Snorkling & Pregnant

vnb101099

I don't see it being a problem.As long as you are otherwise active,snorkeling is just like swimming,only difference is you wont have to turn your head to take a breath.I say go for it and enjoy yourself!

1. Silly to ask this question here from a medical perspective sweetie - ask your doctor!

2. The only issue I'm aware of would involve the presence of marine mammals like dolphin. Occasionally 'swim with the dolphin' participants have found that the dolphins become excited and extra interested in a pregnant woman. Can they hear the extra heartbeat???? I dunno. But the concern is that the excited animal can bump the woman in a bad way and therefore pregnant (or just suspect) woman could be advised to avoid any chance of encountering a dolphin or porpoise.... This happened during our first swim with the dolphins experience over 20 years ago ... when swim with the dolphins was an underground attraction. The average sorkeling ecusion has about one chance in 1000 of encountering such an animal. But don't do a swim with the animals trip is my recommendation - if the Dr says OK!

Snorkeling while pregnant is no more risky than swimming while pregant, which is to say perfectly safe.

"Swimming and snorkeling during pregnancy are generally safe, but water-skiing has resulted in falls with injection of water into the birth canal and loss of the baby. Scuba diving is definitely not advised to any depth or at any stage of pregnancy."

"Swimming and water aerobics are great exercises for pregnant women.... And while scuba diving is out, snorkeling is safe for the fetus and mother-to-be."

http://www.pregnanttraveler.com/articles/02.html

http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,23488,00.html

The more important question is: Should you be cruising and pregnant at the same time??????????????

Cruise lines have very strict restrictions regarding that. And as a labor & delivery nurse, I would never chance it.

I have an upcoming cruise on 8/29 and thinking of trying snorkling. I haven't seen anywhere that I can't do this, so I was wandering if you think I can do this.

I guess a big consideration is how many weeks pregnant are you?

I'm within RCCL pregnant rules, I'm early in my second trimester. I've checked with my Dr. and they say cruising in fine. I am not high risk and have no problems so there is no reason why I can't. I plan on asking my dr also, but thought I would see what you guys thought. I would never do anything without my dr's permission. My plan is to just relax and have a good time. I have no plans to swim with the dolphins or scuba diving I know those things are things I can't do, but I was just asking for a little input on snorkling because I've never done it or seen how it was done. Thanks for all the responses.

I'm glad you asked. I will be pregnant on my 1st cruise, too. Not ideal, but I'm not high-risk. For the most part, I am not worried to go on a cruise when I am pregnant. I've had 2 miscarriages that we completely unrelated flukes that are EXTREMELY unlikely to happen again. I guess my point is you never know what's going to happen, so you may as well have some fun. As long as the Dr.'s think it is ok, then go for it!:)

I'm within RCCL pregnant rules, I'm early in my second trimester. I've checked with my Dr. and they say cruising in fine. I am not high risk and have no problems so there is no reason why I can't. I plan on asking my dr also, but thought I would see what you guys thought. I would never do anything without my dr's permission. My plan is to just relax and have a good time. I have no plans to swim with the dolphins or scuba diving I know those things are things I can't do, but I was just asking for a little input on snorkling because I've never done it or seen how it was done. Thanks for all the responses.

One thing you may find a bit different, is if you try to dive down a few feet. You may find this more difficult to do than before, both from not being able to jackknife your body as easily, and depending on how big your belly has gotten, your displacement increase may exceed your mass increase, so you will find you are also more bouyant. You might want to try it out in a pool first, about a week or so before your trip, keeping in mind that salt water is denser than fresh water, so is more difficult to dive in. Of course, if you are planning to stay on the surface, it won't matter.

1. Silly to ask this question here from a medical perspective sweetie - ask your doctor!

2. The only issue I'm aware of would involve the presence of marine mammals like dolphin. Occasionally 'swim with the dolphin' participants have found that the dolphins become excited and extra interested in a pregnant woman. Can they hear the extra heartbeat???? I dunno. But the concern is that the excited animal can bump the woman in a bad way and therefore pregnant (or just suspect) woman could be advised to avoid any chance of encountering a dolphin or porpoise.... This happened during our first swim with the dolphins experience over 20 years ago ... when swim with the dolphins was an underground attraction. The average sorkeling ecusion has about one chance in 1000 of encountering such an animal. But don't do a swim with the animals trip is my recommendation - if the Dr says OK!

Wow, I've never heard of that. I just found out I'm pregnant and had no idea a dolphin might do that but it makes sense with the extra heartbeat. Thanks for posting this.

On the dolphin swim and being pregnant- just had a funny story. On our first cruise (our honeymoon- hubby had returned home from Iraq a month before) I, thanks to cruise critic and other research, knew you should not be pregnant and do this trip. I had no reason to think I was pregnant (or no reason to think I was not- LOL). We were in the water with the dolphin and she kept coming up to me- once bumping into me and grabbing the top of my swimsuit bottoms trying to pull them down. I looked at my husband- a little worried - and said you don't think.....I mean could it be some kind of early detection sense they have. I have to say it did concern me a little and obviously concerned my husband too since after the encounter he went and asked one of the guide/trainers. He just laughed and said no- they just sometimes like to pick on people!!

We still laugh about that to this day!

Snorkeling is easy. You swim with a mask, fin and a "snorkel" that allows you to breathe while keeping your face in the water. You are just breathing through a tube. :) Like the other posters said just double check with your dr. I went on a cruise at 21 weeks. (yes, I did tell the cruiseline and I had my dr.'s note!) I had a wonderful time!! It was our "babymoon" before the baby. :)

Snorkeling is easy. You swim with a mask, fin and a "snorkel" that allows you to breathe while keeping your face in the water. You are just breathing through a tube. :) Like the other posters said just double check with your dr. I went on a cruise at 21 weeks. (yes, I did tell the cruiseline and I had my dr.'s note!) I had a wonderful time!! It was our "babymoon" before the baby. :)

Awww... "babymoon". I love that!! :)

Archived