Question about steakhouse and being vegan

Katoo

Thanks for that but I think you meant to direct your love to Dan. The reply quotes are messed up on this thread. You have to look at the beginning of the post to see who was actually quoted. The part after "

I'll take it as a "warm fuzzy" in any case!!!

To me is Vegan is a lifestyle choice, not a special diet. A special diet is Kosher, Halal, if you have severe food allergies and lactose, wheat intolerant, low sodium etc. Those can effect your health. But being a vegan or Vegetarian you can eat meat and animal but choose not to. Eating a steak won't kill you. I'm still alive:D

tel you a story, I had a group of friends one was I call a "militant vegan" drives us nuts with lectures of where out food comes from.

Many times we would go to her restaraunt of choice and we didn't go militant how it was cruel to pick the fruits off the tree and wank the poor carrots out of the ground. I was so tempted. Yet she had no problem telling me about how the chickens and cows were treated.

Me: Food comes from the supermarket:D

I had a brother-in-law who was very pushy and obnoxious about his being a vegan. When he would eat with us, his lectures and demands would drive my mom nuts. She solved the problem, though, by cooking food he raved about as being the best vegetarian dishes he had ever had. Little did he know that she was secretly putting bacon fat in everything he ate. :cool:

And Halal...

Those are both LIFESTYLE choices.

But they are religiously-imposed lifestyle choices. If you don't confirm, you are threatened with possible hellfire and damnation for eternity. Somewhat different from merely being a vegetarian or vegan. :)

I had a brother-in-law who was very pushy and obnoxious about his being a vegan. When he would eat with us' date=' his lectures and demands would drive my mom nuts. She solved the problem, though, by cooking food he raved about as being the best vegetarian dishes he had ever had. Little did he know that she was secretly putting bacon fat in everything he ate. :cool:[/quote']

LOL! Sabotage! We all have stories of our vegan friends:D It's almost impossible to be a true vegan......seriously.........most modern day medicines were developed after using animals as research.....are they going to refuse their prescriptions:confused:

LOL! Sabotage! We all have stories of our vegan friends:D It's almost impossible to be a true vegan......seriously.........most modern day medicines were developed after using animals as research.....are they going to refuse their prescriptions:confused:

Most vegans are probably so healthy they don't need prescriptions.

OMG! Hysterical:D

Sadly' date=' many people don't believe diet affects health. Some have know the direct correlation for a long time.

"Let your [b']food[/b] be your medicine and your medicine be your food"

--Hippocrates 460 - 359 BC

The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest her or his patients in the care of the human frame, in a proper diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease.

--Thomas A. Edison

Sadly, many people don't believe diet affects health. Some have know the direct correlation for a long time.

"Let your food be your medicine and your medicine be your food"

--Hippocrates 460 - 359 BC

The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest her or his patients in the care of the human frame, in a proper diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease.

--Thomas A. Edison

Of course diet affects your health....

----5o'clocksomewhere 2010

I have nothing against vegans or any diet choice.. but most vegans have to suppliment their diets from what I heard at least. I could be wrong.

I would rather pop a steak then pop a pill!

Best of luck in your life.. because of course it is yours and not mine!

Iron baby iron..........you know the little pill that vegans have to pop;) which was probably researched on animals at some point lol!

:D Try again.

Iron Status in Vegans

Some might expect that since the vegan diet contains a form of iron that is not that well absorbed' date=' vegans might be prone to developing iron deficiency anemia. However, surveys of vegans have found that iron deficiency anemia is no more common among vegetarians than among the general population although vegans tend to have lower iron stores. [/i']The reason for the satisfactory iron status of many vegans may be that commonly eaten foods are high in iron. For example, you would have to eat more than 1700 calories of sirloin steak to get the same amount of iron as found in 100 calories of spinach.

Another reason for the satisfactory iron status of vegans is that vegan diets are high in vitamin C. Vitamin C acts to markedly increase absorption of non-heme iron. Adding a vitamin C source to a meal increases non-heme iron absorption up to six-fold which makes the absorption of non-heme iron as good or better than that of heme iron.

Well, while y'all duke this all out, I've been assured through email that it's no problem whatsoever, and I have made a reservation request.

LMAO! That's awesome! At least you created a very interesting conversation on the board. I hope you have a lovely anniversary and vegan meal in the STEAKHOUSE!!! :eek::D

Iron Status in Vegans

Some might expect that since the vegan diet contains a form of iron that is not that well absorbed, vegans might be prone to developing iron deficiency anemia. However, surveys of vegans have found that iron deficiency anemia is no more common among vegetarians than among the general population although vegans tend to have lower iron stores. The reason for the satisfactory iron status of many vegans may be that commonly eaten foods are high in iron. For example, you would have to eat more than 1700 calories of sirloin steak to get the same amount of iron as found in 100 calories of spinach.

Another reason for the satisfactory iron status of vegans is that vegan diets are high in vitamin C. Vitamin C acts to markedly increase absorption of non-heme iron. Adding a vitamin C source to a meal increases non-heme iron absorption up to six-fold which makes the absorption of non-heme iron as good or better than that of heme iron.

I eat steak and spinach.....so I have no worries;) I'm covered........

Keep telling your arteries that. :D

Seriously, I eat both too. I love grilled steak and veggies. But a vegan diet is very healthy. I just don't have the discipline for it.

So is eating a health well balanced diet of meat grains and vegtables.....and if ya workout like me......protein builds muscle.....

As I have said before to anyone who really does read the entire thread, this is CC and we regularly beat things to death.

And than kick the body several times to be sure.

This made me LOL!!! Cause it's so true with this thread!

Well, while y'all duke this all out, I've been assured through email that it's no problem whatsoever, and I have made a reservation request.

Woo-Hoo!! Glad to hear that.

I hope you both enjoy your visit to the fullest!! :D

So is eating a health well balanced diet of meat grains and vegtables.....

Actually I agree with someone else who posted earlier. A lot of research points to the fact that different diets work for different body chemistries. But the typical American diet is bad news. Too much junky processed foods that have been chemically engineered to cause people to become addicted to them and overeat. Same as tobacco is highly processed and refined to be more addictive.

But that's another topic. And I agree with you that eating a balanced diet of whole foods (not processed crap) and working out is healthy.

Have a good evening,

Francie

AND before anyone goes there... I'm not telling anyone else how to eat. Just defending the VEGAN and other healthy choices. Everyone chooses how to care for their own body and what to eat, drink or smoke.

Iron Status in Vegans

Some might expect that since the vegan diet contains a form of iron that is not that well absorbed, vegans might be prone to developing iron deficiency anemia. However, surveys of vegans have found that iron deficiency anemia is no more common among vegetarians than among the general population although vegans tend to have lower iron stores. The reason for the satisfactory iron status of many vegans may be that commonly eaten foods are high in iron. For example, you would have to eat more than 1700 calories of sirloin steak to get the same amount of iron as found in 100 calories of spinach.

I was anemic as a meat eater. I have not had this issue since becoming a Vegetarian - and I do not take supplements. My diet is actually healthier as a vegetarian because I eat a broad range of whole grains, beans/lentils, fruits and vegetables. I try to eat a "Rainbow" every day to make sure I am getting in all of my nutrients. It's not for everyone, but it works for me.

Archived