Amalfi or Capri

Travel luv

This has really been a difficult decision to make so far after we found out that the port had been changed from Naples to Solerno. We are trying to decide on taking a small 3 hour excursion to Amalfi Coast versus a longer ride to the Island of Capri on our own. We had previously gotten excited about visiting the island of Capri only to find out that the ports were changed.

We figure if our primary goal is to to go up the mountain (can't recall the name) and eat lunch and come back, we should be able to get back to catch the ferry on time to get back to our ship. Now i'm wondering if it might be worth it to just consider Amalfi instead.

For those of you who have done both, which would you choose and why? Oh..by the way, can you do the Amalfi Coast on your own if you take a ferry?

Thanks

Don't know what ship you are on; I was on RCCL Voyager; they offered Almafi and Sorrento by motor launch; which was wonderful; we took a bus through down to Sorrento and made a stop and lunch and then on to a boat at I believe Salerno? the coast line was spectacular; much more to see than on a bus to Almafi; stopped at Almafi village for shopping and then back; I am going to the Island of Capri with lunch this time in October, but would have done the motor launch again.

Don't know what ship you are on; I was on RCCL Voyager; they offered Almafi and Sorrento by motor launch; which was wonderful; we took a bus through down to Sorrento and made a stop and lunch and then on to a boat at I believe Salerno? the coast line was spectacular; much more to see than on a bus to Almafi; stopped at Almafi village for shopping and then back; I am going to the Island of Capri with lunch this time in October, but would have done the motor launch again.

Hello Tahoemw,

We will be on the Constellation (Celebrity). By the way, how do you plan to get to the Island of Capri. Are you doing it on your own or throught the ship. Where will you all be docking?

You might find the Tripadvisor forum helpful ... here's a link to a thread re the ferry from Salerno-Capri, and there will probably be other threads on the Salerno forum with info on travel to Amalfi.

Thanks Susan. I just recently discovered that thread. I'm beginning to doubt if we will be able to pull off going to Capri on our own without anxiety around getting back.

Thanks Susan. I just recently discovered that thread. I'm beginning to doubt if we will be able to pull off going to Capri on our own without anxiety around getting back.

Maybe as your trip gets closer and you can confirm the ferry schedule for Salerno-Capri, it will make the decision easier.

We've done two cruises to that area and have put off going to Capri in order to visit other places ... next time.:) The Amalfi Coast is spectacular, so if you don't get to Capri, you'll have that nice option as a back up.

We have previously visited Capri and had intended to re-visit on our October cruise on Constellation but now port has changed have decided to do the Amalfi coast instead. My concern is the limited amount of ferries, when we last visited Capri which was also in October the crossing from Sorrento was very rough, if there are cancellations because of the sea there seems to be more choice if departing from Naples.

I would go to Capri over just Amalfi. Amalfi has a very nice church and a huge crowd. On Capri if you go to AnaCapri you can ride the chairlift to see the famous rocks. If you go to Capri go all the way to the monestary gardens to view the rocks and get away from the crowds. Amalfi didn't leave that good an impression with me. Ravello and Capri were better. Sorrento is a Tourist town. Just shops and tourist restaurants.We stayed there for five days. It is more a transportation hub for everyone visiting the area. Paestum -south of Salerno has amazing Greek ruins.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived