Questions about safety when cruising with kids

cmh1976

Hi

We are planning on taking a cruise next year around June when our kids get out of school and had a few questions. I'm hoping someone can help.

If we go on Carnival and we take our youngest (8 yr old) to the camp carnival, how are we notified if he wants to leave early? Is there a bathroom in the area that he will be at or will he need to leave the "camp"? Same applies if he wants something to eat as well.

To keep this short, basically, how do we get in touch with our kids & vs when they are involved in an activity and need us before the program ends? I hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

It's been since 2003 since we've been on Carnival, but I'm guessing they still lend out a pager to the parents at the beginning of the cruise. If you are needed to return before the session is over, you'll be paged.

There are bathroom facilities in the kids' area. I can't remember if they serve snacks. But on port days when our daughter went there, the staff will take the kids to lunch.

Hi

We are planning on taking a cruise next year around June when our kids get out of school and had a few questions. I'm hoping someone can help.

If we go on Carnival and we take our youngest (8 yr old) to the camp carnival, how are we notified if he wants to leave early? Is there a bathroom in the area that he will be at or will he need to leave the "camp"? Same applies if he wants something to eat as well.

To keep this short, basically, how do we get in touch with our kids & vs when they are involved in an activity and need us before the program ends? I hope this makes sense.

There is an are here at Cruise Critic for Family Cruises, in the Special Interest Cruising board. there are lots of folks there who travel with children and can answer you questions. they also have copies of the camp activities that might interest you. EM

Until they turn 9 they cannot leave the camp unless you check them out and show your S&S card (or anyone you have allowed to check them out and have let them know). At 9 you can allow your child to check themselves out or you can not allow it. They were very hard nosed about showing your card when checking them in or out.

There are times that the whole group will leave the camp (at least with my 9 year old) but the camper to adult ratio is nice. Our son loved the camp.

If there is an issue they can probably page you over the PA as well.

Hi

I have not sailed Carnival (only Disney and Royal Caribbean), but here's how it worked on those ships:

Every night you'll find a kids' newsletter (specific for your kids' age groups) on your bed. This'll tell you what the kids' clubs are doing the next day; thus, your children can decide that they want to take part in the Science at Sea activity at 10:00 AM and go with the group to lunch at the burger place, but they aren't interested in the movie that's being shown at 12:00, so they want you to pick them up then. The activities are varied and appeal to kids. They'll offer sports, crafts, dancing, video game contests, etc.

Yes, if the kids are there over a meal time, they will be taken to eat. The daily newspaper'll let you know where they're eating. If they eat at a place that charges a fee, the fee is waived for the kids who come with the kids' clubs. They always offer a meal for kids on formal night. They do not have snacks sitting around mid-meal, but I seem to remember water fountains.

Yes, there's a bathroom. Disney was the best about cleanliness; when a child arrived, he was immediately ushered over to the sinks to wash his hands before being allowed to enter the play space.

When my girls were younger, we had to drop them off and pick up a pager. Once they reach a certain age (and I don't know what it is 'cause my youngest is 13), they're allowed to sign themselves in/out. At an "in between age" YOU can decide whether to allow this or not. You have to go in and sign them up for the kids' club on the first night, and that's when you get to say whether they can sign themselves in/out. It's also when you write down allergies, etc.

Finally, on the first night of the cruise you need to force your children to go to the kids' club. That's when the counselors are really going all-out to help them make new friends, and if you wait 'til a day or two into the cruise kids'll be "paired up" with buddies.

One negative -- I know I said "finally", but I was lying -- they tend to design the kids' clubs so that you'll have to walk through the arcade to get there. No chance of pretending you didn't know that expensive rip-off was onboard.

I feel alittle less worried now! Thanks so much for all the info. It's really helpful.

I did have one other question..... We were planning the cruise for June 11th, is that early enough that we won't have to worry about a hurricane? (Thinking of going to the Bahamas)

Another thing I remember about Carnival is that the only times parents are allowed in the actual rooms is the first night (for sign up) and the last night when returning the pager that you had signed out for the whole cruise.

There are dutch doors (the lower is kept locked) and the staffer will greet you at the door with the clipboard that you are to sign on. I believe that the parent who had signed in the kid must also be the one to sign out the kid for that session.

If I also remember correctly, you will receive a packet of the day by day schedule at the start of the cruise for Carnival (on Princess, they are in the cabin when you first arrive; if not on Carnival, the packets will be at the kids' area to pick up).

Our experience with Camp Carnival was wonderful! Our daughter is 3 and never been left alone with anyone not close family or friends so we were a little worry she might not be up for it but boy were we wrong and it was very safe. Grouped according to her age and only people you authorized on the day of sign up are allowed to pick them up with Sign and Sail Card and you are given a cell phone for the entire cruise to use if they need to contact you. It also works to call your room or any other extension on the ship. Came in very handy when I got carried away and lost track of time and my girlfriend thought I was kidnapped or thrown over board lol. She is a worry wort!

Archived