we felt like we had the best entertainment on the NCL that we have had on any ship. It was a show called Elements. Excellent. Overall, we like the NCL Spirit because it stops 4 times with good ports. We like stopping 4 times as opposed to 3 on the Carnival. We like both cruise lines. We feel that the overall quality level is about the same. Neither are "luxury liners" for sure but both offer a good, overall cruise for the money. NCL prices can't be beat most of the time. We also like the size of the NCL Spirit. It is very easy to manage. In regards to service and cleaniness, I rate them the same.

Thank you for your comparisons. Very good to see they are not too different. I am also wanting the ports (and dates) that NCL is offering versus Carnival. So much to ponder... Who knows what I will choose... :confused:

I have cruised on each and if I can help it, I will not cruise NCL again. I felt it just didn't compare to Carnival or RCCL. I hated anytime dining----the service and quality just was not there. That's just my opinion but I would choose Carnival or RCCL.

• 3 weeks later...

I loved freestyle dining - and NCL has it down pat (compared to our recent cruise on Princess). I just like being able to dine when I want to & with whom I want to.

I enjoyed the Spirit & I loved Belize. We went cave tubing. FANTASTIC! Check the Belize threads for more info.

I will warn you about cruising during Mardi Gras week. Most of the New Orleans area schools are off either 3 days or all week - so expect lots & lots of kids on the cruises if you go that week. Carnival did nothing to control the kids when we went on a cruise that week in 2007 - and these kids ran up & down the halls and up & down the elevators all day. (our kids were high school & college seniors for this trip).

I am looking forward to RCCL when they come here next year. I, too, like sailing out of N.O. We did not like Ft. Lauderdale since there was nothing to do the night before our cruise.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm 99% sure I've settled on the February 12th Carnival Triumph cruise out of NOLA. It's only 5 days but it's what works with my work schedule (for now). Also, we get to spend Valentine's Day in Mexico. (YAY!) I also found out it is 2 weeks before Mardi Gras and the kiddos aren't out of school yet!! Sounds good to me! :)

You want to cruise out of New Orleans in February 2011 so you would have the choice of the Carnival Triumph or the Norwegian Spirit as the Royal Caribbean Voyage does not get to New Orleans until Fall 2011.

Neither of these ships have a fridge in the cabins. Spirit is the only Norwegian ship without a fridge. If you require one for your medicine they will put one in your room though it will be a little crowded.

The Triumph is larger and holds way more people and is more crowded. You have a harder time getting seats in the buffet, showroom, lounges etc.

Their food and service is about equal. I like the 4 ports the Spirit does instead of just 3 on the Triumph. Neither one does the Cayman Islands in Feb. 2011. They both do Cozumel, Belize and Roatan and Norwegian adds Costa Maya.

Sounds like you have changed your mind about a 7 day cruise and about going to Cozumel and Progresso.

Archived