Adult Only Age

English Rose

Can anyone tell me what age they consider 'adult' in the adult only areas? On RCCL it is 16 for the adult only pools and hot tubs. I'm hoping this is the case as I have a 17 year old and a 19 year old and it won't be nice if we all want to go to the pool at the back and we can't because leaving one out is not nice. Even 17 year olds can get a need for peace and quiet from younger kids. Also, can they go to the nightclubs with their parents at this age? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure it was 18 at least. I doubt they would bother a 17 year old with their parents and older sibling though. Especially as long as they weren't bothering anyone. However, I don't recommend the pool in the back of the ship. It's heated(hot) and there is hardly anyone in it because who wants to swim in a big hot pool when it's 90 degrees outside? There are 2 hot tubs right next to it. It seems that it would make more sense to have the pool cold but that's my opinion. The 2 main pools were never really crowded compared to most ships, it seems that the water slides keep everyone busy and away from the pools.

Adult = 18 years. They way they check is if your stateroom card has a corner cut off, you are underage. I guess this is also how they check to see if you are old enough to buy alcohol.

I found the pools on the main deck also very warm. Not refreshing at all.

I'm pretty sure it was 18 at least. I doubt they would bother a 17 year old with their parents and older sibling though. Especially as long as they weren't bothering anyone. However, I don't recommend the pool in the back of the ship. It's heated(hot) and there is hardly anyone in it because who wants to swim in a big hot pool when it's 90 degrees outside? There are 2 hot tubs right next to it. It seems that it would make more sense to have the pool cold but that's my opinion. The 2 main pools were never really crowded compared to most ships, it seems that the water slides keep everyone busy and away from the pools.

Just as a few of us predicted when those that had taken the TA moaned at the size of the pools.

Is there a list of places/restaurants that are adult only? I just want to know what to avoid when I have my kids around and where I might want to check out when they are doing their club activities.

There are really only a few adult only areas. Spice H20, POSH, the Spa, and the bars after a certain hour at night.

Got this off NCL web page. This might help you.

What are NCL's Age Requirements?

Company policy dictates that a passenger under 21 years of age must be accompanied in the same or connecting stateroom by a passenger 21 years or older who expressly agrees to be responsible for the under 21 passenger throughout the cruise. This includes, but is not limited to, preventing under-age purchase or consumption of alcohol**, preventing under-age gaming activities and preventing violations of any ship's rules. Passengers must be age 21 to purchase or consume alcohol and age 18 to gamble on the ship. If the accompanying adult is not the minor's parent or legal guardian a Parent/Guardian Consent & Release Form (pdf) that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to an NCL representative at the pier. Failure to produce this letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied, with no refund of cruise fare provided.

Please note that infants under six months of age are not eligible to travel on NCL ships.

Note: Two people under the age of 21 may travel together in the same stateroom without someone over the age of 21 in the same stateroom if they purchased the cruise under the family plan and have at least one person who is 21 years or older in the adjoining stateroom. The age limit will be waived for married couples less than 21 years of age provided proof of marriage is presented to an NCL representative at the pier.

**With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, NCL permits guests between the ages of eighteen (18) and twenty (20) to purchase and personally consume wine and beer while on NCL ships with the consent of an accompanying parent or legal guardian ("Parental Consent") on the same sailing when the vessel is outside the US state territorial waters (3 miles). Complete details and the Parental Consent form are available on board at the Reception Desk.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like they are pretty strict then. On RCCL, adult areas (other than the pools which were 16) were all 18. Can't wait to get on board and find out how it all works on NCL.

My DH & I will spend time at the adults only Spice H20 pool.

Will our teens (15 & 16 yrs) be permitted to enter Spice H20 to check in & go on their way? If not, what are the alternatives?

Not sure if they will let them in, but you can get walkie talkies and communicate that way.

My DH & I will spend time at the adults only Spice H20 pool.

Will our teens (15 & 16 yrs) be permitted to enter Spice H20 to check in & go on their way? If not, what are the alternatives?

No, they shouldn't be allowed in the adults only area at all. If you need to check on them, you should leave the adults area and find them. If a 15 year old is allowed in the adults-only area, then someone with a 13 year old would want their child to have the same opportunity, then a 10 year old would want to come "check in" with their parents, then an 8 year old, and so on.

I personally plan to report anyone who appears underage to security. No offense to you or your family, but an adults-only area means just that....adults only.

I personally plan to report anyone who appears underage to security. No offense to you or your family, but an adults-only area means just that....adults only.

Maybe you can ask for a whistle and an orange vest. Not sure playing hall monitor would be very relaxing to me, but to each their own.

I can surely see teens needing to check in with parents occasionally. As long as it’s a quick in and out, I wouldn’t think it’s a problem. Teens don’t need parents to check them in and out of the teen club, so they are free to come and go. I would be much more comfortable having my kids check in every couple hours. The 12 and under crowd can’t check themselves out of the kids clubs, so I see this as only being a teen issue.

Just my .02 worth.

Mark

I can surely see teens needing to check in with parents occasionally. As long as it’s a quick in and out, I wouldn’t think it’s a problem.

I disagree. An adults-only area means just that. Adults only. I don't think any parent has the right to break the rules set into place. If someone is that worried about their child, they should leave the adults-only area to check in with their kids somewhere else on the ship.

But this is a lose-lose situation. Parents with kids often think rules don't apply to their children, and will break the rules simply to benefit themselves without regards to others. And adults like me with no kids who wants to keep an adults-only area kid free, well we're the ones who get bashed as kid haters.

But I do like the whistle and orange vest idea! Kids under the age of 18 need to stay the heck away from the adults-only areas, because I know there are LOTS of people who agree with me and will happily point out any rule-breaking kids to security! Simply put, NO kids should be allowed in adults-only designated areas. :D

Archived