Question about steakhouse and being vegan

Katoo

Again you'll never get the point.It's the principle. Don't go to a restaurant that you know serves food that you choose not to eat and then ask people to go out of their way to make you something special.

For example I HATE tomatoes. I can't stand them. If I go to a restaurant with friends I can either eat something without tomatoes or eat them and deal. I don't think it's ok to ask the chief to make something that isn't on the menu just for me and to go so far as to ask them to use pans and cookware that has no tomatoes on it.

But her non-MDR options on a cruise ship are limited! On land, of course she wouldn't spend her anniversary in a steakhouse.

My husband has a friend who was in charge of the food for one of the Ritz Carlton regions and when we went on vacation one year for our anniversary he told us he would have a special treat for us. He made the arrangements and we just showed up. The Chef created an entire special menu for us. It happens. Probably more than anyone realizes.

People don't GET that chefs enjoy cooking.

Like I said, you can tell who cooks here and who toses prepared food in the microwave.....What seems like a lot of work to some, is NOT in reality, to someone who's job is like an art.

Not really the same thing. The reason that most cruisers (who would probably love to have specially-prepared special desserts made for them because they themselves are so special) don't order off the menu is out of consideration for the chef and kitchen staff who are working against very tight deadlines. To be diverted from that mission for any reason has the potential to disrupt the entire process.

I see nothing at all wrong with asking the chef which menu items might meet the OP's stringent requirements. I think what a lot of people are concerned about is that they don't think she should demand that the chef be required to cook separate food especially for her.

Perhaps there has been some misunderstanding of her concerns and intents?

Exactly! Alot of people are missing the point.....but then again nothing new.......

Oh and please people! Take a moment and learn how to quote correctly:D

Why is this any different from the special requests one makes to their cabin steward???????

Filling your ice bucket daily, emptying your frig, getting you extra towels, new pillows, a foam mattress topper...I have seen these things were requested by folks on these boards all the time. No one worries about the cabin stewards working extra and taking more time with individuals, yet the chef preparing something slightly different has people insane.

I don't get it....

IT's NOT a big deal to the chef. The guy is not a short order cook....Cooking for him is an art and is probably his passion, and whipping up a few meals with no meat is something that he won't even have to think twice about.

I was a front of the hosue manager for a high end restaurant for a few years, our chef actually liked getting special vegan requests, as it let him be a little more creative and have fun with the dish and not have to stick to a menu item he had made 100 times already that week.

Exactly! Alot of people are missing the point.....but then again nothing new.......

Oh and please people! Take a moment and learn how to quote correctly:D

We are quoting correctly, it's just being all funny. I'm quoting as I've always done, but it's putting the wrong name up.

Of course it worked for me this time. Go figure.

My husband has a friend who was in charge of the food for one of the Ritz Carlton regions and when we went on vacation one year for our anniversary he told us he would have a special treat for us. He made the arrangements and we just showed up. The Chef created an entire special menu for us. It happens. Probably more than anyone realizes.

You were the chef's friends. That made you extremely "special".

My middle son was an executive chef on Hilton Head Island for about 15 years. Any time I went to his restaurant, I had entire special meals created just to please me. I was "special".

But being one of 3,000 or more passengers on a cruise ship does not automatically make one "special". :D

But her non-MDR options on a cruise ship are limited! On land, of course she wouldn't spend her anniversary in a steakhouse.

Which is something you deal with when picking a cruise. You know that there might not be a restaurant that suits your eat requirements.

Didn't properly use quotes as they are not working.

People don't GET that chefs enjoy cooking.

Like I said, you can tell who cooks here and who toses prepared food in the microwave.....What seems like a lot of work to some, is NOT in reality, to someone who's job is like an art.

Why do you keep assuming this:confused: This has nothing to do with anything..........

I love to cook.......and I cook all the time.....

You were the chef's friends. That made you extremely "special".

My middle son was an executive chef on Hilton Head Island for about 15 years. Any time I went to his restaurant' date=' I had entire special meals created just to please me. I was "special".

But being one of 3,000 or more passengers on a cruise ship does not automatically make one "special". :D[/quote']

It messed up my quote, too, and had me quoting myself, which I didn't do. :)

We are quoting correctly, it's just being all funny. I'm quoting as I've always done, but it's putting the wrong name up.

Of course it worked for me this time. Go figure.

The screwed up posts have something like this at the beginning of the post:

The 'quotersnames' is the correct name of the quoter. So look in the bracket at the beginning of the messed up posts to see who actually is being quoted. Kind of funny because one of my supposed quotes says I hate tomatoes which is definitely not true. I have an entire garden just outside my kitchen with more than 20 varieties growing. :)

I was a front of the hosue manager for a high end restaurant for a few years, our chef actually liked getting special vegan requests, as it let him be a little more creative and have fun with the dish and not have to stick to a menu item he had made 100 times already that week.

That's much easier to do when you're not responsible for 3,000 meals each evening, with another full seating coming in at a designated time where everyone from the previous seating has finished eating and has left the dining room.

It looks like it's fixed now but the screwed up posts have something like this at the beginning of the post:

The quotersnames is the correct name of the quoter. So look in the bracket on the messed up posts to see who actually is being quoted. Kind of funny because one of my supposed quotes says I hate tomatoes which is definitely not true. I have an entire garden just outside my kitchen with more than 20 varieties growing. :)

In order to fix it you need to edit your quotes yourself......quoting 101:D

It was never broken someone just messed it up.......

In order to fix it you need to edit your quotes yourself......quoting 101:D

It was never broken someone just messed it up.......

Right, I edited my code myself wherever I quote someone. But some don't know how to edit code or didn't notice the need to. But you already knew that, didn't you? :D

Well, while y'all duke this all out, I've been assured through email that it's no problem whatsoever, and I have made a reservation request.

Good, glad to hear it! Have a great time.

It's hard to see someone rolling their eyes in an e-mail. :D:D:D

Or it could be that there are decent people left in this world that like to give people the benefit of the doubt and help them have the best experience possible. That's what I choose to believe. Now, had OP been demanding and rude, I don't think anyone should have gone out of their way to help. But that wasn't the case.

Well, while y'all duke this all out, I've been assured through email that it's no problem whatsoever, and I have made a reservation request.

Congrats! I figured it wouldn't be a problem. Any good restaurant is used to special requests and will do what they can to accommodate them.

Of course there are those that won't believe you.

Congrats! I figured it wouldn't be a problem. Any good restaurant is used to special requests and will do what they can to accommodate them.

Thanks, and thanks for hanging with me.

I'm happy for you. Now that you have an answer, I'm finished the debate because it's futile.

I am in the mood for a huge portabello mushroom though......

Archived