A Question About Luggage Weight

On the NCL website it says:

"Each person is allowed up to two pieces of personal luggage on board, with each piece weighing a maximum of 50 pounds."

Next month I'll be going on a cruise on Norwegian Jewel leaving from New York, NY. I will not be flying since I live in NJ, so I don't have to worry about airline luggage restricitions.

I've been on cruises before and I'm sure my luggage weighed way past 50 pounds, but it was never a problem. Do they really enforce this 50 pounds limit?

I don't believe anyone has ever been prevented from taking aboard whatever bags they want no matter what they weighed. I don't think I've ever even seen a scale at the pier. I'm convinced that the official policy exists just in case NCL needs to impose it on someone who's trying to bring a ridiculous amount of luggage aboard. I wouldn't worry about the 50-lb limit at all.

P.S. The rule also probably exists in order to save the stevedores from lugging overweight bags.

Archived