pre-cruise stay

Kazzykins

Hi, we are planning our next cruise and fancy doing a two week Southern Caribbean in Jan. We also want to fly from the UK a few days beforehand and stay somewhere in the US but I'm not sure how feasible this is. Any recommendations ? The planning excitement has already begun:D

Hi, we are planning our next cruise and fancy doing a two week Southern Caribbean in Jan. We also want to fly from the UK a few days beforehand and stay somewhere in the US but I'm not sure how feasible this is. Any recommendations ? The planning excitement has already begun:D

Are you planning to sail out of Florida or Puerto Rico? Book your cruise and then ask for advice.

Research the cruise line (s) that run cruises during the time period you want to travel. Then come back with the name of the Ports. All US ports will have hotels close to the Port. Some good some bad. Also, other will give ideas on things to see and do in the area once we know the city that you will staying in.

My example on this project is similiar to what you plan. In Dec this year I have booked a 15 day Panama Canal cruise leaving out of Los Angles.

I will fly down the day before and stay in a Hotel that is about two miles from the port. When I arrive at the Airport I will hire transportation with one of the local shuttle vans that are right out side of the airport for transportation to the Hotel. The next day the Hotel van will transport me and the Wife to the ship.

Bob

Hey there Kazzykins from Manchester -

I am a Salford girl but been living in U.S. for many, many years. I assume since you posted on Princess boards you are looking at a Princess cruise and since you said you wanted to spend a couple of days in the U.S. first, then I also assume you are looking at a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. If that is correct - then there are a couple of good hotels close to the port. The Hyatt is a good one and so is Embassy Suites. These are either right on or within walking distance to the inland waterways, which are nice for strolling, taking a water taxi and finding good restaurants. You are also within easy distance of good Ft. Lauderdale beaches and even an excursion to the fabulous everglades. You should check out the are on these boards that discuss the various Ports - I am sure you will find a load of helpful information.

Hey there Kazzykins from Manchester -

I am a Salford girl but been living in U.S. for many, many years. I assume since you posted on Princess boards you are looking at a Princess cruise and since you said you wanted to spend a couple of days in the U.S. first, then I also assume you are looking at a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. If that is correct - then there are a couple of good hotels close to the port. The Hyatt is a good one and so is Embassy Suites. These are either right on or within walking distance to the inland waterways, which are nice for strolling, taking a water taxi and finding good restaurants. You are also within easy distance of good Ft. Lauderdale beaches and even an excursion to the fabulous everglades. You should check out the are on these boards that discuss the various Ports - I am sure you will find a load of helpful information.

Thanks thats really useful! Never been to the US so have no idea what to do. Yes, was thinking of sailing from Ft. Lauderdale and maybe staying 3 or 4 days to experience a tiny taste of the US before we sail. Looking forward already. Kaz from a very warm but wet Eccles, Manchester :D

If you can do 5 or 6 days, and budget permits, you could fly in a little north or west of Ft. Lauderdale and do a pre-cruise road trip. Or if you have never been, Orlando is only a few hours from the major FL ports.

Thanks thats really useful! Never been to the US so have no idea what to do. Yes, was thinking of sailing from Ft. Lauderdale and maybe staying 3 or 4 days to experience a tiny taste of the US before we sail. Looking forward already. Kaz from a very warm but wet Eccles, Manchester :D

Hello Kazzykins:

In Nov. 2008, we were a group of 11 that went on a Panama Cruise, out of FLL, 7 of us,

including friends from Denmark, met in Orlando, where we rented a car, and drove to “Coco

Beach”, where we had reserved rooms at a motel, from there, we could walk the beach, and we

spent a day at “Kennedy Space Center” which was very interesting, after seeing the launches on

TV. After 3 days we picked up a second car, and drove to the north end of “Fort Lauderdale”

beach area, to another motel, from there we drove to the “Everglades”, took a trip on the air

boats, and saw the wild life there including crocodiles, toured the area beaches and restaurants.

The whole trip was enjoyed by all!! :D :rolleyes:

The day of the sailing we drove to the air port, which is close to Port Everglades (the cruise port),

turned in the cars, and took taxis to the docks.

Cato :)

catolga28@shaw.ca

Passed Cruises !First cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

Second cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

Third cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

Fourth cruise - Golden Princes, 12 November 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

Future & Hopeful Cruises !( Already booked )

Fifth & (hopefully Platinum member cruise), Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver -LA

Repositioning .

Sixth cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

Seventh cruise - Crown Princess, 26 Mach 2011, 7 day Western Carribean, LA to LA

Eighth cruise - Emerald Princess, 04 June 2011, 11 day Baltic, Copenhagen to Copenhagen

It's a good idea to get to your embarkation port at least a day ahead anyway. And you'll have a long flight to recover from so it makes extra sense in your case.

Usually we have sailed out of our home port (an hour's drive from home), but when we have left from a port that we have to travel to, we have always gone at least a day ahead. Besides ensuring that we're there (with all the possible problems involving flights -- weather, labor problems, mechanical problems, etc., flights can be delayed or even cancelled), we can relax, have a pleasant dinner, go to a store and get the things we didn't want to travel with (soda, water, box o'wine, anything we forgot to bring).

Florida is a heavy duty tourism state so there's plenty of things to do. We have sailed out of Miami twice (and stayed once for a week-long post-cruise visit in Miami and the Keys). It sounds like there's interesting places to visit in the FLL area too.

Archived