Grenada snorkeling

cindyjay

Take a pass. Snorkeling is limited because of limited reef system. But it is a lush above the water island so a land tour beyond the main towns would be worthwhile.

Ditto that! I snorkel nearly every Caribean port, but skipped Grenada.

Did a ship's land tour instead: "Highlights And Scenic Drive". It was quite pleasant.

Here's a popular independent:

http://www.grenadatours.com/tours.htm

Check the Ports Of call board.

Happy Sailing.

• 2 weeks later...

There acyually is some good snorkeling in Grenada.We previously took a half day snorkel trip with Native Spirit Scuba ,and are booked again-on an upcoming nov 1 cruise on the Millenium. You go to two or thre spots ,the snorkeling is great,the crew friendly and helpful. Karen

• 2 weeks later...
There acyually is some good snorkeling in Grenada.We previously took a half day snorkel trip with Native Spirit Scuba ,and are booked again-on an upcoming nov 1 cruise on the Millenium. You go to two or thre spots ,the snorkeling is great,the crew friendly and helpful. Karen

From my understanding, you cannot access any decent snorkeling from the shore, so it would be difficult to do it on your own.

We have heard great things about Native Spirit and are booked with them in December. I enjoy seeing any kind of marine life and snorkeling is a very peaceful activity for me. So there has to be murky water or just plain sand for me to hate a snorkeling experience, but I have certainly enjoyed some spots more than others! :D

Any thing you do on Grenada is GREAT! It is a wonderful island with wonderful people. The snorkeling off grand anse beach is decent if you head all the way down the beach to the left. Also if you continue on climb over the point at the end of the beach and the snorkeling in the next cove is OK. I wouldn't pay for a boat trip here. spend more time in town or in the mountains. There is a great open stall marketplace in the middle of town that is much better than the stands around the harbor.

• 2 weeks later...

We found a nice beach to snorkel beyond Grand Anse beach. The water taxi people all know of it. They will drop people off for Grand Anse beach and then continue on to this one. You'll pay approx. $4 more for this beach and they will set a time to pick you up. As you enter the cove, the area to snorkel is on the right side of the cove.....left side when you are on the beach looking out to sea. You have to swim out a bit along the rocks before it gets really good. There were no currents to be concerned with unless you ventured way out of the cove. Very few people go to this wonderful, quiet beach with trees for shade. There is a spot for food and beverages.

• 2 weeks later...
We found a nice beach to snorkel beyond Grand Anse beach. The water taxi people all know of it. They will drop people off for Grand Anse beach and then continue on to this one. You'll pay approx. $4 more for this beach and they will set a time to pick you up. As you enter the cove, the area to snorkel is on the right side of the cove.....left side when you are on the beach looking out to sea. You have to swim out a bit along the rocks before it gets really good. There were no currents to be concerned with unless you ventured way out of the cove. Very few people go to this wonderful, quiet beach with trees for shade. There is a spot for food and beverages.

Do you know what this beach is called? Is it Mourne Rouge?

Thanks

If you want something a little different, you might check out the Underwater Sculpture Garden. It is located in Moliniere Bay. We dove the site, but it is an easy snorkle with most of the statues no deeper than 15 ft. You do have to get there by boat, so you would have to arrange it. We used Dive Grenada last November & they also do snorkle trips there.. They will pick you up at the dock & return you. We also asked the driver that picked us up if he knew of anyone that could give us a tour of the island, and he was able to do it. Picked us up after the dive and gave us a great tour....it was the highlite of our cruise, The gentleman's name was Garfield, so if you do arrange the trip, ask if they can arrange to have him pick you up. This is the link to Dive Grenada:

http://www.divegrenada.com/index.htm

Also, there are pics of the Sculpture Garden in the Royal Clipper album in our gallery link below.

Mike

If you want something a little different, you might check out the Underwater Sculpture Garden. It is located in Moliniere Bay. We dove the site, but it is an easy snorkle with most of the statues no deeper than 15 ft. You do have to get there by boat, so you would have to arrange it. We used Dive Grenada last November & they also do snorkle trips there.. They will pick you up at the dock & return you. We also asked the driver that picked us up if he knew of anyone that could give us a tour of the island, and he was able to do it. Picked us up after the dive and gave us a great tour....it was the highlite of our cruise, The gentleman's name was Garfield, so if you do arrange the trip, ask if they can arrange to have him pick you up. This is the link to Dive Grenada:

http://www.divegrenada.com/index.htm

Also, there are pics of the Sculpture Garden in the Royal Clipper album in our gallery link below.

Mike

We found the underwater sculpture garden to be incredibly boring & a waste of time. The tour guide in the water w/us was ridiculous, making sure every single one of us saw each and every sculpture, didn't even look in a different direction - just kind of a jerk. HOWEVER - the Shadowfax Champagne & Lobster tour in Grenada is worth it for the fun boat ride as well as the AMAZING FRESH CARIBBEAN LOBSTER. They grilled it for us on an island, and it was incredible. Haven't had lobster since, and I am not sure I will ever be able to eat it again! (Also, there was a female tour guide on the boat who was amazing - answered lots of questions, friendly, very accommodating, sweet)

• 3 weeks later...
Do you know what this beach is called? Is it Mourne Rouge?

Thanks

I've been away and just returned.....now catching up and checking mail. When I get some extra time, I'll look through my pictures and post the name of the beach. I know I took a picture of the sign with the name of the area.

Do you recall the spots where Native Spirit Scuba took you to snorkel? Did you snorkel off a boat or swim out from shore? Did they take you to the underwater sculpture park? That is definitely not a spot I am interested in.... too artifical for my liking.

Archived