QM2 out of NYC

nancystn

We are also sailing March 25th but live in NYC. How far is Mt.Tabor from Manhattan and are you all traveling from same or close town? Car service is total pleasure if you can all fit, 6 people plus luggage; I try not to drive or park myself unless there is no other way. I think the ship sails from pier 92 (52nd st and 12th Ave (Hudson River), since this is where she sailed from last year,but this is not confirmed. Cannot imagine long term parking is cheaper or more convenient if you can find a Suburban or van to bring you, but its worth a call to Cunard to check. Nice to see others are on this trip.

Hi! We are also on this cruise. We're from Philadelphia and plan to drive and park at the Pier. To the last poster: Can you pay by credit card or do you need cash for the parking fee? However, in the past when traveling with another couple we've hired a limo to and from the pier and it was a wonderful experience and a relaxing way to start a cruise.

i would suggest that you take a limo either a stretch or a van rt 22 limo in hilldside has always had the cheapest price and best service. phone the dispatcher when you are getting your luggage and they be at the pickup are by the time you get down to street level.bon voyage

Thanks for the input. I think a driver and van are the way to go. It will be close to the cost of parking anyway. I'll try the Rt. 22 in Hillside, thanks 2Moose. Look forward to a Cunard cruise, it will be our first. We have been on RCI 3 times, Celebrity once and NCL America's Pride of Aloha last August, that's another story!

After calculating what the parking would cost for 8 days, I think we are also opting for either a shuttle which would be cheaper or a Lincoln Town Car service which is only a little bit more. Probably will opt for the Town Car for just being comfortable. We've driven to the pier area in New York several times and have always had a bit of a problem with directions.

nancystn -- so Pride of Aloha was awful? Was that one of the cruises that they gave you a credit for another cruise because the service was so bad?

I feel that each cruiseline or ship has its own distinct personality. I heard one gentlemen say when asked which was his favorite ship, that it's like a man with many lovely daughters -- each is beautiful in her own unique way and he loves them all equally. I read a review of the Queen Mary 2 that made me laugh because it was very negative. Some of the things the poster complained about were -- no fun and games by the pool, not alot of activities for her small children, etc. Here's where I think just a bit of research comes in. If you want those things, you might want to choose one of the many more mainstream cruiselines. We sailed on the QE 2 on a 10-day transatlantic in steerage (upper and lower bunks) and had a WONDERFUL time -- but we had equally as wonderful times on all our other cruises. It's just a matter of enjoying each ship for what it has to offer and not trying to make it into something it is not. Just my little thought for the day. :) (By the way, this is more a comment regarding people and their misconceptions about the Queen Mary 2, NOT in reference to nancystn's comment about Pride of Aloha. I've heard other stories about how they had some major problems with staffing an all American crew on their Hawaii cruises.)

To reply to DawnPrincess comment - Amen - I just got off QM2 Caribbean Jan 15 - 22. I could not find anything to fault. And I made the same comment, do your homework - if you're not looking for the type ship as Cunard, then take some other cruise line - there are plenty that offer all styles and prices. I would do QM2 again in a heartbeat. It is so beautiful and regal. I posted a rather long member review yesterday that was very positive -

A lady in our office did the Pride of Aloha last October - she said it was OK. I had given her some of cruise critic comments so she would be prepared - she was glad I did or else she would have been disappointed.

Yes, the prior posters are correct. You can park at the pier. The rate is $24 / day. There is a monthly parking rate of a flat $180 for parking in excess of 8 days. Tax included in both prices. The telephone is (212) 641-4454. They do take credit cards (pay when you enter, not when you leave).

As usual, the parking authority disclaims any responsibility for anything that happens to the car while parked there. When you enter, there will be a security check (usually a dog walkaround). I used it last fall and found it very convenient.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the responses! We are going by limo co., a large van. The total both wayswith tolls and grat. will be a little less then $300.00, $100. per couple. One of our guys and one of our gals is handicapped, so it will be a lot easier for them. Does anyone know how they assign embarkation times? We of course want to get on board ASAP, but don't want our two with physical problems to suffer on long lines. Thanks again, everyone.

On most ships, handicapped folks get to get straight ahead with the VIPs, etc.

We're also from NJ, going on the 3/25. Getting excited! We'll most likely drive ourselves because we have to pick up our dogs from the kennel on the day we get back. If we take the limo/car svc home, then get in our vehicle to drive to the kennel, they could close since they have short hours that day. The next day the kennel is closed, I think, so it would mean a much longer stay for our dogs which none of us want. We went by Town Car to the Zenith in NY several years ago. We took a limo to Newark Airport last year to go to Hawaii- very nice treatment though it was like 3AM. (pulled an allnighter that time :) )

See you all soon!

-Brian

I've heard the time you are supposed to board will be included in final docs, but not sure how it is determined. However, I've also heard that people show up when they want and that they are allowed to board earlier after a wait. I believe there is plenty of seating available while you wait so it shouldn't be too much of a problem for your friends with disabilities.

gardenbunny, I'd like to know if the buffet is open for lunch when we board. I heard one poster say you'd better eat lunch beforehand because nothing at all is open until dinner time. But that seems hard to believe.

We also are opting for van transportation roundtrip from Philly --- about $150 for the two of us. The Lincoln town car price quote was for one way which makes it too expensive.

Which company did you use? Is it a Philly company? The quotes I got were pretty pricey, so I decided to fly from LAG to Philly on a free USAir voucher I had and then will taxi home from the airport. I live in Old City and it's a quick ride for $20.00 = tip. However, I arrive in NY in September after a crossing on Seabourn Pride and might opt to try your method.

Jane in PHL

Hi janepond,

Not sure if you're talking to me (dawnprincess) or to one of the replies below (above?). I live in Philly the other people live in NY or NJ. The shuttle service from Philly is called Dave's Best Limo/Shuttle out of N.E. Philadelphia. We are also looking into a cheaper price quote we got from a limo company. Not sure if it will pan out or not.

Just got our docs yesterday!! Nothing too exciting in the booklet, besides the cruise ticket of course, but happy to have these in our possession.

Hi Venango,

We've used Dave's Best Limo in the past. They are reliable in that they WILL show up -- however, the pickup time is not always exact. For a cruise, it's not quite so crucial as for an airline drop. I usually lie about what time my flight is to assure that I'll get to the airport on time. Obviously, when they're picking up lots of people, the schedule can get a bit backed up. If you want to be at the pier at a certain time, I'd tell them you want a pick up time that's maybe a half hour before what you think you'd need to get there by that time. That gives you a little 'cushion' to allow for a late pickup, traffic, etc.

Archived