Santorini cable car

rachly

Don't think about walking up unless you're in great shape. I rode the donkey and loved it. But it was late November so it wasn't hot and they didn't stink. The view on the way up/down is spectacular.

Here's a photo if that's any help. (I don't recall if the windows open at the top for ventilation or not.)

Walking is an option (but not an easy one) if you are up to hiking the path (approx. 1/2 mile long with 600 steps and an elevation of ~700 feet.) and dodging the donkeys & droppings.

Sounds like the donkeys could be your best option, or you could opt for a ship's tour that takes you to Athinios to meet the bus, although some tours leave you in Fira at the end of the tour & that would mean having to get down the path or take the cable car at the end of the day.

I think you should be fine using the cable car. We were there twice last month. Took the cable car on the first trip and rode the donkey on the second trip. At least the cable car is quick, it's over with in a few minutes. The donkeys may walk quite close to the edge of the trail sometimes, and that can be scary also.

This picture shows the cable car on the left and the zig-zag trail is for the donkeys and those who choose to walk.

DSCN4668.jpg

The cars are completely enclosed. There are two bench seats in each car, facing each other (i.e. inwards), and each seat can take 3 people. So each car holds 6 people when full, and they face each other. There are windows all round, and I'm pretty sure that something or other opens for ventilation. The trip lasts just under 3 minutes.

Here's my picture of the cars:

600_DSC_0269.jpg

Archived