Carnival Paradise: Need help deciding

izmeeh

I'm looking into a 4-day cruise in Feb 2011 (2-21 to 2-25) to Mexico from Los Angeles. I've been reading about the cabins in Rivera vs. Empress and am now as confused as can be about what to do. This is the first time cruising for all of us, so please excuse any obvious questions.

If I book using the 1-2-3 Go! promotion, I will get $80 OBC and free upgrade (?) for $833.09 for 3 people (my mom, me and my brother). This way, I will get an Empress room. Category: 4A

If I book using the Early Saver rate at $723.09 for 3 people, I will get an Rivera room. Category: 4A

My brother wants to go on this cruise but isn't sure until he registers for class in November 2010. If I go with the Early Saver rate, can I buy travel protection for him only ($25)?

Things I like about the 1-2-3 Go! promotion: can cancel 60+ days prior to the cruise, $80 OBC, and whatever possible room upgrade in that category.

Things I like about the Early Saver: lower rate and the price protection guarantee. How likely is it for the price to go lower on this trip?

With 2 people and the Early Saver rate, I can get a lower rate $214/person instead of $224. Category: 1A Can I add an extra person later and pay the difference?

What is my best option? Thanks.

I'm looking into a 4-day cruise in Feb 2011 (2-21 to 2-25) to Mexico from Los Angeles. I've been reading about the cabins in Rivera vs. Empress and am now as confused as can be about what to do. This is the first time cruising for all of us, so please excuse any obvious questions.

If I book using the 1-2-3 Go! promotion, I will get $80 OBC and free upgrade (?) for $833.09 for 3 people (my mom, me and my brother). This way, I will get an Empress room. Category: 4A

If I book using the Early Saver rate at $723.09 for 3 people, I will get an Rivera room. Category: 4A

My brother wants to go on this cruise but isn't sure until he registers for class in November 2010. If I go with the Early Saver rate, can I buy travel protection for him only ($25)?

Things I like about the 1-2-3 Go! promotion: can cancel 60+ days prior to the cruise, $80 OBC, and whatever possible room upgrade in that category.

Things I like about the Early Saver: lower rate and the price protection guarantee. How likely is it for the price to go lower on this trip?

With 2 people and the Early Saver rate, I can get a lower rate $214/person instead of $224. Category: 1A Can I add an extra person later and pay the difference?

If you are at all unsure about any of the passengers - do not book early saver. Even with all the other rates, if prices go down prior to final payment cut off date, you can still get the better price.

You can add another person to the booking later & pay the difference.

I agree with PP. If there is any doubt, pay the extra amount to have the ability to cancel.

However, I don't know about the ability to get price drops on non ES rates though. I thought price drops were limited to ES pricing but could be wrong. :confused:

If you are at all unsure about any of the passengers - do not book early saver. Even with all the other rates, if prices go down prior to final payment cut off date, you can still get the better price.

You can add another person to the booking later & pay the difference.

You are super fast! How do I get the better price if the prices go down prior to final payment cut off date? Is there a form to fill out or just call them?

You are super fast! How do I get the better price if the prices go down prior to final payment cut off date? Is there a form to fill out or just call them?

Just call... if necessary, you just cancel & rebook. Prior to final payment, there is no penalty to cancel.

I agree with PP. If there is any doubt, pay the extra amount to have the ability to cancel.

However, I don't know about the ability to get price drops on non ES rates though. I thought price drops were limited to ES pricing but could be wrong. :confused:

Price drops AFTER final are limited to ES... before final, they are available to anyone because there is no penalty to cancel & rebook on the other rate types.

If you do non-ES, you can get price drops up until final payment. :)

Price drops AFTER final are limited to ES... before final, they are available to anyone because there is no penalty to cancel & rebook on the other rate types.

The 1-2-3 Go! promotion is only valid until the end of July. Does that mean I will miss out on the $80 OBC if I cancel and rebook?

I can help you with the cabin part of your question. I have been on the Paradise many times and the Empress deck is not an upgrade in my opinion. I would book a cabin on the Main or the Upper deck if you are given the choice. The Empress deck is under a public deck with the galley, piano bar, the lounge, which can be very noisy. If you do end up on the Empress deck stay away from these areas!:)

As far as price drops, this ship does tend to clearance their fares toward the sailing date. The 4 day sailings more so then the 3 day if there are cabins available.

Don't look into booking an 1A unless someone wants to sleep in a bunk! They have bunkbeds in those rooms.

The bargain cabins on that ship are the portholes that are sold for the same price of a 4A. They are in the front of the ship but you will have natural light and they are cheap. Just stay away from the Empress deck with these ones because they are right under the showroom!

Have a great first cruise!:)

I can help you with the cabin part of your question. I have been on the Paradise many times and the Empress deck is not an upgrade in my opinion. I would book a cabin on the Main or the Upper deck if you are given the choice. The Empress deck is under a public deck with the galley, piano bar, the lounge, which can be very noisy. If you do end up on the Empress deck stay away from these areas!:)

As far as price drops, this ship does tend to clearance their fares toward the sailing date. The 4 day sailings more so then the 3 day if there are cabins available.

Don't look into booking an 1A unless someone wants to sleep in a bunk! They have bunkbeds in those rooms.

The bargain cabins on that ship are the portholes that are sold for the same price of a 4A. They are in the front of the ship but you will have natural light and they are cheap. Just stay away from the Empress deck with these ones because they are right under the showroom!

I would second that! Sure the Empress deck is at the lobby level, etc...but you run the risk of getting a cabin underneath the galley. i co-worker of mine had a cabin that must have been right underneath one of those industrial floor mounted-mixers. I also prefer the Upper or Main.

I can help you with the cabin part of your question. ...

Thank you. You guys make booking this trip a lot easier. I don't need to hesitate anymore. I'm booking right now. I'm staying on the main deck instead of the possible upgraded Empress deck. Since I'm staying on the main deck, the ES rate is $244/person and the 1-2-3 is $279/person. Like another poster said in my other post, it's an obvious choice.

Thank you!

Thank you. You guys make booking this trip a lot easier. I don't need to hesitate anymore. I'm booking right now. I'm staying on the main deck instead of the possible upgraded Empress deck. Since I'm staying on the main deck, the ES rate is $244/person and the 1-2-3 is $279/person. Like another poster said in my other post, it's an obvious choice.

Thank you!

Good choice!:)

Okay. Another question. Which is better? The main deck or the upper deck?

I prefer Upper...have had U164 3 times...but I wouldnt pay more between the two. Ive also had the Main deck and it was just fine. :)

Have fun on the Paradise! You might even get lucky (like I did) and get upgraded for free. Went from a PT room on the Riviera deck to an OV one on the Empress all the way in the back (it was slightly longer than a normal OV and had a bigger window ledge which my little boy enjoyed sitting in :D)

I will be sailing on her again this September and looking forward to it! :p

Thank you for your quick responses. I'm sorry for having so many question. Another one.

Since we are planning (I booked my cabin but my sister hadn't) to go together, my mom wants us to be close to each other. My sister is planning on taking her 3 kids so she needs a room for 5 people. On the main deck, we can be somewhat midship. On the upper deck, I only see room for 5 in the back or the front. Given the choices, will you go with the upper deck toward the front or toward the back, or stay in midship on the main deck? No price differences.

Thank you for your quick responses. I'm sorry for having so many question. Another one.

Since we are planning (I booked my cabin but my sister hadn't) to go together, my mom wants us to be close to each other. My sister is planning on taking her 3 kids so she needs a room for 5 people. On the main deck, we can be somewhat midship. On the upper deck, I only see room for 5 in the back or the front. Given the choices, will you go with the upper deck toward the front or toward the back, or stay in midship on the main deck? No price differences.

I personally prefer towards the back....the elevators near those cabins go right up to the food area and my DD likes to run up and bring back an omelette, etc in the morning. My PVP always likes to try to give me mid-ship, because they are the most sought after it seems, but we like the back.

• 1 year later...
I prefer Upper...have had U164 3 times...but I wouldnt pay more between the two. Ive also had the Main deck and it was just fine. :)

I just upgraded to this room for me, my mom and an aunt for April 12, 2012. :D Do you have any pictures that you would be willing to share with me? Is there a bed that drops down from the ceiling or does the couch get made up into a bed? I was also wondering about the noise since it is so close to the stairs and elevators. Do you hear people walking and talking a lot when they are there?

Archived