How Hard is it to Snorkel?

I'm thinking of trying this on our upcoming cruise. I'm pregnant so there aren't many excursions I can try. Do you think I will have a problem with this.

I was 23-24 weeks almost 6 years ago and we snorkeled (deep water, off of a boat) in St. Thomas. I did fine, and the baby really seemed to enjoy it -- she happily kicked and seemed to like the floating sensation. I was in good shape, and she was my 4th baby.

When I first tried it I could not keep the water out of the mask. The guide told me to tighten it up as tight as I possibly could and then breath in with my nose. Once I did that it formed a seal and it was easy from that point on. I practiced mouth breathing at home before we went and that helped alot too.

I love to snorkel and snorkel whenever I get an opportunity. I am overweight by more than 50 pounds, have not had a problem snorkeling. I have not swam for years. I would get a cheap set and get use to it in a pool. Once you get the breathing down, you will have lots of fun. Try it. You will love it.

as long as you can swim and breath at the same time you can do it.

One thing to remember is if the top of the snorkel goes under water - blow out real hard before trying to take a breath, you want to fill your lungs up with air not water. :eek:

Hi,

I'd recommend buying a snorkel and mask at a sporting goods store. A nice one is $30 at Sports Authority and practice in a pool or even the tub. Kids and Adults need different size masks so you may want to get one in both sizes. I also bring a sport style PFD. It's much more comfortable than the orange type and I know mine is clean.

With regard to Chakanaab specifically, it is a great place to snorkel for anyone who has never done it! The people you get the equipment from can also be your guide and teach you whatever you need to know. I took a young lady with Autism, MR and a movement disorder there last year. The guide who came with us said no charge, just whatever we felt was an appropriate tip at the end. He stayed in the water with us for over an hour, talked about what we were seeing and the ecology of the park. She is a great swimmer, but had never snorkeled before. He was so patient with her and made the experience FANTASTIC! Since she was so nervous to put her face in the water, he would dive down and bring up shells and creatures for her to see close up so that she wouldn't miss anything. I cannot recommend them enough!

Archived