Question about steakhouse and being vegan

Katoo

My post that you quoted was referring to her going to the steakhouse and having them accommodate her off the menu.......which is what she said in her very first post. It would be no different then me going to a vegan restaurant and asking for something off the menu....like steak;) Which would be really silly:p

Now she is saying that she would just ask to see if she can have the veggies' date=' salad and potatoes cooked differently;) Which is completely different .......people do this all the time........

That being said......I think her hubby is starving for a great steak:D[/quote']

Isn't cooking something differently (butter v. vegetable oil) off menu? They don't carry steak at a vegan restaurant but they do carry vegetables, grains, etc at the steak restaurant. So how is that similar? I highly doubt the OP was expecting the chef order special ingredients and separate pots and pans to make her meal...but then again I heard of people demanding strange things on their cruises ;)

There is a difference in going to a restaurant that is a steak house or specifically for vegans and being on a cruise ship, where all kinds of food are readily available.

You can't compare the two.

If you were talking about the MDR I would agree with you.....or the lido or the grill.......but not the steakhouse or the chefs table......

And this is exactly what she posted:

So, while I have studied mdr menus and figured out my options, I looked at the steakhouse menu and it doesn't look like it would be worth the $30 for the very little I'd be able to eat, though husband looks like he'd be okay.

I guess I was just wondering if the chef ever goes off menu to accommodate a vegan?

Could you imagine if people just started going to the Steakhouse and asking for whatever they wanted that was not on the menu:confused:

Of course we know on a cruise ship they will bend over backwards for you that is not the point......why must we break their backs:rolleyes:

Isn't cooking something differently (butter v. vegetable oil) off menu? They don't carry steak at a vegan restaurant but they do carry vegetables, grains, etc at the steak restaurant. So how is that similar? I highly doubt the OP was expecting the chef order special ingredients and separate pots and pans to make her meal...but then again I heard of people demanding strange things on their cruises ;)

Nope......

I look at this board every once in a while for the entertainment value. I like to see how long it takes for a legitimate question to be blasted by a bunch of nasty responses. I was betting about 3 on this one and I wasn't far off.

Anyway, if I were vegan and my wife wanted to go to the steakhouse for a special occasion, I would gladly do it. We both do things for one another because we love each other. Besides, I've had baked potatoes with a little olive oil, chives, and pepper and they were just fine. If I were dining alone, I would not spend $30 for a vegan dinner in a steakhouse but I would certainly spend $30 to do something a little special for my wife.

j

Katoo,

As I sat here and read your first post I was thinking.... how sweet to do this for her honey and they should be able to accomodate you.

Then I started to read some of the nasty responses from folks who did not get the gist of what your question was. I am sure that they will accomdate your request for veggie dishes cooked without butter, etc. Should not be all that difficult.

There are also some fabulous Indian dishes on board if you inquire the night before that may suit you as well. Those are not usually on the menu - but ask your waiter - many were vegan and were great!

Here's hoping there are no more flames and that you have a fantastic cruise and very special occasion!

Could you imagine if people just started going to the Steakhouse and asking for whatever they wanted that was not on the menu:confused:

Of course we know on a cruise ship they will bend over backwards for you that is not the point......why must we break their backs:rolleyes:

First of all, I seriously doubt that there will be a sudden turn, and all us omnivores are going to suddenly change and storm the steak house with vegan requests.

BUT...that is neither here nor there anyway. It doesn't matter if you think it's annoying that she is making a special request, it only matters if the chef on the ship does.

The only way she will know is if she asks.

If it is a big deal, I am sure they will politely tell her that her needs can't be met and I am sure she will understand.

First of all, I seriously doubt that there will be a sudden turn, and all us omnivores are going to suddenly change and storm the steak house with vegan requests.

BUT...that is neither here nor there anyway. It doesn't matter if you think it's annoying that she is making a special request, it only matters if the chef on the ship does.

If it is a big deal, I am sure they will politely tell her that her needs can't be met and I am sure she will understand.

I seldom disagree with you, however,,,,,,,

The chef may hate the request.

The chef may KNOW the request will impede service to his normal carnivores.

The chef may have to make many exceptions for the request.

BUT THE CHEF WILL FULFILL THE REQUEST.

And IMNSHO, it is WRONG to impose oneself on the chef and OTHER GUESTS for ones own ideological beliefs.

Exactly. The Chef will fulfil the request because he doesn't care that some people feel it's wrong for the vegan to make the request. He'll simply do it if it's possible. In the end most will be happy and a few tongues will wag in disgust like usual.

I don't think it is annoying at all......just rude......JMHO

And no it doesn't matter if I think it is rude either.....

I don't see it as a special request.....more like......you don't have anything on the menu that I want to eat can you make me something I want......

A special request is asking them to deliver a anniversary cake to your table.....

And no matter how the chef feels.......it is his job to put up with all walks of life;)

And no matter how the chef feels.......it is his job to put up with all walks of life;)

Exactly, from the kindest and most gracious to the most argumentative and demanding, the Chef has to deal with all of them unfortunately. :rolleyes:

So a thoughtful and considerate vegan like the OP who makes a special request for her anniversary will be a piece of cake for the Chef to deal with.

making someone work harder because of my lifestyle choices i don't think is fair and saying its a special occasion is no excuse. kinda reminds me of the people who want happy birthday sung to them in the mdr and its not their birthday.

Exactly, from the kindest and most gracious to the most argumentative and demanding, the Chef has to deal with all of them unfortunately. :rolleyes:

So a thoughtful and considerate vegan like the OP who makes a special request for her anniversary will be a piece of cake for the Chef to deal with.

You are kidding right:confused:

The OP said VEGAN. That means NOTHING from any animal of any kind. Includes not wearing fur and leather or any product from an animal. Way past vegetarian.

This is not necessarily true. One of my co-workers ate a vegan DIET for several years for weight loss purposes mostly. That co-worker lost A LOT of weight, but still wore leather shoes and used porcine insuline for a while when overweight and diabetic.

I don't think it is annoying at all......just rude......JMHO

And no it doesn't matter if I think it is rude either.....

I don't see it as a special request.....more like......you don't have anything on the menu that I want to eat can you make me something I want......

A special request is asking them to deliver a anniversary cake to your table.....

It is not rude to make a request of grains and/or fresh vegetables to be cooked/served in oil rather than butter in a restaurant that normally serves grains and fresh vegetables as side dishes among meat. It would, however, be rude to knowingly go to a vegan restaurant and ask if they could accomodate you with a steak. I work in a restaurant that routinely GLADLY accomodates vegetarians, vegans, gluten free.........whatever. If we can do it, we will. If we can't, we honestly explain that it is not possible without judgement. We cook our food to order. Both oil and butter are on the cook line within easy reach. What is the difference reaching for the oil rather than butter to saute fresh veggies? One could easily serve this over steamed rice or pasta. What could be easier.

Okay, okay. I got it.

Some of you think it's ridiculous to even contemplate going to a steakhouse.

Some of you think it doesn't hurt to ask, but that I should do it in advance, before committing to go (which is what I plan to do, and what i always do).

Some of you think it's rude.

Some of you think it's not only rude, but that it will ruin the poor put-upon chef's evening, and not only that, but that it will ruin other customer's evening, because chef will be distracted and upset by such an outrageous request, he will be put off his meat-cooking game.

Let's consider my question answered and move on, shall we? Unless, of course, you have personal experience with this situation and have something of value to add.

Okay, okay. I got it.

Some of you think it's ridiculous to even contemplate going to a steakhouse.

Some of you think it doesn't hurt to ask, but that I should do it in advance, before committing to go (which is what I plan to do, and what i always do).

Some of you think it's rude.

Some of you think it's not only rude, but that it will ruin the poor put-upon chef's evening, and not only that, but that it will ruin other customer's evening, because chef will be distracted and upset by such an outrageous request, he will be put off his meat-cooking game.

Let's consider my question answered and move on, shall we? Unless, of course, you have personal experience with this situation and have something of value to add.

When you return from your cruise would you come back and let us know what the Chef came up with? Hope you have a nice cruise and anniversary.

Francie

I think I'll start a poll on this thread as to "who has helped answer the OP's question"........:rolleyes:

I tried....did you.....;)

Yes, you did. I applaud you :)

I did as well...I told her to ask the right person...not us.

I am amazed at some of you..it is obvious to see who cooks and who doesn't. Changing a few ingredients here and there is NOT difficult. I have cooked for a family that has different tastes for years. Every night I cook different things. It's NOT that big a deal.

When you are a professional chef it is even LESS a big deal.

Yes, you did. I applaud you :)

I did as well...I told her to ask the right person...not us.

I am amazed at some of you..it is obvious to see who cooks and who doesn't. Changing a few ingredients here and there is NOT difficult. I have cooked for a family that has different tastes for years. Every night I cook different things. It's NOT that big a deal.

When you are a professional chef it is even LESS a big deal.

Thank you and back atchya.....

I love to cook and it is very easy. I would think a chef in the Steakhouse would like a change of pace to have a little fun from the same-old same-old every night for their nine month contract.....

I guess some people have a rough time comprehending what the OP said in the begining. It is their anniversary and it really doesn't matter if she just has a salad, some sides and maybe some fruit at the end of the meal...

All she wants is to make their anniversary memerable for her husband...

We should all have spouses like this.....;)

Katoo:

You are a great sport for putting up with all of the responses to a perfectly fine question. I bet you did not anticipate the amount of responses that you received from your question. I trust that you were able to sift through these responses to get the answer that you seek. My suggestion is that when you get on board go directly to that steak house find the person in charge and ask them. That would be the wisest way to handle it.

Thank you and back atchya.....

I love to cook and it is very easy. I would think a chef in the Steakhouse would like a change of pace to have a little fun from the same-old same-old every night for their nine month contract.....

I guess some people have a rough time comprehending what the OP said in the begining. It is their anniversary and it really doesn't matter if she just has a salad, some sides and maybe some fruit at the end of the meal...

All she wants is to make their anniversary memerable for her husband...

We should all have spouses like this.....;)

I agree!!

Creating a meal is 90% prep.

The ingredients for any vegetarian or vegan meals are already available on the ship...they are already prepped. The only difference is they are being cooked (which takes NO time) in the steakhouse kitchen.

I imagine most chef's who are passionate about cooking, would love a break from the monotony :)

As for prep work...ask any person (usually wife but that may not be the case for you jessemon) who preps for a BBQ... slices, trims, tenderizes, seasons and marinates the meat to perfection and makes all the side dishes how they feel when the person on the grill (who just tosses the stuff on while enjoying a beer) gets all the kudos for a job well done!! LOL!!

Archived