Question about steakhouse and being vegan

Katoo

Yes....vegan is no meat, dairy or eggs. No animal products whatsoever. Many vegans also avoid down, leather, fur, wool, and, of course, products tested on animals.

What about plastic buttons and ink pens with plastic cases? These are both made from the casein from cow's milk.

Hey..sometimes I want ketchup on my PRIME beef..no steak sauce..Ketchup..since I survived a cattle ranch...people can not give me the business about it!!!

This is all nuts...happy vegans happy carnivores happy vegetarians must co -exist.....smiles. sjn911

Seems VEGAN is the hot button issue. I've never seen such an uproar over someone asking for a special item being served that was off the menu for a special occasion like a special dessert. I can't understand the difference. If the ingredients are in the kitchen, why such a fuss over assembling them in a different way?

Because they have nothing better to do than go around looking for hot button topics or turning a simple question into hot button topics....;)

It seems now when I cruise I swell up really bad. It only happens on cruises. I took an 8 day land vacation to Mexico...same heat, same amount of alcohol consumed and didn't swell at all. This leads me to believe that the food on the ship is what makes me swell up ....SO I have requested low sodium for both my upcoming cruises.

It is my choice. The swelling poses no health risk but I am going to ask for special treatment because I choose to not look like Violet from the Willy Wonka movie. This is no less a nuisance than what the OP is asking.

Ugh, I have the same issue...it's horrible to look at and uncomfortable. I'm going to ask my dr for some sort of water pill in addition to watching the sodium intake!

WTH? The woman is a VEGAN - she does not have to give you a reason why, nor should she be expected to "lighten up and enjoy a steak"!

On a personal note, I'm a vegetarian who is looking forward to the OP reporting back. Also, I have not eaten at the Steak House, however, I have visited many fine dining establishments for special occasions. I have always been accomodated when I call and let them know about my requests well in advance. If they know you are coming and have time to prepare, I really don't see how it is an inconvience for the chef. Part of working in a kitchen is dealing with all sorts of requests and complaints - that I know from working in a restaurant.

As long as Gordon Ramsey isn't in the kitchen:D

It seems now when I cruise I swell up really bad. It only happens on cruises. I took an 8 day land vacation to Mexico...same heat, same amount of alcohol consumed and didn't swell at all. This leads me to believe that the food on the ship is what makes me swell up ....SO I have requested low sodium for both my upcoming cruises.

That could be because of all of the salt that is used to cook.

My niece was a vegan and the only thing that came out of it is it made her a thin kooky whiny person. Now she eats meat and is so much nicer. Before she argued about everything and anything.

Yeah, I've noticed how whiny I've been where everyone else has been so nice in this thread.

It looks like Mach is going to try to help the OP out.

I am a ova-lacto vegetarian (not Vegan) and I ate at the steakhouse on the Valor. Sure some people found it odd that I would want to pay that much for something very similar to what I could eat in the MDR, but it was all about the atmosphere. It was for my wife's 31st birthday, and it was one of our most enjoyable meals ever... especially since it was at sea.

So go for it Katoo.. and let us know how it turns out!

Just so you're aware...even though being vegan is definitely a choice, once you have eaten vegan long enough, medically, you can't just go eat meat.

I once went off red meat for two years...just to see if it would improve my health (which it did NOT by the way). One day (on the 4th of July to be exact) I said, 'screw it I want a burger!'

:eek:

Holy *moly*

No good..no good.

I was sick for two solid weeks.

It is my choice. The swelling poses no health risk but I am going to ask for special treatment because I choose to not look like Violet from the Willy Wonka movie. This is no less a nuisance than what the OP is asking.

Dan, it seriously doesn't matter what you, or I or anyone else thinks about this. It is the decision of the chef on the ship. It is no less a nuisance to eliminate butter from a dish than it is to eliminate salt or the MSG or whatever the heck it is they use. The OP can eat all the side dishes, have them prepared vegan and just have no meat on the plate. It is not a big deal.

Anyone who seriously cooks knows this isn't a big deal.

(as a side note...what I find offensive is a person going to the steakhouse and ordering their meat well done :eek:

talk about awful! :p and I would BET a cruise, that any chef would find THAT a disgrace ;) )

Avoid drinking the ships water. The only place my ankles swell is on a cruise and only when i drink the ship's water. As long as i bring my bottled water, no swelling.

)

That could be because of all of the salt that is used to cook.

LOL...I think I understand that :)

Avoid drinking the ships water. The only place my ankles swell is on a cruise and only when i drink the ship's water. As long as i bring my bottled water, no swelling.

I usually order a bottle of sparkling water (Perrier) at dinner...and drink the bottled still water during the day. I never drink the ship's water.

I don't drink my own tap water at home either, unfortunately because it's no good.....

It's definitely something in the food. I never believed it was salt because the food doesn't taste salty to me (and I really dislike salty food)...so whether it's salt, or msg, or some kind of preservative I don't know. But I'm going to try the low sodium and see if that helps.

Hey..sometimes I want ketchup on my PRIME beef..

See, Now I wouldn't want to cook for you....:p

I don't like whenm people sit down at my table and pick up the salt shaker and liberally douse their food with it before even tasting it too.

Cookinng a vegan meal would be lovely...watching people destroy my 'creation' would make me insane :D ;)

LOL...I think I understand that :)

I usually order a bottle of sparkling water (Perrier) at dinner...and drink the bottled still water during the day. I never drink the ship's water.

I don't drink my own tap water at home either, unfortunately because it's no good.....

It's definitely something in the food. I never believed it was salt because the food doesn't taste salty to me (and I really dislike salty food)...so whether it's salt, or msg, or some kind of preservative I don't know. But I'm going to try the low sodium and see if that helps.

I don't like whenm people sit down at my table and pick up the salt shaker and liberally douse their food with it before even tasting it too.

Cookinng a vegan meal would be lovely...watching people destroy my 'creation' would make me insane :D ;)

I can understand swelling due to heavy salt in the food on a cruise but what would drinking ship's water have to do with it?

I can understand swelling due to heavy salt in the food on a cruise but what would drinking ship's water have to do with it?

The procedure they use to desalinize the water may not remove all the salt :confused:(possibly??) I don't know....(I'll have to ask someone I know who knows about this stuff....) Like I said, I drink bottled anyway. I'm not questioning the water. I don't drink it (especially on CCL ships) because I can 'taste' that sewage smell in the tap water on occasion so I can't even get the glass up to my face without wanting to hurl

(I know...tmi :o)

The procedure they use to desalinize the water may not remove all the salt :confused:(possibly??) I don't know....(I'll have to ask someone I know who knows about this stuff....) Like I said, I drink bottled anyway. I'm not questioning the water. I don't drink it (especially on CCL ships) because I can 'taste' that sewage smell in the tap water on occasion so I can't even get the glass up to my face without wanting to hurl

(I know...tmi :o)

Interesting how we "taste" differently. We think the ship's water is very good and bottled is unnecessary.

Katoo... I'm going to need some information from you so we can take care of this.

Email me, please...

:)

Hey, sorry, just sent email. I typed the email address incorrectly last night. I didn't get a non-delivery notice so I reckon someone, somewhere got an email that makes no sense.

I don't like when people sit down at my table and pick up the salt shaker and liberally douse their food with it before even tasting it too.

We are a terrible ketchup family..grandad gave it up cold turkey after a heart attack..salt etc.

I'm pretty nice at someone's house:p.

For Halos...Happy Friday

Interesting how we "taste" differently. We think the ship's water is very good and bottled is unnecessary.

usually I do too..it's just my past 3 CCL cruises have had that sewage odor very bad, and when that is bad, so is the water. Even the iced tea on my Fantasy cruise (when it was first out of dry dock) was sewag-y smelling/tasting.

GROSS!

I just drink bottled now to be safe....I feel more comfortable with it

I'm pretty nice at someone's house.

For Halos...Happy Friday

I'm sure you are :) ..but after grilling you a beautiful steak, I would near faint when I watch you pour Heinz all over it. :D

usually I do too..it's just my past 3 CCL cruises have had that sewage odor very bad, and when that is bad, so is the water. Even the iced tea on my Fantasy cruise (when it was first out of dry dock) was sewag-y smelling/tasting.

GROSS!

I'm sure you are :) ..but after grilling you a beautiful steak, I would near faint when I watch you pour Heinz all over it. :D

Would it be better if it was well done or shoe leather and put catsup on it?icon7.gif

My husband used to do that with A1. He would drown my beautifully seasoned steak with it before taking a bite. Finally I convinced him to "try" the steak first and now he adds nothing to it. He also used to be a salt adder before he even tasted the food. Now he only occasionally adds salt. Some people don't really taste food, they just shovel it in!

GROSS!

Would it be better if it was well done or shoe leather and put catsup on it?icon7.gif

No 1..has to be Heinz:p.

You both got it right..we really ended up with way more hamburger on the ranch than anything else...avbx herd maintenance..and probably goes back generations.that we put ketchup on the burgers..and that trickled down to red meat...really a beautiful perfect between medium and medium rare butterfly tenderloin...I can leave it off...half of it:o:p.

Archived