My Superbowl Week Cruise Line Experience

BevMoney

Well I am fresh back from freezing, yes freezing in Jax, Fl during Superbowl week. Believe it or not I had to return to Philly to thaw. I had a very good time in Jax until around 10 pm on Sunday for obvious reasons - Why Eagles Why??? :(

During my stay in Jax, I suggested that we visit one of the cruise ships that were docked for use as hotel rooms for some of the superbowl's corporate bigwigs. Some of the ships had special private programs during the day and some offered the chance for the general public to have breakfast or lunch on board and tour the ship.

I thought this was an excellent opportunity to get some of my family members who are really reluctant to try cruising to sample some good food and tour one of the best ships around. However, I apparently did not do my homework very well. For some reason I thought that RCCL's Navigator was going to be there but it seems that I got it mixed up with some other ship called "Navigator", which looked like a puny lil yacht docked at the Jax Landing. Needless to say that everyone was dissapointed and I felt bad after pumping it up to certain people in our group who had never been on cruise as I was telling them all about this great big ship that was similar to the Voyager I went on 2 years ago.

So we decided to visit Carnival's Miracle which apparently could not dock at the downtown landing because of its size (Apparently the city made a major snafu in that promotion). Anyway, we had to board the ship by 6:30am and could stay on til 10 am. The cost was $24. I thought it was going to be a buffet style breakfast (a la Windjammer) but it was actually held in the dining room. Again, I got some rolled eyes from the group, LOL. I ended up ordering a small omelet, bacon, a pastry, hot tea and orange juice. Not exactly worth $24 but hey, its superbowl week so you get super prices!

I haven't been on a Carnival ship since 1997 when I took a 3 day cruise on the Ectasy-which I was not reallly empressed with. I was looking forward to seeing how a newer ship compared to the Ectasy and to RCCL's ships. Unfortunately, I was again dissapointed in that the decor, while toned down a bit - was still gawdy and the public rooms were just too small. The elevator claimed it could hold 18 people - I think not.

We looked at that lil atrium and said the Voyager has spoiled us beyond the point of no return. There's no way we can leave the promenade!!

VIVA RCCL Forever!!!

BTW,was anyone else in Jax last week?

Archived