Cave Tubing or Snorkeling

bankerbabe

So, I'm torn between the two activities.

Hubby and I really like to snorkel, the kids are not averse to it, but haven't really taken to it like we have (though, to be fair, they only had one cruise to try it, and the water was rather rough that week).

I've heard that snorkeling in Belize can be very good, due to the barrier reef. I've also been reading and looking at pictures from the cave tubing sites, and I think that it looks like fun.

Can someone offer some insite that might help me to solve my dilemma? What a fantastic dilemma to have, by the way :)

Some info that may be helpful:

We are sailing on the Carnival Valor, with stops in Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. DH and I are 37. Kids will be 15 and 10 at the time so plenty old enough to do either activity. We plan on having beach days in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Still unsure about our plans for Roatan, since we don't sail until March of 2011 we have time to think.

My vote would be for the cave-tubing. It is a unique and fun adventure. You can snorkle most anywhere, but Cave Tubing is "the" thing to do in Belize (at least once).

Don't go through the ship. Search these boards for lots of info on good tour companies. Pick one of those, and you'll have a good time.

We loved this tour!

I have to agree with GinDon. You can probably snorkel at all of the rest of your ports. You cannot cave tube anywhere else in the world that I know of.

If you haven't done it, you need to. This is one of a very few places where it is a available. I booked a cruise to Belize just for the cavetubing and we couldn't tender in because of bad weather. I had to book the same cruise one year later. It was well worth the wait.

I must admit that Belize has some good snorkeling but you will have other ports that are as good. We did this itinerary on the Valor last year. We snorkeled Cemetary Beach (so so) in Grand Cayman and Tabyana(nice;)) on Roatan. I tried to book a trip with Upachaya Resort but they were booked. You might want to google them.

Definitely cave tubing. Like others have said, there are plenty of places where there is good snorkeling. But the cave tubing is a unique experience you can't find just anywhere. I'd do that and do an excursion to Stingray City in Grand Cayman if you haven't been there before, can see the stingrays and snorkel.

My vote would be for the cave-tubing. It is a unique and fun adventure. You can snorkle most anywhere, but Cave Tubing is "the" thing to do in Belize (at least once).

Don't go through the ship. Search these boards for lots of info on good tour companies. Pick one of those, and you'll have a good time.

We loved this tour!

I was thinking about going cave tubing with Dave from cavetubingrus. Have you heard any info about his company before i book it

I was thinking about going cave tubing with Dave from cavetubingrus. Have you heard any info about his company before i book it

We used Major and Minor Tom and I couldn't recommend them any more highly. They were absolutely fantastic and made it more fun from a detailed explanation of the plants and insects in the jungle to jumping off of the bluff into the river after we were done tubing...for those who wanted to. Just google cave tubing in Belize and you should be able to find them.

We used Major and Minor Tom and I couldn't recommend them any more highly. They were absolutely fantastic and made it more fun from a detailed explanation of the plants and insects in the jungle to jumping off of the bluff into the river after we were done tubing...for those who wanted to. Just google cave tubing in Belize and you should be able to find them.

This is the tour operator my daughter used in 2009, we are going to Belize with with my dd and her bf this October and we have already booked again with Major Tom. My dd loved it last year and cant wait for us to try this year! I am glad you loved it too!

Archived