Dining Room Disasters: What's the worst dish you've had on Carnival?

Generally, I've been very impressed by Carnival's MDR menu. I've never had anything I didn't love...except for once.

One night I ordered the diet pumpkin pie. I'm pretty sure it was just a goof in the kitchen, but the pie came out wobbling like jell-o on the plate. I took a bite of the shiny texture and tasted no pumpkin or even sweetness, but something like pure baking soda! Fortunately we were brought a different dessert very quickly, and the staff apologized. Now like I said, I highly doubt it was supposed to taste like that, so it's not an attack on the recipe. But man...was it bad! :p

Do you have any memories of dining disasters, or just something Carnival could improve on in general? Feel free to share.

Some turkey main dish thing. My daughter ordered it and wouldn't eat it. I thought she was being a picky teen. . . until I tried it. It was supposed to be with gravy and stuffing but had a kind of sweet taste. Not appetizing at all. . .

I had this on the Dream:

Dream249.jpg

It wasn't bad but it was WAY overshadowed by the other items I had ordered. That little pasta dish was a bit dry and a bit bland. I'm used to having a LOT of flavor in my pasta sauce and this was a tad disappointing...

:)

Several years ago I ordered the Seafood Neuberg and it was a tad to fishy for my taste. And one time I ordered an appetizer that had calamari in it that was almost as tuff as trying to chew a rubber band.

Flat Iron Steak: my two were as hard as a iron---Carnival must be buying up Golden Corral's rejects.Easy to see one of the major cut backs is the quality of the beef---I miiss the Filet Mignon,T bones, etc.

I had read so much about how wonderful the flat iron steak was....even people who ordered it every night (like I did with the warm chocolate melting cake). So of course, I ordered my first night. Was not impressed at all. Everything else I had was wonderful.....

One of our cruise buds has an iron and stomach and will eat anything...he ordered some seafood dish one night on the Pride when it was sailing out of Port Canaveral. The waiter raised his eyebrows and said "are you sure" but he ordered it anyway.

Our waiter brought it and set it down in from of him then just stood back. Our whole table of 6 burst out laughing it. It looked like a huge turd covered in green seaweed and stunk like rotten fish. :eek: I wish I knew what it was called.

Our bud just said, you know I don't think I can eat that. The waiter said "I know, now what would you like?" And was laughing out loud as he left the table.

As for the diet pumpkin pie..I ordered that once and our waiter wrinkled up his nose and shook his head no. I ordered something different. :D

There is a mexican dish on the menu could be chili rellenos that generally is very good and not that spicy.

A few cruises ago it was way over the top.

No big deal as I than just ordered a flat iron steak. I enjoy them.

One of our cruise buds has an iron and stomach and will eat anything...he ordered some seafood dish one night on the Pride when it was sailing out of Port Canaveral. The waiter raised his eyebrows and said "are you sure" but he ordered it anyway.

Our waiter brought it and set it down in from of him then just stood back. Our whole table of 6 burst out laughing it. It looked like a huge turd covered in green seaweed and stunk like rotten fish. :eek: I wish I knew what it was called.

Our bud just said, you know I don't think I can eat that. The waiter said "I know, now what would you like?" And was laughing out loud as he left the table.

As for the diet pumpkin pie..I ordered that once and our waiter wrinkled up his nose and shook his head no. I ordered something different. :D

Good waiter. :D

Our head waiter on the Liberty last month gave us his best recommendations every single night. He was dead on every time. He also would tell us the things to avoid, and although he said he couldn't recommend it, I ordered the dreaded sugar-free pumpkin pie. It was beyond nasty!

He also didn't recommend the chateaubriand and a few people in my family ordered it anyway. They ALL ordered something else after tasting it. I guess it pays to listen to your waiter.

Yep. I've been steered in the right direction many times and it's so funny when people go ahead and order something the waiter tries to discourage them from. The waiter always has that "I tried to warn you" look on his face.

Funny story!

Some turkey main dish thing. My daughter ordered it and wouldn't eat it. I thought she was being a picky teen. . . until I tried it. It was supposed to be with gravy and stuffing but had a kind of sweet taste. Not appetizing at all. . .

I agree entirely -- and what was worse was, I had that unappetizing turkey on Thanksgiving on my honeymoon. :(

My worse dish was Duck. I even tried it on two different cruises, different ships.

Horrible.

I'm sure it is the Duck and not the way it is cooked.

Well, actually it is the way it is cooked (med rare), but that is the reason I hate Duck. I like my birds cooked thru and thru, not slimy and half raw.

Andy

:eek:

my worse dish was duck. I even tried it on two different cruises, different ships.

Horrible.

I'm sure it is the duck and not the way it is cooked.

Well, actually it is the way it is cooked (med rare), but that is the reason i hate duck. I like my birds cooked thru and thru, not slimy and half raw.

Andy

ditto!!

I ordered the spinach lasagna in June, 2010. There was so much spinach, you could hardly see the noodles, etc. It went back and I ordered something else.

That is the first time I have ever sent something back, but it was terrible!

My worse dish was Duck. I even tried it on two different cruises, different ships.

Horrible.

I'm sure it is the Duck and not the way it is cooked.

Well, actually it is the way it is cooked (med rare), but that is the reason I hate Duck. I like my birds cooked thru and thru, not slimy and half raw.

Andy

Worse is when Donald is still walking around the plate.

I have to say that the flat iron steak is not my favorite either. I had it once and just won't order it again.

I *do* love our MDR waiters. I have had more than one look doubtfully at me for trying to order something. Picking up on their body language, I quickly and dutifully ordered something different. Even something I wasn't even interested in and then ended up really enjoying it.

Gotta love those Carnival waiters!

Archived